Search Unity

Android Black Screen

Discussion in 'Android' started by Ogien, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Seems I'm having the same issue. Recent spat of negative reviews talking about black screens and the game not working after I pushed an update with 4.6.0. I'm going to force ES2.0 and set 32bit display buffer as has been suggested with a 4.6.1p1 build and see if that fixes it. This is very disappointing ... I expected better quality control for a product I paid $1500 for.

2. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Maybe because end the year, quality gone down abit, but not sure if the same teams are working on both 4.6 and 5.0 beta, so maybe pressure on and mistakes being made. I'm happy that there has been swift effort to make releases as needed to fix the problems, just hope that no more issues crop up in future, very important for us who make one game for all mobile platforms.

3. GamenamiGames

GamenamiGames

From the 4.6.1 release note and p1 release note:
    Worked around GPU driver bugs that were causing crashes when using GLES 3.0
    Android: Fixed crash on certain Adreno HW with OS version 4.4.2 or more recent 4.4.x.
    Android: Fixed crash on XPeria Play.
    Android: Fixed a crash in glDrawElements() on some devices.

Pushing a build as well and hopefully less crash reports now.

4. PedramGC

PedramGC

I have tried a lot of different stuff in order to pinpoint the problem with the black screen. I have tested on HTC One (Adreno 220), Nvidia Shield Tablet (Tegra K1) and OnePlus One (Adreno 330). The OnePlusOne works with both OpenGL 2 and 3. There is no issue what so ever. On the Shield when running in OpenGL 2 mode it just renders a black screen but you can hear the audio and it takes input so the game is running but nothing is rendering, and there is no errors logging in adb logcat. The HTC one gives this error when running in OpenGL 2 mode

W/Adreno-ES20(20176): <core_glClear:37>: Error: Unknown: 0x506

and just like the Shield it is a black screen with interactions and audio.

All devices can run the game in OpenGL 3 mode but the HTC One gives this error

W/Adreno-ES20(19262): <core_glDrawBuffers:3302>: GL_INVALID_OPERATION

W/Adreno-ES20(19262): <core_glInvalidateFramebuffer:475>: GL_INVALID_ENUM

W/Adreno-ES20(19262): <core_glDrawBuffers:3302>: GL_INVALID_OPERATION

As buggtracking I have tried several things and all tests was run in OpenGL 2 mode,

First I made a cube and a script that looped through the materials used in our scenes and logged what material was being used so if it was a shader issue it would be noticed. But all materials rendered fine and no errors was thrown. After that I added the HUD which is made with NGUI and this worked as well.

Next step was to strip all logic from the level and just render the scene with OpenGL 2, that also works even with the HUD added on the screen.

So the conclusion is that it must be something in the logic that makes the game not be able to render when running on OpenGL 2. But the game runs fine on iOS and some android devices when running in OpenGL 2.

5. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

6. PedramGC

PedramGC

@MrEsquire I posted my post just as I saw @Tylerpro 's post. I am going to build using 4.6.1p1 and will repost the result.

7. DrSchreber

DrSchreber

My two friends and I have just nearly finished our first 2D game with Unity, except that it will not run on Galaxy S3 devices that are running 4.4.2. I found this thread last week right around the time the 4.6.1p1 build was released, so I tried exporting two different APKs with that build, one using the "Automatic" graphics level setting, and one forcing OpenGL ES 2.0 (both using 32-bit Display Buffer), neither of which have worked. When I tried installing and running the APK, the Unity splash screen showed up followed by a black screen. It looked like the game kept trying to restart. Our game isn't on the Google Play store yet, but I will be more than happy to email anyone the APK if they are willing to help figure out what the problem is and how to go about fixing it. Our game works completely fine on iOS and every other Android device that we've tried testing on.

8. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

I hope this week Thursday we can get 4.6.1 patch 2 and hope it has more Android fixes as still there are issues.

9. DrSchreber

DrSchreber

I hope so too. It's frustrating to read that developers with games already on the Google Play store got hammered with low ratings because of this. We definitely don't plan on releasing until we can get this figured out.

10. PedramGC

PedramGC

I downloaded Unity 4.6.1p1 and tested but no improvement. Hope this issue gets fixed asap.

11. florianpenzkofer

florianpenzkofer

Unity Technologies

Can you please try to create a repro project and file a bug report? I can't reproduce a black screen on the Shield Tablet (Android 5.0) using OpenGL ES 2 in Unity 4.6.1p1 with a trivial project.

12. Piwot-Games

Piwot-Games

We are getting many 1 star review too, people are reporting "Black Screen and crashes on start".
    Some of the devices from our players with issues are:

MeMO PAD (me172v)
    LG G2 (g2)
    HTC Desire X

We are using 4.6.1 p1.

13. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

4.6.1p2 is coming tommorow, I really hope there is some Android fixes included.
    Last patch of the year btw

14. Fornoreason1000

Fornoreason1000

is this is what happening to like every android developer?
    or is this issue different?

Unity 4.6.1f1

ZTE T82 (older, running 4.04)
    Samsung Galaxy S3 ( 4.41)

I noticed my CPU will peak, then Drop to almost nothing until i exit...then sits and this screen for infinity, no sound either
    happens both phones. I noticed on my ZTE the Home and Back button would also disappear?

project is a camera with a texture ?

Weird stuff... I hope this patch actually works

Screenshot_2014-12-19-23-32-24[1].png

Vaupell likes this.
  15. jerryberry

jerryberry

Can you try today's patch and post result here? Because my users report the same issue and on all my devices it's ok. It seems to appear only on few devices.

16. Droidspirit

Droidspirit

Unity 4.6.1p2 installed and test it on p5210 and...

*drum-rolls*

...it works! BUUUUT!

Now i can´t open the softkeyboard when i click on a input field on touch devices (Nexus 7, Nexus 4, etc.) damn it!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  17. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

I hope more users can confirm if its working or not, so it seems to me some issues solved and some new problems created...ah man

Droidspirit likes this.
  18. Fornoreason1000

Fornoreason1000

CPU normal instead of the peak and off thing
    tested on Both
    ZTE T82
    Galaxy S3

Unity 4.6.1p2

the keyboard glitch i can work with, the black screen complete death thing not so much

Don't know what Unity did but i sure hope they don't repeat it

Screenshot_2014-12-20-22-57-44[1].png

19. PedramGC

PedramGC

I have updated to Unity 4.6.1p2 and still have the issue, audio and input works but nothing gets rendered. One strange thing is that it works on OnePlus One devices but not on Nvidia Shied, Shield tablet and HTC One. My loggs don't receive any problems either. Everything looks good in the loggs.
    Is it a Android SDK issue?

20. Piwot-Games

Piwot-Games

On our game, Patch 2 fixes come issues, but introduced fickering on meshes with dynamic batching... so now our scenes are a mess (disabling dynamic batching remove the flickering) o_O

21. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Does not sound good, we need a bug report but I think we not see any new patch until the new year

22. tarasfromlviv

tarasfromlviv

I Still get same action bar + black screen and ANR on Samsung Galaxy S4 after I rapidly close my game and start it again. (built with 4.6.1p2)

23. spotavi

spotavi

Same issue seen with 4.6.1p2.

win death, happens suddenly when in play state. Using the following settings :
    IMG_20141229_150847.jpg

12-29 14:28:25.237 I/WindowState(680): WIN DEATH: Window{2efc4fe8 u0 com.xxx.xxx/com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayerNativeActivity}

24. PedramGC

PedramGC

I have fixed the issue I was having.
    In our game we have different quality settings for different devices.
    QualitySettings.SetQualityLevel (qualityLevel, true) fixed the problem for me. I find it strange that this works flawlessly when running on OpenGL 3. Maybe some texture loading improvements done in OpenGL 3 that made it work good?

25. spotavi

spotavi

You are setting the quality in Start() ?
    Also are you using Opengl es 2 . We cant use opengles3 as most devices might not support it yet .

26. GamenamiGames

GamenamiGames

27. PedramGC

PedramGC

I was using OpenGL 3 but now I am using OpenGL 2.
    I change the qulity in the load scene. I want the menu and credits to have high quality settings, so I change the quality in the loading to device specific and when returning to main menu I change it back to highest quality.

28. SniperEvan

SniperEvan

I am getting the same black screen issue on both of my devices (Asus Transformer tf101, and HTC Thunderbolt).

General Info:
    - I created a project from scratch in Unity 4.6.1 with just a camera and a few cubes and a directional light. Everything looks fine in the editor scene and game view but once I build it to either device it only ever shows a black screen. There is no Unity splash logo.
    - The game works on BOTH devices using the Unity 4 Remote app.
    - I have tried every combination enabling and disabling the bit buffers, and switching between GL2/ Gl3/ Automatic modes.
    - Anti aliasing is off
    - All the graphics settings have been set to the minimum and I haven't added any textures or shaders that should mess anything up.

Reinstalling Unity did nothing. I'm downloading the latest patch now. Hoping for the best...

