Search Unity

An Update on Substance Format Support in Unity

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by ans_unity, Dec 19, 2017.

1. jingge

jingge

Export Substance Materials In Unity AssetBundles Erorr!!

Unknown Assembly Substance.Game
    UnityEditor.BuildPipeline:BuildAssetBundles(String, BuildAssetBundleOptions, BuildTarget)
    AssetBundleBrowser.AssetBundleDataSource.AssetDatabaseABDataSource:BuildAssetBundles(ABBuildInfo) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.assetbundlebrowser@1.7.0/Editor/AssetBundleDataSource/AssetDatabaseABDataSource.cs:87)
    AssetBundleBrowser.AssetBundleBuildTab:ExecuteBuild() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.assetbundlebrowser@1.7.0/Editor/AssetBundleBuildTab.cs:359)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallDelayFunctions()

2. AcuityCraig

AcuityCraig

Hello,

I am trying to do a Unity Cloud Build to iOS on an AR Foundation project with Substance. Prior to the latest release (2.4.4 was what I had) I was able to get good iOS builds but now I get the following error:
    ❌; ld: bitcode bundle could not be generated because '/BUILD_PATH/<PROJECTPATH>/Libraries/Allegorithmic/Plugins/Substance/iOS/libSubstance.Engine.a(S00_EntryPoints.o)' was built without full bitcode. All object files and libraries for bitcode must be generated from Xcode Archive or Install build for architecture arm64
    286: ❌; clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
    287: ▸ clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

If I remove substance I get:
    ❌; Undefined symbols for architecture arm64
    264: ❌; ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture arm64
    265: ❌; clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
    266: ▸ clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

if I build in XCode (with or without bitcode enabled) I get:
    Undefined symbols for architecture arm64:

"_cppCheckDimensions", referenced from:

_NativeFunctions_cppCheckDimensions_m23DCDF6EBB913EA779654085FCDEB3F2A684D9E4 in Substance.Platform.o

(maybe you meant: _NativeFunctions_cppCheckDimensions_m23DCDF6EBB913EA779654085FCDEB3F2A684D9E4)

ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture arm64

clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

ANY help on this is much appreciated.

3. HaimBendanan

HaimBendanan

@AcuityCraig I have the same problem (when building locally on a mac). Did you found a solution?

Undefined symbols for architecture arm64:

"_cppCheckDimensions", referenced from:

_NativeFunctions_cppCheckDimensions_m14247FD7FD30B3458B666334D27EB16749B6F7B2 in Substance.Platform.o

(maybe you meant: _NativeFunctions_cppCheckDimensions_m14247FD7FD30B3458B666334D27EB16749B6F7B2)

ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture arm64

4. AcuityCraig

AcuityCraig

@HaimBendanan no I have not. I made the decision to wipe substance from the project, remove its scripting defined symbols from the build settings (player settings > Other settings) and move on to other things till I get some kind of an answer.

5. AlessioRegal

AlessioRegal

hopeful likes this.
  6. chenquanjun

chenquanjun

Same problem. Now i cannot build ios app....

7. ARQueue_Du

ARQueue_Du

I'm encountering the same issue. Failing in Xcode.

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello,

I'm very sorry for this late reply. I missed these notifications on this post. Totally my fault.
    We do have this issues resolved in our upcoming 2.5.1 update.

Cheers,
    Wes

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2020
    Marco-Sperling and mcbauer like this.
  9. ksam2

ksam2

wesm

I use Unity 2018.4.20f but please look at below pic why it looks like this when I get close to wall? (It happens for all materials from substance database)

Attached Files:

• ISPS.jpg
      ISPS.jpg
      File size:
      715.9 KB
      Views:
  10. fuzzy3d

fuzzy3d

Hi, I tried to import version 2.5.4 into the newly created projects 2020.2 and 2021. Several times. I always got this message:
    Failed to extract Substance.Editor.InspectorSubstanceImporter class of base type UnityEditor.Experimental.AssetImporters.ScriptedImporterEditor when inspecting Assets/Allegorithmic/Plugins/Substance/Substance Engine/Editor/Substance.Editor.dll
    UnityEditor.AssemblyHelper:ExtractAllClassesThatAreUserExtendedScripts (string,string[]&,string[]&,string[]&)

I cleared the asset store cache and downloaded the plugin again, repeat. Architecture set to x86_64. Do you have any advice?

Edit:
    Unity 2020.2.1f1 works despite error messages (manual copy .sbsar files).
    Edit:
    Substance materials appear to be incompatible with path-tracing?
    Edit:
    Unity material created from Substance is HDRP/LitTessellation. This shader does not appear to be compatible with path-tracing. If I change shader to HDRP/Lit, works fine.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    syscrusher likes this.
  11. syscrusher

syscrusher

I've had the same error (and in the same two Unity versions) and have found that my Substances still work despite the error, although occasionally I need to reimport a .sbsar file. Newly-imported .sbsar files seem to be okay for me. I've never needed to clear the asset cache, however.

I'm not using path-tracing in my current project, so I can't comment on that aspect.

fuzzy3d likes this.
  12. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting this issue. The devs are looking into this error message. For the path-tracing we need to take a look. Could you please post this support question in our thread here. https://forum.substance3d.com/index.php?board=6.0. I can then have the devs and our QA reply to your question.

Thanks!
    Wes

fuzzy3d likes this.
  13. Gagan25

Gagan25

Hi,

I am using sbsar files with 2k resolution for maps in untiy3d. The number of sbsar files loaded in a scene will vary. There can be chances that 8 to 10 sbsar files are loaded in scene simultaneously. I want to achieve below things -

1. I want to optimize the use of substance in unity3d so that application can run without any issues. Currently with 2k textures, whenever I change any values of sbsar file (eg. normal intensity), it takes around 8 to 10 seconds to show the effect and also a lot of cpu power. In some cases the application freezes and crash.

2. I have to bake the maps for all sbsar files in a folder by running a loop that goes through all textures of all graphs at runtime once all the tweaking is done. This process is taking a lot of cpu power and memory. I want to optimize this process. I have checked the substance in unity api but have no clue how I can optimize it using 2k textures.

Please suggest and help me to optimize it.

14. fuzzy3d

fuzzy3d

Thanks for reply.
    - I think this is unity problem, not adobe (LitTesselation shader not supported by path-tracing). Path-tracing is not (yet) common mode.
    Substance materials looks great in unity!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  15. masai2k

masai2k

Hi, I upgraded your pluign to 2.5.4 version, but when I try to compile my project with XCode Archive I have an error:
    bitcode bundle could not be generated because '/Users/massimosarzi/Documents/Unity/BiRingGit/Biuild/ios/buildIos/Libraries/Allegorithmic/Plugins/Substance/iOS/libSubstance.Engine.a(S00_EntryPoints.o)' was built without full bitcode

If I build directly on my Iphone this error disappear. What I have to do?

Massimo

16. Wolfos

Wolfos

This plugin is so slow and buggy. Takes two minutes to make a single change. Sometimes it just decides to do the two minute import without even making a change. My height map is suddenly missing, even though it's checked. Guess that's four minutes of importing to do!
    EDIT: Nope, still gone

17. hopeful

hopeful

It can be related to Unity version. What version are you using?

18. Wolfos

Wolfos

hopeful likes this.