Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Android Build -> Multiple Dex Files Error -> Multiple dex files define Lcom/google/unity/BuildConfig

Discussion in 'Android' started by Deleted User, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi!

I'm struggling to create a Unity build for Android (I'm new to Android as a platform). I get this error:

```
    Execution failed for task ':transformClassesWithDexForDebug'.
    > com.android.build.api.transform.TransformException: com.android.ide.common.process.ProcessException: java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: com.android.dex.DexException: Multiple dex files define Lcom/google/unity/BuildConfig;
    ```

I cannot find the source of this problem and I've read through a multitude of stack overflow threads. How do I cut through the noise to find these DEX files and how do I find this com/google/unity/BuildConfig? I can't seem to find information on what com/google/unity/BuildConfig actually is either. Is it a package in the same way that com.example.package is?

Is there any text that I need to read or concepts I need to understand in order to diagnose this properly?

Cheers!

2. JustasKavaliauskas

JustasKavaliauskas

Hey,
    I'm hoping this is Unity bug and will be resolved at some point, because I started getting this error after I updated my project to 2018.2.1f1 Unity version.
    To fix it you can try enabling Multidex, but after I did that, I got stuck on another issue, so I didn't bother anymore and returned to 2018.1.x - which works fine for me.
    Also you could just change Build System from Gradle to Internal (in File->Build Settings -> Build System), which worked for me too, but I wanted to stay with Gradle to have more control, so It made more sense to get back to 2018.1.

divingcrash likes this.
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hey sRn!

I just fixed the error this morning! Within Android studio at the Project level there's two folders, 'MyGameFolder' and 'External Libraries'. Within MyGameFolder there was a GoogleMobileAdsPlugin folder (which I'm surprised isn't an external library but hey ho). Within the GoogleMobileAdsPlugin folder, there are two folders -> build & libs.

The error read as follows: "Multiple dex files define Lcom/google/unity/BuildConfig;"

Inside of the build and libs folder, there were definitions of the buildConfig class. This DEX transform process creates android specific DEX class files from java classes, which are then packaged together with other resources to build an APK file.

So since the error reads 'multiple dex files define com/google/unity/buildConfig' we can see that happening below in these two folders.

GoogleMobileAdsPlugin > Build > Generated > Source > BuildConfig > Release
    upload_2018-7-31_7-52-50.png

GoogleMobileAdsPlugin > libs
    upload_2018-7-31_7-54-24.png

Notice how they both form the same package name: com.google.unity.ads.BuildConfig

It appears as though when you do a build it tries to package the library folder and the release folder into a single APK, though I could be wrong as I'm not very knowledgable about android as a platform at all, I'm a total newbie at this point. But removing the libs folder solved the error presumably because you remove the two class definitions so that they no longer clash.

I also guess if there is already a definition in build, then you don't need lib. I'd love to read some other people's thoughts on this as I have no idea if I've just made a really bad decision
    ⚆ _ ⚆

So my advice to you is to look at the error, see what package it falls under and to go and look for that pattern within your folders and see if you can find a duplicate class definition being formed and remove the unneeded one.

Really hurt my head trying to solve this one so I'm writing as much here as I can in the hopes it helps someone else as well as myself.

Cheers!

Attached Files:

Starbox, Abrssh and neonblitzer like this.
  4. JustasKavaliauskas

JustasKavaliauskas

Thanks for sharing and digging deeper!
    But I didn't bother exporting gradle project, since it should work without doing so, however I do understand the problem, but what I don't understand is why this started happening with latest Unity version (unless you are not using 2018.2.1f1?? :eek:), because I don't want to keep fixing same errors with any other plugins while Unity is doing something weird :(.
    Anyways, I will keep an eye on this topic, but at the moment I'm good with 2018.1.6f1, also maybe you could try different unity version to see if this error persist?

5. Astirian

Astirian

I'm so sick of wasting my life on this S***.

6. KingKong320

KingKong320

same here

7. Ponytech

Ponytech

May I say +1?

8. Zynigma

Zynigma

Only if they'll accept my +1...

9. oriontvv

oriontvv

I can't switch to internal build system, because there isn't such config option. I'm using gitlab-ci builds with dockerized unity. Any other suggestions?

10. ponos_sanchez

ponos_sanchez

Any help for fix this?

11. KingKong320

KingKong320

remove all the plugins,And then reimport all of them one by one and don't let duplicate jar. or aar. files of same name,this is wht worked for me.

12. AAAAAAAAAE

AAAAAAAAAE

This worked for me
    credit to: https://www.spikything.com/blog/ind...ror-with-unityads-after-upgrading-to-unity-5/

• Close Unity Editor
    • Backup your project
    • Remove any folder or meta file called UnityAds from your project’s Assets/Libs folder
    • Remove any folder or meta file called UnityAds from your project’s Assets/Plugins/Android folder
    • Start Unity
    • Build your project for Android
    If this doesn’t work, try doing an Assets > Reimport All, then building again. Hopefully, future version of Unity will solve this problem automatically. Good luck out there!

13. oriontvv

oriontvv

@anileapen05, Man, you're awesome! It's works great for me after reimporting assets - unity has updated some meta file. You just saved me. Thanks!

