Search Unity

Android build experiencing crashes with network changes

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by lucernagame, Jan 10, 2019.

1. lucernagame

lucernagame

In some versions of Unity, the Android APK that is built will have the VideoPlayer fail when streaming a video over a slow network. On fast networks, it will play the video and move on to the next without issue. Once the bandwidth shrinks below 1mb/s and/or latency increases about 300~ ms, the video will collect and play the first few frames, then stop playing frames. The sound will continue, however. When it reaches the end of the video, I've coded it to automatically play another, and it appears to switch over as the audio changes to the next video, but the frame remains frozen on the texture.

The versions where this happens are:

2019.1.0a12
    2018.3.0f2
    2018.2.20f1
    2018.2.16f1
    2017.3.1f1

I was thinking of using another version to deploy with, but in 2017.2.0f3 and earlier, it crashes instead.

Since I have quite a modified environment, I've unable to discern if the problem is endemic to Unity or a product of my modifications. I understand that a bad network connection causes the stuttering and lagging, but I would like to know if there's a way to make the frames continue to update when possible instead of freeze permanently. Or at least if anyone knows if the problem is part of a bug with Unity, then I can stop spending so much time looking into my code, for which there is quite a lot.