Search Unity

Android Builder Tool

Discussion in 'Android' started by zalogic, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Ferazel

Ferazel

Both of you need to realize that this is a community tool. There isn't any reason for anyone to provide you with any such support, other than just the kindness of our hearts. You can either spend the time to understand and troubleshoot the tool yourself or not use the tool and complain to Unity about them not supporting a much needed export option (which you should do anyways).

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  2. bitomule

bitomule

Of course I understand this is a community tool and I really appreciate people help. I've offered to pay as I understand that this things takes lots of time, personal time.

Thanks for your help!

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I think its fair to say unity should add this sort of automation to droid for export, that would certainly justify another reason to "go pro". I'd personally be willing to pay for something that just did it all (and works fine with Resources folder).

4. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

Hello all,

I'm trying to get this installer working, but I have a question,

What are you using to host your file for download? What are you using as a server? I looked at the google docs and they state when you upload your app to google play, you will have an option to upload 2 additional files. But I just want to test this out first.

5. JamesMobot

JamesMobot

Hopefully im missing something really obvious so I thought I'd check if anyone else had a similar problem and found a fix!

Once the builder tool comes up it asks me to select a res path. Im not to sure what the right choice is here so, i tried a few things and get the same errors.

Step 1 and 2 seems to be fine then it crashes at:

Step 3: Generating and compiling R.java class...
    Generating R.java class...

(then a ton of invalid directory errors)

Error! Android Builder failed in Step 3: generateAndCompileRClass()

Boom done, freezes!

Anyone ran into this or can shed some light
    Thanks
    James

6. zalogic

zalogic

The "res" path required by the installer is the one that is specified in the instructions txt file: the path to the "res" folder from your Eclipse Installer project.
    Just select the "res" folder from the Eclipse Installer project and click "Choose".
    Other errors you might be getting after that could be caused a ton of other things misunderstood or just wrongly setup. Also, try building the sample project first because it's easier to detect issues and solve them. (if you have basic knowledge of Eclipse, java and Android SDK)

Another thing to be careful. If you're using a newer version of Unity than the one the Installer template project was made for (Unity > 3.5.0) please replace the "classes.jar" file in the eclipse project "libs" folder file with the one from the latest Unity "PlaybackEngines/Android" folder.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  7. JamesMobot

JamesMobot

This gives me a couple starting points for sure!
    Thanks

8. Maru07

Maru07

Hey guys,
    this looks like a pretty cool solution but a tutorial would be really epic. I would write a short one myself and post it here (I was actually extremeley shocked when I heared noone done this before o.o since its a "Comunity Tool" ) but I comfortable with the matter yet.
    However..
    I read that this is only for Mac (Mac only for Android lol) is that still up to date? Im just asking cuz I noticed theres a Mac folder as well as a normal folder^^

Again, thx for this tool and take care :)

9. VicenteConejeros

VicenteConejeros

Hi guys
    I'm finally able to use the tool but i'm having some issues.

The downloader works fine, it downloads the game and boot it, but the second time i run the game, it tries to boot the game but it doesn't work, it throws me out (still don't know if it is a crash or not). i think its something related to the game, but i'm just not sure and want to know if someone had the same issue

Btw, it works fine(at least when it works) with prime31 in app billing plugin and tapjoy plugin :), you only have to edit the manifest to make it work

Is there a repository for the project? or is just the zip file??

10. VicenteConejeros

VicenteConejeros

Nop!

It's something with the device rotation(Samsung Galaxy S2). The launcher tries to switch to landscape and fails. If i boot the app already rotated it works flawlessly

any idea?

11. Tseng

Tseng

Scrap that, I always said that this method is not using Android Standards and may or may not work on some decides or in future. Just upgrade to Unity 4.0, it has an APK spit option which is one single click and splits the game into APK and *.OBB file.

12. jvil

jvil

If you use OBB extension files, you're restricted to publish only on official Android market, so you're losing a lot of potential clients outside this market.

13. Tseng

Tseng

Bullshit. Other markets do not have APK file size limitations, for those you simply send a normal build without splitting as you do now. Or download the *.OBB files manually from Unity if the store really doesn't support it.

