Search Unity

Resolved Android devices listed as compatible for ARCore, but don't show in Play Console 'Device Catalogue'

Discussion in 'AR' started by MattJackB, Apr 25, 2022.

1. MattJackB

MattJackB

Hi There,

We're having trouble with some Android users not being able to find our app. Using a direct link takes users to the page, but gives them a message saying their device isn't compatible with this version.

For example, this list shows that Samsung Galaxy A8 should be compatible. However on the Google Play Console > Reach and Devices > Device Catalogue, Samsung Galaxy A8 is not there and therefore not compatible.
    - List of ARCore supported devices: https://developers.google.com/ar/devices#google_play_devices

I'll try and list some Unity build settings that might possibly be useful to know:
    - Minimum API = 24, and target = 32
    - Target Devices = All Devices
    - Architectures ARMv7 and ARMv64 are both checked
    - Graphics API set to just OpenGLES3
    - Scripting Backend = IL2CPP
    - API Compatibility Level = .NET Standard 2.0

Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

2. andyb-unity

andyb-unity

Unity Technologies

Note that there is a separate list for devices sold in the China region, which could be the source of the issue.

For any further assistance with this issue, we recommend reaching out to Google at their repo: https://github.com/google-ar/arcore-android-sdk

AeOngDev likes this.
  3. MattJackB

MattJackB

Thanks for the help, I had no idea about that so I'll keep it in mind for the future!

Unfortunately the device that we were testing with was bought in the UK, so this wasn't the issue.

However, I have solved the issue! I realised that on the Google Play Console you can filter and view all android devices. From there I was able to search and find the device that we were having trouble with. Clicking on the device's details, it brings up a page giving you more information as to why the device isn't compatible!

It turns out the device didn't support the 'Depth API', so, within the Unity ARCore Project Settings I set 'Depth' to 'Optional' since it wasn't needed for our application. Doing this took our app from being compatible with 513 devices to 982 devices!!

I didn't read the pop-up letting you know that this will restrict the number of compatible devices, silly mistake!

AeOngDev likes this.