Search Unity

1. Get all the Unite Berlin 2018 news on the blog.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2018.2 has arrived! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Android] Coinlay - Guide your Hero to safety! [FREE]

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by CatsEleven, Dec 31, 2017.

1. CatsEleven

CatsEleven

Hello

My name is Lewis Reid and I've just released my game, Coinlay, on the Google Play Store. Coinlay is a weird mix between a Puzzle game, an Endless Runner and a Roguelike that has you guide a somewhat dumb hero throughout a dungeon by placing coins for them to follow.

I made this game because I wanted to create something similar to the 2D Zeldas but the touch screen controls for other games in this style had always frustrated me. So I decided to make a game about the frustration of accidentally having your hero fall down a bottomless pit or run into a trap.

You can download it from the Play Store here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.SleepingPup.Coinlay&hl=en

Looking forward to hearing what people think.

Magiichan and theANMATOR2b like this.
  2. Steven-1

Steven-1

Looks cool, I'm gonna try it now :)

( btw, maybe post a screenshot here, for people that are to lazy to click the link :p )

Edit:
    It's really cool! would be a great minigame in a zelda like game!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    CatsEleven likes this.
  3. CatsEleven

CatsEleven

I'm glad to hear you like it! Great idea about the screenshots too, I should have included it in the OP.

These screenshots and the others on the store page only show the first dungeon too, there are quite a few others each with a cool theme and mechanic! I'm interested to see if anyone is able to complete them all :cool:

4. CatsEleven

CatsEleven

5. Steven-1

Steven-1

I've played it quite a bit, I got to the 4th dungeon, and I really like it! It's nice how the different dungeons each have their own unique theme and matching mechanic.
    (Took me some time to understand how the water dungeon worked though, luckily there's one room that perfectly demonstrates how it works, but after I figured it out, I really like it)

(Also, I have to say, I'm a sucker for the 8-bit zelda-like look)

But I have to say, while I enyojed playing the first 3 dungeons, the forgotten workshop feels completely unfair. And there's a simpel reason for that; there is no indication in which direction the bladespinners will go. And there' no room for error, when you enter a room you have to guess, and if you guess wrong you're instantly dead.
    While the rooms in the other dungeons could be completed on your first try (with some quick thinking), most of the rooms in the 4th dungeon require you to memorize the bladespinners movement. Memorizing it eventually allowed me to reach the 5th floor, upon which I entered a new room, guessed wrong and died. (with no key)

So my biggest suggestion, make it visually clear what direction the bladespinners will go. A simple way to do this is to just change the design into something with a clear frontside and backside.

Some other small suggestions:

- The key you can get in each dungon, make it visual, have it lie in the room where you get it. (instead of it being something you only discover you got after you die)

- Perhaps make the hero stop for a certain time when picking up a blue coin, like you do with the gold coin, though not necessary as long. It's to hectick some times, and the way it is now, as soon as the hero reaches the coin, he'll immediatley start his new path, sometimes straight in a pit, just giving the player this extra moment to react could be very helpfull. (and less frustrating)

I also think it would be best if you add screenshots of some other dungeons on your store page. I understand you want the player to discover them, but I think the game would look a lot more appealing to potential players when they see some of the different dungeon designs. (it doesn't need to be much, just like one screenshot of the 2nd and of the 3th or 4th)

Anyway, best of luck to you, and keep up the great work!

By the way, you can edit your posts, so you can add the screenshots in your first post if you want.

theANMATOR2b and CatsEleven like this.
  6. CatsEleven

CatsEleven

Thanks so much for taking to time to give me all of this feedback Steven, I really appreciate it. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it so much and I think you are 100% correct with your criticism of the Forgotten Workshop. I've got some spare time this week so I'm going to try put out an update and I think adding visual feedback for those bladespinners will be my first priority.

Your idea about giving the key to the player during the game is genius, it would be so cool to have the adventurer enter a room after reaching the 5th floor and opening a chest! Maybe I could have a similar event for beating a high score too, the adventurer gets a crown out of a treasure chest and then the game continues from there.

I hope you'll keep me posted with any other gripes you have with the game, it's very helpful!

7. Steven-1

Steven-1

Alright, I'm looking forward to the update!

8. CatsEleven

CatsEleven

I've released a new update with some improvements to the Forgotten Workshop. Visual feedback was added to show the direction that the spinning blades will travel and two rooms were replaced with some new ones that make better use of the mechanics. Hopefully this will make the dungeon much less frustrating as the player won't need to rely on memory to clear rooms.

I'm still playing around with adding a delay when the hero reaches blue coins to try and give the player some more time to plan their moves.

theANMATOR2b likes this.