Search Unity

[Android][3D] HALT Indie Mobile Game

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by KellerDev, Oct 13, 2018.

?

Do you like the design?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. KellerDev

KellerDev

Hi All! Another personal Unity project finished.
    I released this indie game to Google Play market. It is developed as a hobby project, in the span of around one year. I am the sole creator for the models, textures, code, effects and music in the game.

The game is a classical first person shooter, inspired to some extend by the Half Life series.

It is quite challenging to work alone on a game, but I learned a lot in the process, and now I use this knowledge professionally.
    For now it's available only for Android on Google Play Store - Here!
    You can Also see the project on Behance

15361 OUTPUT.png
    4972 OUTPUT.png
    0790 OUTPUT.png
    2650 OUTPUT.png 0109 OUTPUT.png

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User

nice lighting...really makes it pop..might want to back down the occlusion a little, its a bit dark in the edges and corners...parts almost seems a little flat..like the main weapon..needs a little pizzaz, specular highlights would be a start ..just little things..great job! p-

colemanation and KellerDev like this.
  3. KellerDev

KellerDev

Thanks! Yes, you are correct. I didn't wan't to include specular highlights to keep the performance ok on older devices. Maybe I should make some more tests if it has a big impact on perfomance though

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  4. Deleted User

Deleted User

you can always test....I use this shader all the time, targeting older mobiles, 2.0 shader model..
    Try it...copy and paste into notepad, save as 'Mobile-Spec.shader' in utf-8 format, import into project, copy gloss map into alpha channel of your dif texture,( or create your own from dif?) save as tga 32 bit w/ alpha...mobile shader speed is dictated by instruction set length.
    this is bare bones...
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader "Mobile/Specular" {
    2. Properties {
    3.     _Shininess ("Shininess", Range (0.03, 1)) = 0.078125
    4.     _MainTex ("Base (RGB) Gloss (A)", 2D) = "white" {}
    5. }
    6. SubShader {
    7.     Tags { "RenderType"="Opaque" }
    8.     LOD 250
    10. CGPROGRAM
    11. #pragma surface surf MobileBlinnPhong exclude_path:prepass nolightmap noforwardadd halfasview
    13. inline fixed4 LightingMobileBlinnPhong (SurfaceOutput s, fixed3 lightDir, fixed3 halfDir, fixed atten)
    14. {
    15.     fixed diff = max (0, dot (s.Normal, lightDir));
    16.     fixed nh = max (0, dot (s.Normal, halfDir));
    17.     fixed spec = pow (nh, s.Specular*128) * s.Gloss;
    19.     fixed4 c;
    20.     c.rgb = (s.Albedo * _LightColor0.rgb * diff + _LightColor0.rgb * spec) * (atten*2);
    21.     c.a = 0.0;
    22.     return c;
    23. }
    25. sampler2D _MainTex;
    26. half _Shininess;
    28. struct Input {
    29.     float2 uv_MainTex;
    30. };
    32. void surf (Input IN, inout SurfaceOutput o) {
    33.     fixed4 tex = tex2D(_MainTex, IN.uv_MainTex);
    34.     o.Albedo = tex.rgb;
    35.     o.Gloss = tex.a;
    36.     o.Alpha = tex.a;
    37.     o.Specular = _Shininess;
    38. }
    39. ENDCG
    40. }
    42. FallBack "Mobile/VertexLit"
    43. }

p-

5. KellerDev

KellerDev

Thanks for sharing! For now I don't really have experience with custom shader code so I was relying on the build in shaders, but I will definitely give this a try.

6. Randomeda

Randomeda

Hi,

At the very first scene the game lagged heavily. My phone is not high-end but not a budget one either (Galaxy A3 2017) and I've played plenty of other games with better graphics that run faster. So optimization is needed. (And graphics aren't the top concerns for me when playing a game).
    The story at the beginning is hard to make out because the voice echoes too much. The other voice on the next level sounds good though.
    You could add a loading indicator, or at least a "loading" text between level loads - sometimes it felt like the game is freezing, even knowing it's just unity loading the scene.
    Controls need fine tuning. It's very frustrating that the up-down direction is absolute while the left-right turn is relative. It makes aiming very hard to get used to. Also, when my finger goes out of the control circles, input stops right away. This happens of course in the middle of a fight. Consider implementing a joystick that will place an anchor to the position inside the control circle where your finger landed. If pulled away from the anchor point, make it work just like it is now, but the center of the "real" circle should be the anchor point. Clamp movement at a max radius, even if you pull your finger out of the circle.
    The first level was boring, walking around looking for 10 arrows. The second challenge was the best, when I had to shoot down some robots trying to keep my health and ammo up. The third challenge was too challenging and made no sense to walk to arrows and shoot at the same time. Especially that you cannot move while shooting. And that's when I stopped playing because my frustration was too high.
    Don't take all these too seriously, it's a nice job you've done with this, and I'm a very sensitive player and sometimes complain more than what is real about UX, but still, you could improve this game that will make it much better.

Keep up the good work,
    Aron

KellerDev likes this.
  7. KellerDev

KellerDev

Hey thanks for your feedback! I always appreciate constructive criticism. I've been struggling to make good controls from the beginning but I might give it another try with your suggestions. Also good to know about the lagging, I will look it up. Good suggestion also for the loading screen.
    Overall very helpful feedback, thanks for taking the time!

8. KellerDev

KellerDev

I created a new release for the game, implementing some of the remarks from above. Namely the control system - i redesigned it the way Randomeda suggested. I think it's much more user friendly now.
    Anyway, here's a the gameplay with the new controllers on YouTube

I removed the "Fire" button, and now am using the same controller for shooting and moving, the disadvantage ofcourse being that everytime you start moving you shoot one time. I think it's worthed though, cause it's much more simple that way and there is abundance of ammo anyway arround the level
    here's the updated version.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018