The limitation of Google Play is mainly historically and due to a bad design. The very early Android Market versions used to safe the APK file in the /cache partition which was exactly 50 MB on the Google phones (and on most others too, though some have less like 30 MB) and Google has to keep the system intact for backward compatibility with this devices.

14. jvil

jvil

That's not true. Other markets have 50 MB size limit too.

15. Tseng

Tseng

Amazon Store has 4GB. Dunno about Nook, but that's the only other bigger store next to Google Play. And even if it's just 50 MB, just split your game with Unity and download the *.OBB files in the appropriate folders, i.e. /<yoursdcardfolder>/Android/obb/<yourgamespackagename>/

Unity will automatically recognize it there, because it looks at that folder. The main issue with it before Unity 4 was that there was no way to split it w/o using Asset Bundles (which is Unity Pro) and Asset bundles are not compatible with iOS structure.

Now you have a single, 1 click solution for it. For iOS you simply make a bug file, for Amazon you make a big APK file too. for Google Play and other stores, you split it (with a single click) and download the OBB files manually.

You must implement the manual OBB download anyways, because the OBB download from Google Play can fail and your App must be able to download the OBB files manually on first start. By slightly modifying this code you can download the OBB files from any other source, i.e. your webserver.

16. VicenteConejeros

VicenteConejeros

well, i finally fix the issue. was just a problem with the manifest file.

i can't update to unity 4 because the development of the game is on its final stage and i don't need more risk in the development process. obviously i'll switch after publishing the game ;)

17. Muckel

Muckel

Hey Tseng,
    thankxx for explaining !!!
    Well i also was Splitting my APP in APK OBB file.... but than on some Devices my Background Video doesn't show up.
    If i do not Split all is working fine...
    Now i upload my APP @ Amazon and share it on the Company Webside...
    Google Play i will ignore until the Limit is gone or all works as expected with Split App. Binary in U4....
    Well i also heard from Dev's that you need the Google Downloader Plugin from the Asset Store... all is too complicated to get it run well on all Devices... Damn that i promised to my Customers Android No Problem !.... 50 MB come on what a fxxk....
    My final APP Size is on iOS 1.3 GB on Android too... iOS works now 2 Years without any Problem... but Android sucks.... so many Different Devices with different OS..... uhhhh
    From Dev Point: I prefer iOS !

thanks

18. Muckel

Muckel

@ Tseng
    Amazon Store has 1 GB Limit :-(
    try'ed this night and got a email:
    So is there a other one with more than 1 GB ????? puhhh to deploy on Android sucks more more

19. Tseng

Tseng

https://developer.amazon.com/help/faq.html

20. Mayakovskyi

Mayakovskyi

Hello everyone,

First, thank you very much Floky for sharing this tool!

I managed to split a unity build but i want to clarify something: this tool is not designed in order to host your GameData.apk on Google Play right ? Only the Installer.apk is hosted and you need to set a path that point out to your personnal server, inside the Eclipse project. Am I right ?

Is there a way to host them both on Google Play (maybe we can enter an URL given by Google or something?).

Thanks in advance !

PS: I will post the way i get it to work, and please excuse my bad English

PPS: Any chance to use your tool only to split the APK and not to handle the expansion file's download ? I could use OBB downloader from the asset store for this and then my app will be fully hosted on Google Play :)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  21. Mayakovskyi

Mayakovskyi

As promised here is how to use Floky's Android Builder Tool:

1) Install Eclipse (classic edition for example), the Android SDK and the ADT Plugin for Eclipse

2) Download Android Builder Tool

3) Copy the content of "AndroidBuilderTool/InstallerAndroidBuild/Builds/UnityBuilder" to "<yourUnityProject>/Assets/Editor"

4) In Eclipse, right click and chose Import, Android Project, from existing source code. Then browse to "EclipseInstallerTemplateProject" from the Android Builder Tool folder (do not take care of the Mac OS X folder), and then check "copy to Workspace"

If you get an error like "Unable to resolve target 'android-X'" after the Import process, this is because the right SDK platform is not installed on your computer. To solve this, launch the Android SDK, and chose to install the right one (for example, if you get "Unable to resolve target 'android-15', you need to install the SDK platform marked as API 15 in the Android SDK.

