Search Unity

1. All Pro and Enterprise subscribers: find helpful & inspiring creative, tech, and business know-how in the new Unity Success Hub. Sign in to stay up to date.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Android App Bundle, how to upload game larger than 100 mb ?

Discussion in 'Android' started by free4allgames, Feb 1, 2019.

1. grobonom

grobonom

I also fell in the >150MB google trap.
    Amazing to see this company hosting billions of petabytes of data about each person in the world is dumb enough for recucing an app size to 150 ridiculous MB !

Now i have to struggle finding a solution and waste time for it, because of stupid limits.

Does anyone know other android app platform that do no have the google play store defects ?

Happy unitying :)

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Any (most just allow straight up an APK without having to split the game), although none are as popular as google play.

grobonom likes this.
  3. grobonom

grobonom

Back there with some infos and questions^^

Sumup:
    - APK size limit is 100MB
    - AAB size limit is 150MB per target
    - google forces you to use AAB ( APK are still OK but not for long )
    - unity target separation is of no help
    - unity 150MB warning is useless sh1t ( and bwt do not work )

The .OBB solution is not one as gogol states it's now almost obsolete.

Officially, google limit is 2GB !!!!
    But as they're small-d1cked :p they only allow a 150MB loader and the rest ( real usefull data from our unity projects ) in another file.

The interresting thing from google ( interresting is not the right word... ) is here:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/new-google-play-asset-delivery-possible-with-ucb.872575/

The thing is that in unity we got no mean of creating this file ( i guess it can contain textures, assets, meshes, sounds, etc.... )

So untill U3D dev team will offer us a tickbox on the build settings window, saying "create loader and scene so that gogol is happy" we are screwed :(

there are many ( too many ) possibilities:
    - asset bundles loaded at runtime
    - addressables loaded at runtime

All are unity3D solutions requesting big bunch of code and time and at the moment i don't know wether or not this will mess-up my unity project or targets ( textures are not the same when you target android or windows ! )
    Making target transparent is the ( really amazing ) role of unity and thanks to gogol it's simply fu*ked-up.

Shall i have to leave the android target due to S***fullness just like i left webGL for the same reason ?

I'm kinda disappointed with all this and sincerely see no escape.

If anyone have a clue ? I'd really be glad !!!!

Now, from your game dev point of view...

Is play store aimed to sell game loaders ?
    I mean my Carcassonne app would just be a loader of something located on google servers ? or on my servers ?
    Sorry to say but we are in 2021 and VR and AR comes to light smartphones.
    I wonder who can make VR or AR with less than 150MB of data, vertex, textures, and PBR rendering !
    I do but i just smashed my face on the limit..... and this really pee-me-off !

Please could anyone help ? :)

Happy unitying !

4. Jes28

Jes28

For now you can only wait.
    Or use heavy solution like addresables or something from third party

May be you can try to put everything into one bundle and use com.google.play.assetdelivery package manually by just copying code from samples in docs

https://resources.unity.com/unity-engine-roadmap/platforms
    upload_2021-4-18_6-20-2.png

grobonom likes this.
  5. grobonom

grobonom

Hi @Jes28

Thanks for the link !

I didn't know about this roadmap page and am very interrested in it :)

I'm really happy u3D devs are taking care of this android problem and i'm sure they will build a simple & efficient solution.
    As you said, i just have to wait. ( and i guess am not the only one who will wait impatiently :p )

Happy unitying :)

6. domonyiv

domonyiv

apkdev likes this.
  7. grobonom

grobonom

I noticed it and wrote a lil message :)

I also downloaded the 2021.1.3f1 but it appears there's nothing implemented yet for targetting towards android with asset bundles :/
    I wonder when this can be delivered ( even in beta test ^^ )

Happy unitying !

8. grobonom

grobonom

Anyone knows when this feature will be visible even in a beta or alpha unity version ?

9. Cerberus_team

Cerberus_team

Any news on this?

10. HasanMakesGamess

HasanMakesGamess

Hey everyone i'v been working on my mobile game for almost 8 months and now when try to upload the game it says the apk file must be less than 100 mb and i'v tried the split application binary and the file is still 214mb

I would like to know how to publish my game for more than 100 mb i'v been searching on this topic for many weeks and yet nothing is makes sense

Some ppl say I need to write a script some say I can't publish more than 100mb and some say uou have to use aab and i'v tried all but nothing is working

I'm just so lost Idk what to do anymore all my hardwork won't pay off I'm just so upset

If anyone knows how to publish a game with more than 100mb it would be incredibly helpful
    -----------------SOLUTION---------------------

UPDATE : For everyone struggling on this topic I have a solution so listen carefully

First follow this tutorial until you reach the file upload page then do what I wrote down

WHAT TO DO :

Firstly, when you want to export your project you must untick the 'Use Android App Bundle' and tick Split application binary under publishing settings then you must create a new empty scene then add a script to it that loads the first scene on void Start then export your project there will be 2 files one with .Apk and the other with .obb then drag the apk file to the file upload thing then add the obb file and hopefully your done

EXPLANATION :

- an apk file limit is 100mb
    - an obb file limit is 2gb
    - The apk file contains only the very first scene of your build
    -The obb file contains the rest of the project build

So what we're doing here is creating an empty scenes so that the apk's mb is low then we immediately load the original first scene through the script and the obb can contain the rest of the project

If you have any questions feel completely free to ask me because I know your struggle and I don't want ppl to get stuck in this mess while publishing

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  11. djdavidrevolution

djdavidrevolution

That solution will be deprecated in a few months when aab files become mandatory. We hope Unity can bring us this solution before that: https://portal.productboard.com/gup.../c/525-support-for-google-play-asset-delivery

12. HasanMakesGamess

HasanMakesGamess

13. kaarloew

kaarloew

If you have existing game with .obb that gets updates, it will require some work to move to the new system.

14. djdavidrevolution

djdavidrevolution

The deadline of .obb apps is August, so we will need an .aab solution if we want to upload or update our games. I don't know if Unity will be able to bring us a solution before that deadline, otherwise it would be a bad thing.

unityunity