Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Analytics math for "New Users" completely whacked?

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by rames44, Mar 19, 2018.

1. rames44

rames44

I'm seeing analytics results that I completely don't understand, and which suggest that the "New Users" count that Unity graphs so nicely is being completely miscalculated.

To start with, my setup:

In addition to whatever Unity does by default, my app uses custom analytics, along with Unity's "screen_visited" items. Right at the beginning of the app, before the text is even displayed on the first screen, I log a "StartedWithLanguage" custom event, parameterized with the language code that the user is using. This happens at the end of my data loading process, which is 4-5 frames after the Start() methods are run in the initial scene.

In addition, I log a "screen_visited" event for most of the screens in the app as part of their Start() processing.

So what do I get?
    StartedWithLanguage > All Current Users > Unique Users:
    3/16 - 381 users
    3/17 - 1484 users
    3/18 - 594
    screen_visit > All Current Users > Unique Users
    3/16 - 371 users
    3/17 - 1385 users
    3/18 - 554 users

(These aren't the rounded numbers that are shown in the graphs, they're taken from the CSV download. And, of course, 3/18 isn't over as I write this, so those numbers aren't complete as yet.)

These numbers seem reasonably self-consistent, since it is possible to exit the app between the "StartedWithLanguage" and the first "screen_visit". (There's one screen that doesn't have a "screen_visit" that the user would see between the StartedWithLanguage and the first "screen_visit", and which would be an opportunity for the user to exit the app.)

To be more specific, the sequence goes:
    1) Unity does its own splash screen thing
    2) My first scene launches, and displays a completely empty screen
    3) I do some data loading, which is split over 4-5 frames by coroutines
    4) I log the StartedWithLanguage event
    5) I enable the text and buttons on my first scene, one of which will exit the app without continuing. (Of course Alt-F4 works as well.)
    6) The users presses a "continue" button
    7) I load my main menu, which includes a "screen_visit" analytic as part of its Start() processing.

All well and good.

But what is Unity reporting for "New Users?"

3/16 - 803 users
    3/17 - 3,310 users
    3/18 - 1,268 users

So how the heck is Unity managing to record more than two times as many "New Users" than are managing to get to my first custom analytic, when that custom analytic is recorded before the user ever sees any text or can press any buttons? I could image a _few_ users who managed to Alt-F4 the app while Unity was showing it's splash screen, but half the total population? Nope - not gonna believe that one.

Mind you, I'm not confusing "Unique Users" with "Number of Events." Even if I was,
    StartedWithLanguage > All Current Users > Number Of Events
    3/16 - 445 Occurrances
    3/17 - 1,776
    3/18 - 686
    Still barely half of what Unity is reporting as "New Users."

Also, if I look at the Segment Builder, so far (evening of 3/18) Unity has recorded a cumulative 4,123 "Total Members." But if you sum what Unity is saying for "New Users" for 3/16, 3/17 and 3/18, you get 5,381. So I have 4,123 "Total Members" but 5,381 "New Users" over three days?

I'm sorry, ladies and gentlemen, but these numbers don't in any way add up.

If "New Users" had been less than what my custom analytics recorded, I would have understood - repeat users, after all. But where did the 1,258 "New Users" go that aren't in the "All Current Users?" And where are all these "New Users" that never manage to log any of my custom analytics?

I just can't make head nor tail of these numbers.

Anyone have any explanations?

2. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@rames44

Could you share your project ID (either in a private message or support ticket)? That will make it a lot easier to investigate your specific issue.

3. rames44

rames44

@ap-unity - I submitted a support ticket, including more up-to-date data on what I'm being presented.

Thanks for your attention!