Search Unity

(Android build error) Can not sign application Unable to sign application; please provide passwords!

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Zephni, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Zephni

Zephni

I have Googled and Googled but maybe I am missing something simple here, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have created the keystore using Unity's built in publishing settings for Android. I 100% have the correct password. I have also clicked "browse" and make sure the correct keystore is selected and also chosen the correct Key Alias and input the password below it. (I have uploaded an image regarding this)

I have also got my JDK path and Android SDK path in my environment variables. I'll just show them below so you can check I haven't done something stupid:
    ANDROID_HOME = C:\Android\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20140321\sdk
    JAVA_HOME = C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_66

I have also installed the latest build-tools being: sdk/build-tools/23.0.2
    Plus I have installed "Android support repository", "Android support library", "Google play services", "Google repository" through the Android SDK Manager.

Then when I go to build I get the following error. I have Google this alot but can't seem to find it but maybe I'm just missing it!

Any help would be hot :) Full error below:

Code (CSharp):
    1. UnityException: Can not sign application
    2. Unable to sign application; please provide passwords!
    3. UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessAndroidPlayer.ShowErrDlgAndThrow (System.String title, System.String message, System.Exception ex)
    4. UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessAndroidPlayer.ShowErrDlgAndThrow (System.String title, System.String message)
    5. UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessAndroidPlayer.CheckPrerequisites ()
    6. UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessAndroidPlayer.PostProcessInternal (System.String stagingAreaData, System.String stagingArea, System.String playerPackage, System.String installPath, System.String companyName, System.String productName, BuildOptions options, UnityEditor.RuntimeClassRegistry usedClassRegistry)
    7. UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessAndroidPlayer.PostProcess (BuildTarget target, System.String stagingAreaData, System.String stagingArea, System.String playerPackage, System.String installPath, System.String companyName, System.String productName, BuildOptions options, UnityEditor.RuntimeClassRegistry usedClassRegistry)
    8. UnityEditor.Android.AndroidBuildPostprocessor.PostProcess (BuildPostProcessArgs args)
    9. UnityEditor.PostprocessBuildPlayer.Postprocess (BuildTarget target, System.String installPath, System.String companyName, System.String productName, Int32 width, Int32 height, System.String downloadWebplayerUrl, System.String manualDownloadWebplayerUrl, BuildOptions options, UnityEditor.RuntimeClassRegistry usedClassRegistry) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/PostprocessBuildPlayer.cs:316)
    10. UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  2. jtsmith1287

jtsmith1287

Have you successfully built to an android device before or is this your first time? The keystore might be corrupted. If you haven't already uploaded to Google play services you could just generate a new keystore for the project.

HASSANB97 likes this.
  3. Zephni

Zephni

Thanks for your reply! I have tried creating a new keystore a bunch of times, using different software to do so, and I have tried Unity's one a few times. Also yes I have exported to Android 100's of times before this. with the same project.

The problem may be related to this... I tried to include the package https://github.com/playgameservices/play-games-plugin-for-unity in my project, but it was riddled with errors, so I removed it. I wonder if that has caused some issues, or if deleting all the files has actually removed it entirely.

If not, it may be something else but still really confused :(

4. Zephni

Zephni

Update.. I use git for versioning, so I have gone back to two versions ago, where the keystore stuff hadn't even began. On exporting I still get an error:

Code (CSharp):
    1. CommandInvokationFailure: Failed to re-package resources. See the Console for details.
    2. C:\Android\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20140321\sdk\build-tools\23.0.2\aapt.exe package --auto-add-overlay -v -f -m -J gen -M AndroidManifest.xml -S "res" -I "C:/Android/adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20140321/sdk\platforms\android-23\android.jar" -F bin/resources.ap_ --extra-packages com.google.example.games.mainlibproj
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh.... *relax* * relax* it's ok.... :( Any idea's anybody?

5. Zephni

Zephni

Ah.. fixed! I found in a comment on another site that I should also delete the "Plugins" folder, I never knew that it was ever created. So basically I deleted the "Assets/Plugins" directory which had and "Android" and "IOS" directory inside it, and I no longer got the error!

6. john_old

john_old

Thank you for your share

7. hameed11

hameed11

Fixed!! Fixed!! Fixed!! Fixed!! Fixed!! Fixed!! Fixed!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    1- Delete (GoogleMobileAds , PlayServicesResolver and Plugins) and import it again.
    2- Create New Keystore .