5) You need to copy a file, "classes.jar", corresponding to your unity version.

It is located to:
    - Windows: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngine\AndroidBuilder\bin
    - Mac: Go to Applications/Unity and right-click on Unity (executable) and chose "Display package content", then go to Content/PlaybackEngine/AndroidBuilder/bin

So, copy "Classes.jar" to your eclipse project in "<whereverYourEclipseWorkspaceIs>/<yourProject>/libs"

6) Right click on your project (in Eclipse) and chose "Build Path" -> "Configure Build Path". Then go to the "Libraries tab" and Remove whatever "classes.jar" there are in the list. Then, click "Add JARs" and browse to your fresh copied "classes.jar" (<yourProject>/libs)

7) Follow the instructions inside InstallerActivity.java class inside your Eclipse project (set download location and APK name; for example, if you build "example.APK" you need to set "example_gameData.apk")

8) Modify the Manifest.xml file package name. It needs to match the bundle name you enter in "player settings" in Unity.

You may need to correct an error after this step, because you change the package name. Just rename the Import line to point to your new package (example: if your bundle name is com.example.test, the line must be: Import com.example.test.R;)

9) Right click on your "src" folder, in Eclipse, and chose "Export -> Java -> JAR". Save it to <your Unity project folder>/Assets/Plugins/Android.

You also need to copy your Manifest.xml file to that same folder.

10) Go to Unity, and launch an Android Build. It may asks for your Android SDK root folder, your "res" folder (Workspace/<eclipseProject>).

After a while, a new window will pop up and click "Start Build". Check the lines that appears and wait for "You can now close this aberration" :)D) that just state your APK has been successfully splitted !

You will find your Unity APK, and your two splitted APK (Installer + GameData) at the location you set in Unity.

After that, force quit the new window, and the process will end.

Hope I forgot nothing and that I'm doing it the right way :)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  22. zalogic

zalogic

Congratulations! You have successfully followed the steps described in the readme.txt files inside the AndroidBuilderTool zip package! :)
    Yes. That's the correct way to use it and it's actually not hard. ;)

I'm afraid I'm not allowed to continue development on this tool publicly anymore. :( (because of various new company policies)
    But yes, having this source code, this entire research project, you can do a lot of things from here like integrate the GooglePlay OBB download and
    host your gameData.apk files on GooglePlay. (at the moment you have to host your gameData.apk on a personal server, yes)
    It's just a matter of following the code and the comments and helping each other in this great community to overcome stupid things like uploading a big game easy and fast on GooglePlay.

Thanks for taking the time to post your personal tutorial. I'm afraid others haven't been so eager to help on the forum.
    I'm still hoping for a greater community out there that share and help each other out even more.

I have these steps described int readme.txt files of the AndroidBuilderTool package but it seems not many found them or understood them. :(

P.S. Don't forget to mention that basically after the above setup you don't have to repeat the steps to do another build. You just build with Unity as you normally do.

P.S. S. After step 10) you did forget something: to party after a one-click solution of building a big game for Android without modifying your game code to use AssetBundles. :D

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  23. Mayakovskyi

Mayakovskyi

Some people doesn't like when informations aren't centralized :)

Thanks again, now I will try to separate the "download manager" part from the "APK splitter" if I find how you designed your tool :p

24. smuttlegiaco

smuttlegiaco

first of all, thank you guys for all the effort!

we're following this thread for a few month now, but we still didn't manage to split our APK, after we add all the third-party SDK's we need. it works with the pure sample project, so we seem to setup everything correctly. see the error we get below (and yes, we did read the ReadMe :))

a tipp, hint, whatever, would be really appreciated if one of you encountered something similar!

