Search Unity

Android build with IL2CPP fails on OSX Catalina

Discussion in 'Android' started by JuliusM, Oct 22, 2019.

1. JuliusM

JuliusM

Unity Technologies

This is a known issue which affects all Unity versions.

The issue: Building Android project with the IL2CPP backend fails after the OSX Catalina update.

The reason: OSX Catalina does not want to run unsigned binary files as they are considered unsafe. Unity uses NDK versions up to r19 and all of them are not signed. This causes Android builds to fail.

The workaround: This issue is only reproducible on the OSX Catalina, so not upgrading to this OSX version or using Windows is a possible workaround. Alternatively if you have already upgraded to Catalina, each NDK tool necessary for Android building can be allowed to run in the OSX security and privacy settings. See this post or this thread on how to do that. Just note that there are multiple tools invoked while building Android and all of them must be allowed to run, so you will have to start build process multiple times for this.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  2. any_user

any_user

When can we expect this to be fixed?

3. ScottF

ScottF

Vice President, Platforms Unity Technologies

Only Google can sign their own binaries. At this time we do not have an ETA if/when they will sign older NDKs. Starting with later NDK's we have confirmation they will be signed going forward.

any_user likes this.
  4. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

If you are willing to use your mac without gatekeeper until that's fixed, there is an easier workaround.

The workaround makes it possible to download and use apps downloaded from anywhere on macOS Catalina without a check. Restores old allow apps downloaded from anywhere setting.

https://www.imore.com/how-open-apps-anywhere-macos-catalina-and-mojave

I'm currently using this with 2019.2.10f1 and building to Android without any issues on that part...

5. Whiteleg

Whiteleg

I'm waiting too and I'd like to find out

6. SweatyChair

SweatyChair

Using 2018.4 and this constantly happened, everything I need to re-download ndk-r16b so make it work...

unityunity