Search Unity

1. Check out the Unite LA keynote for updates on the Visual Effect Editor, the FPS Sample, ECS, Unity for Film and more! Watch it now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Analytics Dashboard: Total Sessions and Playtime Calculations Rules?

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by youbacca, Feb 7, 2017.

1. youbacca

youbacca

Sorry to ask such a basic question, but I could not find any documentation on the exact conditions that delineate a "session" start and end, that go into the automatic calculation of Total Sessions, Playtime, etc, per below.

upload_2017-2-7_15-29-30.png

I'm mostly interested in the "end" delineation of a session, (what triggers it), as I assume the "start" simply comes from loading the game.

Also - I assume the playtime is exactly calculated from the session (end-start) metrics, but if that is not the case, I'd love to know how that is calculated as well. I'd also like to know what affect, if any, putting a game into the background has on calculation of playtime (or session).

If these details are documented somewhere, please feel free to toss me a link. (I looked in the glossary and various parts of the forum, but could not find the info).

Thank you!

Uri

2. festival

festival

I track my own playtime. I get the start time when player stat the game and when game ends.

A custom Event is fired where I just sent a string like

">30sec"
    ">60sec"
    "<30sec"

depends of the time I calculated from level_end-level_start

Hope it helps.

3. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

If you put a game in the background for more than 30 minutes, when it comes back, it counts as a new session.