25. zalogic

zalogic

Some people don't even make free open-source tools for other people.
    This is what a community is all about. Who managed to understand the instructions from the readme.txt files should take some of their spare time to write a better tutorial and centralize the documentation in one place or even upload the project to source management server (example:google code) and start extending the tool for everybody else.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  26. zalogic

zalogic

Usually this happens when one of the SDK plugins used in your game is not made Unity-Android-friendly to work with other plugins. (and there are many of them out there)
    There is no easy way around this just debugging in small steps and the following steps are generally a good practice not only for this tool but for many other tools:

1) First make sure that your project is working ok with the android build made with Unity without using this tool, but with all your other 3rd party Android plugins. If it doesn't work then stop here and investigate your plugins because this tool doesn't have anything to do with that. If it does work as expected, continue to next step.

2) Second thing to do is try adding those same exact SDK plugins with the basic initialization code required for them in the sample project that you previously configured to work with the AndroidBuilderTool without any other plugins.

3) If the same thing happens, start pulling out the plugins one by one and test to see which one or which ones are causing the issues.

4) Post the name of the plugins you are using on this forum and also mention which ones are causing the issues after the above step to see if anyone else had the same issues with those plugins. If you don't mention which plugins you're using, nobody can help you.
    The tool is not the cause of every failure. It's the overall architecture provided by Unity to work with Android plugins that sometimes makes multiple SDK plugins to bash their "heads" together when it comes to multiple plugins using their own R.java android class. (too much to explain here right now: http://ganeshtiwaridotcomdotnp.blogspot.ro/2011/12/android-understanding-rjava.html)

5) Post the entire tool console text output until the step with the error maybe there is something in there that could help debug the problem better.

Hope this helps a bit.

27. Byrondinho

Byrondinho

First of all thx for the job, was amazing!
    I have a problem, when i install the launcher and later download correctly data and play app, in desktop Android dont show icon of app ( show default icon android ) and the name of the app looks like "com.userCustom.installer" of install class.
    How i can fix it?

Thx!

28. damuddamc

damuddamc

Hi floky,

i am a teammate from smuttlegiaco..
    our application works with all plugins fine with the android build made with unity but not with your tool.
    the error is still the same as descripted by smuttlegiaco... the plugins we are using are no prime31 plugins or somthing else, we override the UnityPlayerActivty with our own for using sqllite and a localization solution written by me!
    I also integrated playphone directly in this Activity... all assets, resources and .jar files needed are placed in Unity Assets/Plugins/Android.... i also exported my custom Activity and two more classes from eclipse as a .jar file and placed this in Assets/Plugins/Android...
    And as i mansioned before, in the apk made by unity all works fine!
    My question, is it possible anyway to integrate a custom Activity with your tool?

thanks

29. thomam

thomam

Thanks for all the hard work, floky! I adapted the ABT to windows and am using it to successfully split a simple Unity android project.

However, I'm running into a problem with the actual .apk I need to split in which we use a number of 3rd party APIs (both google and amazon IAP and others). dx.bat is hanging while processing aws-android-sdk-1.4.0-core.jar, and it always hangs on com.amazonaws.javax.xml.stream.StaxErrorReporter$1.class.

This may have nothing to do with Unity or ABT, so I posted a stackoverflow question here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12849197/dx-bat-hangs-while-processing-class-files

The reason I'm also posting here though is because Unity CAN build the classes.dex file when it builds the .apk (and all the .jar files are included in that), so it must be doing something differently than ABT. Maybe someone who knows more about Unity's or android's pipeline can give some advice! =)

Thank you!
    -Tom

30. thomam

thomam

UPDATE: When I copy the same dx.bat command that the splitter tool is running to the windows command line, then dx.bat completes successfully. So it has something to do with running it from java with ProcessBuilder.

UPDATE 2: I fixed the problem with the java code. The issue with ProcessBuilder is explained here:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3643939/java-process-with-input-output-stream

Below is the revised code for BuilderUtils.execCmd

Code (csharp):
    1. ProcessBuilder procBuilder = new ProcessBuilder(command);
    2. procBuilder.redirectErrorStream(true);
    3. activeProc = procBuilder.start();
    5. stdInput = new BufferedReader(new InputStreamReader(activeProc.getInputStream()));
    6. if(waitToFinish) {
    7.     String stdi = "";
    8.     // read and display the output from the command
    9.     while((stdi = stdInput.readLine()) != null) {
    10.         System.out.println(stdi);
    11.     }
    13.     activeProc.waitFor();
    14. }

-Tom

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  31. rbisso

rbisso

Hi, thomam! Awesome to hear that you have adapted what sounds like a great tool to work with Windows. Any chance you could post your adaptations, or a how-to for those of us wishing to use the tool on Windows? It would be greatly appreciated!

