Search Unity

Question Android build fails with "UnityException: JDK not found"

Discussion in 'Android' started by Krasshirsch, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Krasshirsch

Krasshirsch

Setup
    Unity 2019.3.0b12 (Pro License)
    Ubuntu 18.04 (Bionic Beaver)

OpenJDK
    openjdk version "1.8.0_222"
    OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_222-8u222-b10-1ubuntu1~18.04.1-b10)
    OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.222-b10, mixed mode)

Hello,

we are currently setting up our Jenkins server to build Android packages with Unity.
    We had to install the OpenJDK, Android SDK and Android NDK package manually because those provided by Unity are not recognized as valid and thus do not work.

I am unsure whether this topic fits better into the "Android" or "Unity Beta Release" section, but since the the affected elements here involve the Android tool chain I decided to go with this section.

The error which is blocking the build is
    Unfortunately the default settings (recommended) in "Preferences / External Tools" do not work.
    This is what it looks like after a fresh install with the Android tool chain being installed.

rec.png

mod.png

The editor accepts the manual path in the editor but still throws the above mentioned exception when running a build. The path is routed to the global java installation since the link to the Unity provided OpenJDK under "Data/PlayackEngines/AndroidPlayer/OpenJDK" is refused by the Editor. The same is also valid for the NDK and the SDK.

man.png

The JDK is correctly added to the PATH and the JAVA_HOME variable is set as well.

java.png

While we haven't tried all version, this behavior is also present using Unity 2019.3.0b(8/9/10/11).
    I am unsure where to look next.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

Alexander

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    deus0 likes this.
  2. SelfishCoder

SelfishCoder

I have the same issue on Ubuntu 19.10 and Unity 2019.3.0b12 (Personal Licence).

3. Krasshirsch

Krasshirsch

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  4. SelfishCoder

SelfishCoder

5. Krasshirsch

Krasshirsch

6. Krasshirsch

Krasshirsch

@PsychoPhysicist Thanks for the link, it actually contains workarounds which worked in my case.
    It is, however, sad and obvious from the issue report that the android build tool installation for linux, which includes broken permissions, missing folders, invalid paths and ignored editor settings has never seen a single QA test.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    Fourdee4D and russisunni like this.
  7. MADiFold

MADiFold

Weird thing is, I have this issue, but only after installing Easy Mobile Pro into a project....

steve_lion likes this.
  8. SelfishCoder

SelfishCoder

@warpedsenses All of the issues have been resolved by Unity at UnityHub V2.3.0.

9. NoPants_

NoPants_

I have easy mobile as well, and even with UnityHub V2.3.0 I'm still getting the same error with Easy Mobile Pro..

10. Wichael

Wichael

I get this error constantly and have to go into external tools, untick use JDK from hub and then try and remove the url that's there. Then tick use JDK from hub again.

I have to do this multiple times a day...

sreenaths likes this.
  11. drjamiearron

drjamiearron

Regarding Easy Mobile, I can also confirm this is a problem for me.

12. Kay_dee007

Kay_dee007

this is what worked for me maybe it'll work for you guys . so in my case i messed up the path during the installation of both the HUB ant the unity versions themselves and at the time i only have version 2019.3.3f1 installed with the sdk, ndk, and jdk so before trying to update to newer versions like 2019.3.8f1 and 2019.3.10f1 i fixed the path issues but the jdk wont downlod into the newer versions even from the hub so i copied the jdk from the older verisons into the jdk folder of the newer versions and that fixed it for me

13. aspw1992

aspw1992

im getting tired with this engine many strange issue make me frustated

Kamil_Reich, FortisKyle and JasonDaze like this.
  14. tataygames

tataygames

Unity developers have no idea how hard for a simple person to install and make a simple build in unity, this new unity is very confusing, i download it maybe 8 times consume 6 hours, trial and error, it will not work if you dont google or youtube it. this devs making software they dont test if its working. I installed the module for hours expecting I can finaly f*** build in android. yet another bug again wth I consume 2 freakin days just to make this unity work!!!!!

