Search Unity

Question Android build stutters when loading, requires multiple exits to start properly

Discussion in 'Android' started by tomc128, Aug 29, 2020.

1. tomc128

tomc128

Hi, I'm having an issue with my game when building for Android.

When launching the app, the Unity splash screen sometimes shows up, but sometimes does not. After this, the screen remains black. To continue into the game, I have to go to the home screen and re-open the app several times. (note, the app is not closed from the app switcher.) Only then will the game load properly.

This happens both with Mono builds directly onto my phone, and IL2CPP app bundle builds from the Play Store.

I'm currently using Unity 2020.1.3f1, but this issue occurred in 2020.1.1f1 and some earlier versions too. I'm using the Universal Render Pipeline v8.2.0

I was using an external library for networking, and for testing purposes removed all code referencing it and its (roughly) 20 dependencies. This did not really help, and launching still has this issue.

I've recorded a video showcasing the issue. I use an app which displays my battery in a circle around my punch-hole camera cutout, and this is important as in the recorded video, the rotating animation is smooth. In real life, however, it stutters - only updating its position every few seconds or so, which seems strange that this does not happen in the recording. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S10 on the latest August security update of Android 10, this issue also happened on previous security updates.

(this version of the app is the IL2CPP build distributed with Google Play)

I've also setup an Android 11 emulator and installed a apk built with mono, and this issue also persists.

I have a handful of other games I have created with Unity, and none of them suffer from this issue.

Here are my player settings / other settings:
    https://imgur.com/a/ZIlSLVx

I'm also using a custom Android Manifest which was supposed to help fix a crash which occurred due to something to do with Google Play backups and IL2CPP.

I'd really appreciate any help. I simply am unable to update my game with this issue.

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020