Search Unity

Analytics for editor side tools

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by rustofelees, Jul 10, 2019.

1. rustofelees

rustofelees

I'm curious if it's possible to generate analytics data for a Unity tool that that's only intended to be used in the editor and not at run-time. I'd like to know if I can use Unity Analytics or if I would need to implement a custom solution to gather the usage data.

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

You could certainly see if Unity Analytics would work, using Custom Events https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnityAnalyticsCustomEventScripting.html

3. rustofelees

rustofelees

I didn't know if custom events / analytics worked outside of run time but it sounds like it does. Could you also tell me how analytics understands the project in question? Ie, if I hosted a project on a server or bundled a project into a package to give access to others, what information in the project links a persons local project to that stored in Unity Cloud (again assuming that i only want to run analytics in editor and not at run time)?

4. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

It would not work that way. You would not receive their events if the events came from another customers game that used your package. The events would go to their dashboard. So it might not be a solution for you.

5. rustofelees

rustofelees

Ah, this is what I anticipated. Thanks for verifying.