8. Kiupe

Kiupe

Hi,

I have the same issue. When I first create a Keystore I can build, but next time I try to build I have this error. I don't have a Plugins/GoogleMobileAds/PlayServicesResolver folders - so I cannot delete them.

Any idea on how to fix this issue ?

Thanks

9. bizzcodestudios

bizzcodestudios

Solved.. solved no need to delete plugin folder.
    just change the Key alisas to Unsigned (debug).
    Under Player Settings-> Publishing settings -> key.

Attached Files:

10. thedarcsage

thedarcsage

Thanks!!

Funny thing is that this worked for me too. My keystore was selected and passwords were put in, but it still didn't work.

Then I switched it to Unsigned first. Then switched it back to my Alias, and the error went away.
    (The error occurred after updating to 2017.1 and reimporting a whole bunch of things.)

11. normidar

normidar

i have the problem same ,and
    how to make it isn't a problem ?
    i chose the other chose !

12. zecmo_teamproxi

zecmo_teamproxi

Thanks much! This fixed my issue for me : D

13. Nk_Khumbhani

Nk_Khumbhani

Fixedddddddd Thanks a lot..

mikesolanomo likes this.
  14. Krush41

Krush41

Mine keeps saying Unable to sign application; please provide passwords!
    Any ideas about why it's doing this or any ideas about how to fix it?

Tony-Sparrow likes this.
  15. Gptshubham595

Gptshubham595

simply in player setting-> Other settings -> add password

icednicco likes this.
  16. bhushanrocks412

bhushanrocks412

thanks

17. yoyo7

yoyo7

Thanks

18. GetLitGames

GetLitGames

Just go to your Player Settings -> Publishing Settings and enter the passwords in both fields for the keystore and the key..
    they aren't saved by Unity you have to enter them every time you reopen Unity...

Melanzue likes this.
  19. cihad_unity

cihad_unity

What a torture!!! Anyone find a solution to this?

20. simonsanches

simonsanches

21. giantkilleroverunity3d

giantkilleroverunity3d

You sir are an immense genius! Thank you.
    So this happens when switching from AAB(googleplay) to APK(android) build.

22. unity_btkiGPiGhCEfIA

unity_btkiGPiGhCEfIA

Got this problem first time in new Unity 2019.3.5. In Unity 2018.3.14 everything built successfully. All suggestions above I already tried with no luck. Any new solutions?

23. himzy

himzy

I found a solution that worked for me.
    Go to player settings -> Publishing -> uncheck "Custiom key".

URPian likes this.
  24. tonythedad

tonythedad

Wouldn't you need the custom key to work when it's time to publish your game?

25. barisalhan

barisalhan

[SOLVED] In the case you have alread a key and want to take a release build you need to enter the two passwords within the publish settings. Then, during build, Unity will automatically use these passwords and your authentication problem will be solved.

26. izhankhalib

izhankhalib

[SOLVED] In Project Setting > Publishing Setting > look for password fill, just fill it with the correct password.
    1) Project Keystore password
    2) Project Key password

Fill up these passwords and you are good to go.

27. nio2edward

nio2edward

the solution is to disable the keystore :) it worked for me

28. siddhant9763

siddhant9763

simply type your passwords in Player Setting -> Publishing setting. there are two passwords:
    1) password for open KeyStore,
    2) password for the project key
    these passwords are you set at the time of key creation. so add it to the publishing set before building the game. no need to delete plugins and all.

I think this solves your problem

ZiadMahmoudSayd and haroldo7 like this.
  29. pablomunheco2005

pablomunheco2005

Thank you so much dude. You just saved my ass

30. watsonroger11

watsonroger11

thanks so much you saved me

31. RulaPRO

RulaPRO

reconfiguring the keys in the store helped me

ZiadMahmoudSayd likes this.
  32. ZiadMahmoudSayd

ZiadMahmoudSayd

THANKS, you helped me a lot , I entered password twice and it succeeded to build

33. unity_5syeWgc8HGfUSA

unity_5syeWgc8HGfUSA

no need for that, just go to build settings>player settings>Publishing settings and type project keystore password and project key password. That in general happened because you probably tried publishing and made a key

mickeyband and amoderng like this.
  34. l190964

l190964

Well, during the build sometimes KeyStore pwd is removed, so in my case I re-enter the pwd and it worked so kindly check that too!

35. unity_C8C17961514FD8933DC5

unity_C8C17961514FD8933DC5

You save my day it works for me

36. vedanti_mungekar

vedanti_mungekar

sloved

37. VitasIII

VitasIII

Thanks, worked