Search Unity

Question Analytics (New) - Can Data Explorer Queries be shared across environments?

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by PeachyPixels, Jun 16, 2022.

1. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Hello!

I've just spotted that Data Explorer & SQL Data Explorer queries (in the Dashboard) belong to an environment rather than the game itself.

Is there anyway (or a plan) to have them shared across multiple environments? (or to put it another way, owned by the game rather than a game environment)

Moving a game from the development to production state, means the queries now have to be copied (and kept in sync going forward)

If not, could this idea be put forward to the relevant team as a feature request please?

2. unity_Ctri

unity_Ctri

Unity Technologies

Hey David,

I know there's work being done to improve the experience when it comes to working across environments, but don't have anything to share at this point.
    I will make sure that request & use case makes it to the right people :)

PeachyPixels likes this.
  3. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

4. unity_Ctri

unity_Ctri

Unity Technologies

Hey David,

Quick update on this - the Data Access offering already allows for querying to occur across multiple games already. Whilst this doesn't extend to our built in dashboards & visualisations, it would allow for a quick and convenient mechanism for changing which environment you're querying.
    You can read more about that here: https://docs.unity.com/analytics/DataAccess.html

This will let you work with any 3rd party visualisation library / tool that you'd like to use, along with any other integrations you have in mind.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
    PeachyPixels likes this.
  5. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Hey @unity_Ctri

Thanks for the feedback :)

That's definitely something I'll be looking into if player numbers rise going forward. As it stands, I'll see no return on the investment. The free Analytics reporting will likely offer everything that's needed until then.

Does the new Analytics allow for raw data download by any chance? (i.e. JSON\CSV). I certainly can't see anything along those lines in the dashboard.

Update: I can see this has already been answered here...

https://forum.unity.com/threads/how...lect-with-new-analytics.1297107/#post-8219100

Thanks anyway!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  6. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

FYI the previous Raw Data Export for legacy Analytics required a Pro license of the Unity Editor, it was not a free service. For UGS Analytics, it will still be free for most customers who don't reach the event limits.

7. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Thanks @JeffDUnity3D

My understanding was that Unity hosts the data warehouse (as you say, upto a fair limit) and Snowflake ultimately queries it (so they're not charging us for storage) then returns the output as a table\graph (which they charge us for to process)

Tbh their site a little vague on costs and even then, I'm guessing it depends on how large the data sets are and how fast their infrastructures is.

Maybe one to revisit, but free UGS Analytics is likely good enough for me right now :)

Thanks anyway!

8. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Can you elaborate "free UGS Analytics", you mean the beta soon to go live? Or as opposed to also leveraging Data Access. Legacy Analytics will be deprecated soon and the servers shut down eventually. One note, the Small Snowflake instances are too slow to be usable.

9. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Yes, the free tier offering upto 25m transactions pcm.

unity_Ctri and JeffDUnity3D like this.