32. mrde

mrde

Hi
    Great work, thanks

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/112703-Override-Unity-Data-folder-path
    Here you also have ploblems, with these files
    Please write how solve this problem
    Thanks

33. KevinJohnson25

KevinJohnson25

Hi everyone,

First, big thanks to Floky for making this tool available. It certainly makes things a lot less painful then starting totally from scratch :) However I've run into an issue: I've got everything working and I end up with the installer apk and the data apk but I can't get the installer apk to actually install on my device. I always get a message that the app didn't install. Has anyone else had this happen? Any idea what might be causing this?

Thanks!

34. KevinJohnson25

KevinJohnson25

Is no one using this tool anymore? I've got an 80MB game and after using the tool I get a 286 KB installer apk and a 79.5MB data apk. That doesn't seem like it should be right (again, the installer apk doesn't install). I've followed all the instructions in the readme and in this thread and this is as far as I can get. Has anyone had success with this tool with Unity 3.5.6? I get some warnings from the tool while it runs -

trouble processing:
    bad class file magic (cafebabe) or version (0033.0000)
    ...while parsing com/SiliconBeach/PluginTest/R$attr.class
    ...while processing com/SiliconBeach/PluginTest/R$attr.class

trouble processing:
    ...while parsing com/SiliconBeach/PluginTest/R$drawable.class
    ...while processing com/SiliconBeach/PluginTest/R$drawable.class

trouble processing:
    ...while parsing com/SiliconBeach/PluginTest/R$id.class
    ...while processing com/SiliconBeach/PluginTest/R$id.class

trouble processing:
    ...while parsing com/SiliconBeach/PluginTest/R$layout.class
    ...while processing com/SiliconBeach/PluginTest/R$layout.class

trouble processing:
    ...while parsing com/SiliconBeach/PluginTest/R$string.class
    ...while processing com/SiliconBeach/PluginTest/R$string.class

trouble processing:
    ...while parsing com/SiliconBeach/PluginTest/R.class
    ...while processing com/SiliconBeach/PluginTest/R.class
    6 warnings

I'm guessing this has something to do with my issues but I'm not sure how to tackle it. Has anyone else had these warnings?

Thanks!

35. zalogic

zalogic

The Installer apk can be as small as 100Kb if you don't have any gfx assets inside the Installer Eclipse project.
    Yes I can confirm the tool is working ok with Unity 3.5.6. Just make sure to upgrade the classes.jar Unity lib in the Android Installer eclipse project like mentioned in this forum and you're good to go.
    Your issue is not from the tool but seems to be caused by something similar to this:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...agic-cafebabe-or-version-0033-0000-with-adk14

Hope this helps.

36. KevinJohnson25

KevinJohnson25

Thanks floky! I think I may have figured out what the issue was but the builder tool doesn't seem to work on Mountain Lion. I recently upgraded to get rid of a bug where the keyboard would sometimes become unresponsive when plugging in an Android device but now when I try to build the builder tool seems to just crash immediately. I'm on a Retina Macbook Pro so I'm not sure how I'd roll back to Lion if I needed to (other than full system restore in Time Machine). Can anyone confirm that the tool runs in Mountain Lion?

Thanks!

37. Ferazel

Ferazel

I can confirm that the APK splitter/repackager from Floky works fine in Mountain Lion. I did my release about a week ago on it. I was using a custom installer script that used the OBB files from GooglePlay though, so I don't know if that works, but the basic splitter should work fine.

I just released my first release with the Unity4 SplitAPK process and with our tests it appears to function pretty well. I don't think I'm going to look back, as much as Floky saved me during the development of my game I'm very happy that Unity decided to integrate a solution.