In my mac unity 2019.4 crashes even at start shutting down my mac mini multiple times!
    Its like unity devs are selling for example a car when the drive press the start it wont work you need a mechanic first lol,
    pls improve Unity its way better before. normal student or professional will not understand this kind of things bugging just for the first install.

15. victormanuelfrancodev

victormanuelfrancodev

tataygames, how did you build your project? I have the same problem,.. :( did you change the jdk?

Cuicui_Studios likes this.
  16. errorsevendev

errorsevendev

this really is bullshit. I dont want all your stupid F***ing extra features. I just want to make 1 change to my analytics code and rebuild my app. Think I can do this? Tried 3 different versions of unity now for this 1 app and countless hours messing around with stuff.
    JDK not installed? JDK not found. F*** off it is. I installed it myself. Unity Hub also installed OpenJDK but still the editor just wont detect it.
    Guys just make a product that works. This is ridiculous

17. Simianosaurus

Simianosaurus

I was having this issue.
    Turns out my virus scanner (Avast) was silently blocking the install of OpenJDK.

If I look at the modules in the Hub, I can see that OpenJDK is ticked, but it does not say installed.
    This gives an indication that something failedI.
    I really wish the Hub would shout at the point it fails to install a module though rather than letting it silently fail and keeping the info hidden away, then people might be able to figure out it these issues earlier.

So my solution was:
    * Disabled the virus scanner
    * Open Unity Hub
    * Go to Installs
    * Click the 3 dots
    * Select Add Modules
    * Expand Android Build Support.
    * Untick and Retick OpenJDK
    * Hope it now installs (it did for me)

18. AAK_Lebanon

AAK_Lebanon

So my solution was:
    * Disabled the virus scanner
    * Open Unity Hub
    * Go to Installs
    * Click the 3 dots
    * Select Add Modules
    * Expand Android Build Support.
    * Untick and Retick OpenJDK
    * Hope it now installs (it did for me)[/QUOTE]

Actually, I can't Untick and Retick OpenJDK, do u have any alternative solution?

UPDATE: never mind, I have found the solution, just edit this file (make selected=false for the specified module) : C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2020.2.3f1/modules.json

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    Buzzrick_Runaway and DMRhodes like this.
  19. tataygames

tataygames

Hi, what I did is I uninstall everything, and install unity hub, then on unity hub, you can install the version of unity you like I select unity 2019.4.16 which is stable. the only bug is when you click the sprite on the sprite renderer in the inspector it does not locate you to the source image.

When you open unity hub, click the tab install, and you can install the version of unity you like.
    Pls see attached file.

And if your using mac, on unity hub on the projects tab. theres a 3 dot there click it then, click advance project settings.
    then in put this word: -force-metal

This link will show you how to build successfully on android.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/solved-2019-3-0a4-incompatible-ndk.688108/#post-7101892

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    laaaa likes this.
  20. ahmedaniss

ahmedaniss

Problem fixed here :

21. lorenzog45

lorenzog45

These steps worked for me! On macOS Big Sur

22. azizkale

azizkale

worth to try :

23. mohdfahad

mohdfahad

i just gave executable permissions for binary files whichever thrown error as permission denied, now it works

24. andremamp

andremamp

sudo chmod -R 777 Editor/
    It was a bit extreme, but it worked for me.
    It was the editor 2021.3.6f1 ubuntu 22.04

QmasterJJ likes this.
  25. QmasterJJ

QmasterJJ

This is IT!

This is what worked for me. I had noticed a few of the executables, such as during texture import that complained about permissions in Console errors and chmod'ed them individually, but didn't think that this perhaps was behind these errors. Makes total sense.

26. seanlynch880

seanlynch880

OKAY EVERYONE LET ME TELL YOU HOW TO FIX THIS. USE UNITY VERSION 2022.2.4f1. I have experimented with integrating ads with iron source and Unity Level Play with a whole bunch of different versions, even LTS versions. This was the version that finally worked for me!