Search Unity

Anchor Rotation / Connected Anchor Rotation

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Zergling103, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Zergling103

Zergling103

In Unity 4.x, an option to explicitly define the connected anchor's (local) position was provided. Thank you for this! However, while I'm happy for this change, it's not really sufficient for doing something that I feel is very basic and might be a common issue.

You can easily demonstrate a problem from not being able to define the joint's anchor rotation: Build a ragdoll, and let it fall to the ground, then de-activate and then re-activate the ragdoll's root transform. After doing so the "rest" rotations will have changed. Do this repeatedly and eventually the ragdoll will start to resemble a mangled jelly monster. This can easily be a problem if you, for example, pool game objects that have joints. It is also possible to create this problem when converting characters into ragdolls who are not in a T-Pose at the time of being converted.

I think this happens because the rest rotation is defined as the relative rotation between two rigidbodies at the time the joint was created.

In the PhysX SDK, you are given the option to provide the position and rotation of a joint for both of the connected rigidbodies, whereas the Unity implementation only supplies position.

Are there plans to expose the anchor rotations? If not, it would be extremely useful for us and possibly many others, please consider it.

P.S. I have a work around, but no one likes workarounds, and it's ugly and slow. :(

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  2. Zergling103

Zergling103

Bumping this thread. It is still an issue.

Please, just allow us to have complete accessibility to the PhysX API. It's right there, you just need to write a little wrapper. I would do it myself if I could, but I'd need access to the native pointers to the joint objects in PhysX to do it, which you've hidden away from us.

3. Zergling103

Zergling103

4. Zergling103

Zergling103

It has been over a week, still no reply from the QA team.

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape