Search Unity

Android Black Screen

Discussion in 'Android' started by Ogien, Nov 25, 2013.

1. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

From my experience do not listen to Unity, because with Android there are always graphics issues.
    I released a stable game one week ago, everything is perfect on iOS and tested on Android devices, already I have over 50 negative comments about game freeze on some devices or dont start up - think issue is graphics related... Unity not helping, so now I got buy one these problematic devices and test for myself get some kind of logs, then submit a fake repo, then wait for 3 months, by that time 4.6.9x lifeline is over..Not possible to upgrade to 5x as game took over 6 months. People need to live also..

mark71 likes this.
  2. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Where are the fixes for the 4.6x series of Unity?

3. dariuszpietrala

dariuszpietrala

I wouldn't complain if it was a problem with some old devices or some chinese weird stuff. But almost all of them are Samsung and quite new. And Samsung it's like 50% of the market (or maybe not 50%, but a lot ;) ).

MrEsquire likes this.
  4. bitter

bitter

Unity Technologies

@dariuszpietrala If you filed a bug report can I please have the case number?

5. bitter

bitter

Unity Technologies

Because 4.6 renders directly to the backbuffer AA can't be enabled for all Mali devices. 4.6 requires a backbuffer without alpha and some Mali devices lack the necessary EGL configuration.

This was generally fixed in Unity 5 by rendering to an offscreen surface.

6. dariuszpietrala

dariuszpietrala

Basically I can't report a bug. All I know is that there is a black screen, game doesn't work and I get 1* ratings and a lot of uninstalls (few thousands in 3-4 days). I got no reports in the Google console that would match this problem. All of my devices are working OK.

After switching from automatic to only 2.0 Samsung devices seem to be working fine, but I already have an info that it worked earlier, but after this update doesn't, on "Meizu mx4 pro".

It all worked fine before switching to 5.0.

mark71 and MrEsquire like this.
  7. bitter

bitter

Unity Technologies

I understand. If, however, you manage to find a way to reproduce the problem please let us know. We currently have no confirmed repro case for this issue afaik :-(

8. dustinbahr

dustinbahr

Disabling Anti-aliasing fixed the black screen issue for me on Galaxy Tab 4. Unity 4.6.9f1

9. keatsbill

keatsbill

I'm sympathetic about this situation. Maybe you can advice them to try adjusting brightness of devices. If this way fails, then there's only way to factory reset their phoes. Note don't forget to backup their phone data. Try Android Transfer from RecoveryAndroid, it's a good assistant on data backup for Android.

10. TeKGameR

TeKGameR

Hey, can you help me?? i have a big problem:

1. What happened
    Hi have a big problem with unity games on my "Samsung galaxy grand prime" and it appear for certain on my friend
    when i launch a unity application i have this screen (image attached with the bug report)

2. How we can reproduce it using the example you attached

Compile the attached project (just a camera and a script to show fps)
    for android
    i dont know if the bug will appear on other smartphones
    Please help me ;(

Attached Files:

11. theboosted_1

theboosted_1

Hey guys I'm on unity 5.4 and got a report from a galaxy j3 user of a black screen on load. Anyone have experience with this phone? Seems to be a budget model. I will compare my player settings to the suggestions here and post a shot.

12. Bessu

Bessu

Fixed by disabling anti-aliasing in quality settings. Unity 5.3.5.

13. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Running into this issue on 5.4.0 (latest current release).

It works fine on most devices (LG G4, Huawei Ascend Mate 2) but on a Samsung Tab S (Mali GPU), the game just goes black after the Unity Splash Screen. No sound.

I'll try to build a repro project and submit a bug.

14. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Did some more testing. Removing the texture compression in the build settings fixed the problem for Samsung Tab S. However, I'm running into the same issue on the same project for the Samsung Galaxy S5 an Samsung Galaxy S6. Changing the texture settings and all the other recommendations on this thread do not fix the issue.

The exact same project works fine on iPhone / iPad. Does anyone know if there's an active bug report for this issue?

MrEsquire likes this.
  15. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

I found the solution in my case. For some reason switching off the "Split Application Binary" in the build settings fixed it. I believe the issue is that on some devices, the installation / build & run process is not installing the OBB file correctly. On an S5, installing the game without "Split Application Binary" checked works as does installing a small project that doesn't use an OBB file. However, with an OBB, the game does not work and I get a black screen after the splash screen on the Galaxy S5.

16. ryan_qiyu

ryan_qiyu

:D so many errors XD but what worked for me:
    Use 32 Bit display buffer
    turn off multi-threaded rendering :(

had to do both and its working :)))))))))))