38. zalogic

zalogic

I'm really happy that some people managed to use my solution with success in the time of need. But most of all I'm really happy that the Unity team finally got inspired to integrate a solution for this in the engine.
    Go go Unity team!

39. bcelmo

bcelmo

We have been using your tool for a while now, multumesc floky.
    As we bought Unity 4 we now wanted to try to split our app with the built in process, in publishing settings. It seems to create everything fine, it seems to sign everything fine, however if we try to update on google play it gives the error: "The apk must be signed with the same certificates as the previous version.". I am 100% sure i am using the same keystore and also checked with jarsigner if data matches between an older build and current build and they are identical. Anybody have an idea what we are doing wrong ?

40. zalogic

zalogic

You are most welcome. :) Cu placere. ;)
    I currently don't know what exactly is causing your issue but here's a link that may help:
    http://labs.exoa.fr/tutorial-unity-4-apk-splitting-google-play-obb/

41. Superflat

Superflat

Hello,

I'm trying to use your tool on a Mac. We can't afford to splurge money on unity iphone 4 yet.

What i did was copy the eclipse project and gave the manifest the same name as my bundle id: uk.co.mediainsight.tkd3d
    got some errors about R but i exported the src directory as a jar to Plugins/Android. Your editor files are in the right place so that when i do a build i'l have a post process thing pop up. But it appears to be not doing anything. It asks for a res directory so i point it to the res directory in the template that i copied elsewhere.

Now i've left it on for a while but it doesn't appear to be doing anything. Did i miss a step or fill in the wrong ID?

42. vim

vim

Hello

Do you remember what you did to solve the bad class file magic (cafebabe) or version (0033.0000) problem :). I have the same problem right now :|.

43. josafa

josafa

Ferazel,

Can you share your custom script using OBB files? I can't upgrade to Unity4 yet, but I'm facing bandwith problems on host game data file on my own server. So it'd be great if you can do that.

44. Rithy-Jim

Rithy-Jim

Anyone have video tutorial to do this? I can not get it work.. :(

45. smartkiran

smartkiran

These steps only work on MAC. they do not work on windows, do they ??

I did everything you said on windows and I do not getting any window popping up after I build.

46. smartkiran

smartkiran

Hi Thomam,
    could you please tell me how you adapted it for windows, or could you share your tool with me ?
    I do not have a mac unity license for android and I need this tool to release my game.

Thank you.

47. smartkiran

smartkiran

Hi rbisso,

Did you ever get it to work on windows ?? I am struck with the same problem now. Could you please tell me how you solved this.
    Did you use any other way ?

Thank you.

48. smartkiran

smartkiran

Hi guys,

if anyone else is still looking for a way to get a solution for unity 3.x on windows to split the apk. you can follow my tutorial here

49. mattbenic

mattbenic

Hi all,
    First off thanks for all the work Floky and for the step-by-step instructions Mayakovskyi you guys are awesome :)

Besides being able to use Google's license libs and obb, I needed to use this as a standalone tool (our projects are pretty huge, so having to wait through a full Unity build before doing/testing each split wasn't practical). For this reason I modified Floky's splitter to be a commandline tool, and combined it with Google's obb sample. I've put this modified version up on github. If anyone still using Unity 3.5.x is looking for a soution to work with Google Play, hopefully this will help you :)

https://github.com/mattbenic/Unity35AndroidSplitter

There is one change I need to make to have it work on windows (calling dx.bat instead of dx based on platform). I'll hopefully get to that soon, but in the interim, any windows users can make that change in BuildersUtils.java themselves and re-export the AndroidSplitter jar.

50. Lad-Ty

Lad-Ty

Hi, just a quick question before I try to to implement this in any way... Is it possible to use this solution with Unity 3.5 Indie + Unity Android (not pro)? As I figured, I can't use Asset Bundles which would allow me to create .obb files or sth. like that, so I'm not sure if it's even possible to divide 200mb app to smaller pieces with Indie version of unity. Is it? Please? :( I am working on Windows btw, not sure if I will be able to do anything under (virtual) OS X other than simple build from unity :-X

Last edited: May 7, 2013