Search Unity

Bug analog Slider is reported by ReadValue<float>() as delivering 1 at app start

Discussion in 'Input System' started by uani, Apr 18, 2022.

1. uani

uani

(Thrustmaster T.1600M) analog Slider (/Thrust lever) is reported by
    ReadValue<float>()
    as delivering
    at app start until it is actuated by the player physically which is when it delivers the correct current value.

This issue in particular I observe since today, in builds of my application since about 2 months ago, using Input System 1.3.0, on Windows 11 with all Windows Updates and Thrustmaster drivers up to date.

Interestingly, in all tests for the past 2 hours the Slider was delivering 1 at app start although it should have delivered -1, but in the test just now the x-axis delivered an elongation not being physically actuated (way out of any deadzone). Perhaps the joystick has a defect.

On the other hand, once I perform a physical actuation of the joystick all values are delivered as expected.

Posting this here for others to chime in if they can extend this observation (as is one purpose of a forum).

Windows Game Controller Settings shows the Slider value as being in middle position (value 0) when opening it and updates the Slider value to right position (value -1) when I actuate it slightly and value -1 (ie slider in bottom physical position) is the expected value.
    I just calibrated the joystick in those settings and the x/y-axis center position appears to be at rest (ie almost "0" deadzone necessary as I'm used to from this joystick), thus while the Slider being initially delivered as value 1 by Input System and as 0 by Windows lets appear likely it has some "undefined" value initially which gets mapped by those software differently, the recently observed initial x-axis elongation in Input System appears to be unfounded. However I would concur here might be some issue with the hardware or (Thrustmaster) driver. I'm not versed in USB debugging thus I leave it up to the hopefully expertedly-being expert of the Input System developer to gauge this issue further and take necessary actions.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022