29. SniperEvan

SniperEvan

30. spotavi

spotavi

4.6.1p2 does not solve the issue.
    Still happens on Android lollipop 5.0.1 if that helps. ( Nexus 4 )

31. elias_t

elias_t

Yes same here:

java.lang.Error: FATAL EXCEPTION [UnityMain]
    Unity version : 4.6.1p2
    Device model : LGE Nexus 4
    Device fingerprint: google/occam/mako:5.0.1/LRX22C/1602158:user/release-keys

Caused by: java.lang.Error: signal 11 (SIGSEGV), code 7 (?), fault addr 006e006f
    Build fingerprint: 'google/occam/mako:5.0.1/LRX22C/1602158:user/release-keys'
    Revision: '11'
    pid: 23826, tid: 23851, name: UnityMain >>> com.DigiExplore.MyCreteGuide <<<
    r0 00000000 r1 00000000 r2 00000000 r3 00000000
    r4 00000000 r5 00000000 r6 00000000 r7 00000000
    r8 00000000 r9 00000000 sl 00000000 fp 00000000
    ip 00000000 sp 00000000 lr 00000000 pc 00000000 cpsr 753a3835

at Unknown.00000000(Unknown Source)

32. spotavi

spotavi

There are 2 bugs here :

1. The release key crash bug
    2. WIN DEATH bug

33. Vaupell

Vaupell

Excaktly the same here- nice screenshot...btw.

Getting multiple issues reported through google, also my own devices.
    However, reverted to older versions mainly unity 4.1 ish era, and my old builds
    still work on the new android platforms.

So it's only when i build on a new unity platform, is there some place where i can
    download old "unity" platforms, because i'd rather work with a working version like 4.1 than
    a non working newer version..

Even did a "blank project test" a scene with a sphere, camera and light.
    even that wont load, and there are no textures, scripts or anything.

EDIT 2 :

tryed patch 2 and then I ajusted my player settings to
    - use 32 and 23 bit buffer
    - disable multithreaded rendering
    - enable dynamic batching
    - force opengl 2.0
    - FAT Atm7 + x86
    - .net 2.0 subset, was using .net 2.0

That made the test app work.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  34. diegoadrada

diegoadrada

I thought I was the only one who was getting one star ratings for this problembut I see that no. I'll try to Patch 4.6.1p2which by the way also fixes the problem with crush on some devices when you have the HW Statistics option enabled.

35. GamenamiGames

GamenamiGames

36. neciogames

neciogames

No Nexus 7 with Android 5.0.2 (Lollipop) still crashes with "WIN DEATH" when building the apk with Patch 4.6.1p3

37. spotavi

spotavi

THIS IS FRUSTRATING !!

We ported the entire UI to the new Unity UI and stuck with "WIN DEATH" bug !!
    Can someone in Unity please respond ??

Unity 4.6.1p3
    Android Phones: Nexus 4 , nexus5 .

neciogames, elias_t and MrEsquire like this.
  38. xXKeLLerman

xXKeLLerman

Same issue please help!

39. spotavi

spotavi

Can someone just confirm with their projects ?

I just enabled 24 bit buffer in publish settings and Win Death bug is gone !!

p.s: Seems like new Unity project enables 24 bit buffer by default , as most of us have upgraded our projects we might not have enabled it !

40. xXKeLLerman

xXKeLLerman

Can you post all your settings please.

41. elias_t

elias_t

spotavi. You mean 24 bit depth buffer?

42. neciogames

neciogames

Enabling 24 bit depth buffer does not work for me.
    And by the way Web Player builds are also not running when building with Patch 4.6.1p3 they require a higher revision of the Unity Web Player than available.

43. spotavi

spotavi

The settings i am using. Dont see any random crashes with this on Lollipop. Also using Unity 4.6.1p2. ( Saw another thread saying p3 is buggy )
    settings.jpg

44. spotavi

spotavi

45. mcmorry

mcmorry

Sorry guys but this thread is about black screen or about lollipop crashes?
    I have players complaining of black screen on Samsung GS3 running Android 4.4.2 and a HP Touchpad running 4.0.4 but I can't reproduce it because on my S3 I can't find a way to upgrade to 4.4.2.
    Did someone open a bug report on unity about this with a test project?

46. neciogames

neciogames

Heya
    I downloaded and testet the Patch 4.6.1p4 and the issue is gone.

spotavi likes this.
  47. xXKeLLerman

xXKeLLerman

Yes we are talking about black screen on numerous android devices (Android version doens't matter).
    I am still getting 1 star ratings because of this.
    Devs pls fix this!

48. ChiuanWei

ChiuanWei

:(
    my android device : HUAWEI A80
    when open the game, only black screen with a top titlebar...
    i have test 4.5.5 is ok,but only in unity4.6.1f1 got this error!
    mybe like previous say,4.6.1p4 has fixed that, thanks a lot.

49. mcmorry

mcmorry

I had finally the opportunity to test on many devices and on many of them I have the black screen problem.
    I'm already using 4.6.1p4.
    After many tests the only workaround was to clear only the depth buffer on the main camera, but this leads to a huge drop of FPS, so is not an acceptable solution.
    I'll create a small project to reproduce the bug and I'll send a bug report in few hours.

50. mcmorry

mcmorry

Bug report submitted. Number 664659

It seams that the problem arises when on the main camera there is at least one full screen image effect.

MrEsquire likes this.