shekhsagorahamed and AAAAAAAAAE like this.
  14. AAAAAAAAAE

AAAAAAAAAE

Thanks man.

15. theronv123

theronv123

@anileapen05 Thanks man! Your steps solved my problem as well. Much appreciated!

AAAAAAAAAE likes this.
  16. ddsventure

ddsventure

I had the same issue and I think it was because I imported the Unity Monetization plugin from the asset store and also selected "Enable built-in Ads Extension" I fixed it by de-selecting "Enable built-in Ads Extension"

17. innovativeapps14

innovativeapps14

I got the similar error after adding unity ads 3.0 . Any one know fix for this error?

18. DarkKapo

DarkKapo

Heroe

AAAAAAAAAE likes this.
  19. Ogeid

Ogeid

I did it too. I was hoping to use Admob + videos and banner from UnityAds. Everything was working perfectly, both the Admob plugin and UnityAds (videos). But after I imported this 3.0 package to use banner, I got this error.

20. moscas99

moscas99

Solved!!!

I just updated the Unity version today (January 29 2019), then build and it worked, I just got an error about Facebook but I was getting this error before the update to Unity and now it's there but the APK was built.

PS: The Unity version that I installed today was 2018.3.3f1.

21. moscas99

moscas99

It is solved now, just update to the new version of Unity, being this version (the one that worked for me today) the 2018.3.3f1, just got an error about facebook but it is still building.

22. Mobazy

Mobazy

This worked for me too.. Services -> Ads -> Advanced -> Uncheck: Enable build-in Ads extension.

23. toastertub

toastertub

LIFE SAVER!

AAAAAAAAAE likes this.
  24. tagincorp2016

tagincorp2016

Do not forget to remove remaining unityads aar or other files while using built-in version.

25. phapnq

phapnq

The error occurred after installing the FacebookAuDienceNetwork package. Hope everybody help please.
    upload_2019-11-7_16-55-50.png

26. swats1010

swats1010

I tried above steps and tried to find the build config with this :
    find . -name '*.*' -exec grep -Hls BuildConfig {} \;

If I remove temp folder then only result is this entry :
    ./Assets/Plugins/Android/GoogleMobileAdsPlugin/libs/unity-plugin-library.jar

But after build when i check then the BuildConfig file is in all these folders

./obj/Debug/Assembly-CSharp-Editor.dll.mdb

./obj/Debug/Assembly-CSharp-Editor.dll

./Ludo Online Chupamobile.Editor.csproj

./Temp/StagingArea/android-libraries/GoogleMobileAdsPlugin/libs/unity-plugin-library.jar

./Temp/gradleOut/.gradle/4.0.1/taskHistory/fileSnapshots.bin

./Temp/gradleOut/.gradle/4.0.1/taskHistory/taskHistory.bin

./Temp/gradleOut/build/generated/source/buildConfig/debug/com/delusion/ludofun/BuildConfig.java

./Temp/gradleOut/build/intermediates/classes/debug/com/delusion/ludofun/BuildConfig.class

./Temp/gradleOut/GoogleMobileAdsPlugin/libs/unity-plugin-library.jar

./Temp/gradleOut/GoogleMobileAdsPlugin/build/generated/source/buildConfig/release/com/google/unity/BuildConfig.java

./Temp/gradleOut/GoogleMobileAdsPlugin/build/intermediates/classes/release/com/google/unity/BuildConfig.class

./Temp/gradleOut/GoogleMobileAdsPlugin/build/intermediates/jniLibs/release/unity-plugin-library.jar

./Temp/gradleOut/GoogleMobileAdsPlugin/build/intermediates/bundles/default/classes.jar

./Temp/gradleOut/GoogleMobileAdsPlugin/build/intermediates/bundles/default/libs/unity-plugin-library.jar

./Library/LastBuild.buildreport

./Library/ScriptAssemblies/Assembly-CSharp-Editor.dll.mdb

./Library/ScriptAssemblies/Assembly-CSharp-Editor.dll

./Library/metadata/fc/fc20e706f6a354d9db2e099be3fa8efb.info

./.vs/Ludo Online/xs/sqlite3/storage.ide

./.vs/Ludo Online/xs/project-cache/Ludo Online.Editor-Debug.json

./Assembly-CSharp-Editor.csproj

./Ludo Online.Editor.csproj

./Assets/Plugins/Android/GoogleMobileAdsPlugin/libs/unity-plugin-library.jar

./Assets/Chartboost/Editor/XCodeEditor/XCBuildConfiguration.cs

./Assets/Chartboost/Editor/XCodeEditor/XCodeEditorMenu.cs

./Assets/Chartboost/Editor/XCodeEditor/XCConfigurationList.cs

./Assets/Chartboost/Editor/XCodeEditor/XCProject.cs

And i am unable to resolve it at all

27. ddadkhah

ddadkhah

@anileapen05
    I have a question. How did you find this solution?

28. reiserleo

reiserleo

Man you have saved my life, reimport all solve the problem for me, I was lost a full week in this, thank you

AAAAAAAAAE likes this.