Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.1 has arrived! Read about it here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Scriptable Render Pipeline improvements, Texture Mipmap Streaming, and more! Check out what we have in store for you in the 2018.2 Beta.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you couldn't join the live stream, take a peek at what you missed.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

An Update on Substance Format Support in Unity

Discussion in 'External Tools' started by ans_unity, Dec 19, 2017.

1. mcbauer

mcbauer

Wes, I have a couple of concerns/comments with the update.

1, after going through the update, many of my materials still broke--stayed black, because my entire input texture library is compressed to DXT1 or 5 because that's how Unity rolls. After a lot of trial and error, I finally discovered that my alpha based textures needed to be RGBA 32 bit and non-alphas RGB 24 bit. I understand that this might not be an apparent issue if you aren't giving people the option to load in custom images, but my product enters around that so this one hurt. Definitely should be addressed in any material depicting the upgrade path.

I'm going to have to redo the update for a third time to see if I can actually get all of my materials to smoothly transition over since I now know a very relevant piece of information.

2. I used to be able to export my compiled bitmaps from within Unity, from the shader, but I'm not seeing that option anymore. Again,my product centers around this functionality. I really hope this wasn't removed.

2. Rowlan

Rowlan

Substance Live Link creates only AlbedoTranspareny, MetallicSmoothness and Normal maps. Is it possible to have also Height Map, Occlusion and Emission generated automatically and assigned to the Material?

mcbauer likes this.
  3. wesm

wesm

Allegorithmic Community Manager

Hi,
    We have it slated to take care of this issue. We will be adding height, AO and emissive in a future update. We are also going to support multiple mesh parts as well.

Cheers,
    Wes

Rowlan likes this.
  4. wesm

wesm

Hi,

Thanks very much for you feedback : ) I am speaking with the dev team about your issue number 1. I will report back on that one. For number 2, we just don't have the export option yet. This is on our to do list. The export bitmap feature will definitely be returning : ) I don't have an ETA as the team is focused on mobile for the next update, but exporting bitmaps will be part of the full release when we move out of beta.

Cheers,
    Wes

5. mcbauer

mcbauer

Awesome thanks Wes, glad to hear that.

6. nightcrawlerstudios

nightcrawlerstudios

I cannot import or use my Substance assets.

Here is my call stack:

Assets/Materials/comet_pit_surface.sbsar: Built-in support for Substance Designer materials has been removed from Unity. To continue using Substance Designer materials, you will need to install Allegorithmic's external importer from the Asset Store.
    UnityEditor.AssetDatabase:Refresh()
    SourceUnityLib.Classes.Helpers.SU_AssetDownloader:Update()
    SourceUnityLib.SourceUnityWindow:Update()
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()

I have Unity 2018.1 and have tried with 2018.2 beta as well.

Here are my steps to reproduce:
    1.) Create a new project.
    2.) Import the 'Substance in Unity' asset.
    3.) Open the Substance plugin, download a free substance.
    4.) A Materials folder is created. The substance appears in the folder as a single .sbsar file. I can't expand this file.
    5.) I see the above call stack in the Unity Console.

Can anyone help me with this?

7. nightcrawlerstudios

nightcrawlerstudios

FYI, this is the same issue I am experiencing.
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...be-used-even-if-substance-plugin-is-installed

8. nightcrawlerstudios

nightcrawlerstudios

One more thing: When I go to the "My Downloads" section of the Asset Store, I am not given the option to update my Substance in Unity asset.
    I need to be able to do this to get the Substance Engine dll, which the download does not include. (I downloaded Substance for the first time against Unity 2018.1.

9. wesm

wesm

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear you are having these troubles. I can't think of why this would not be working. From a 2018 project, downloading Substance in Unity will include the substance engine. The only time I've not seen this work is when you have downloaded Substance in Unity in a 2017 project. In that case, you just need to update, but as you stated you are not getting an update status for the plugin.

Can you post a screen shot of the package when you create a new project and import Substance in Unity? Are you not seeing the substance engine dll?

Cheers,
    Wes

10. nightcrawlerstudios

nightcrawlerstudios

Hi Wes, Thanks for the quick reply. I will upload screenshots of my steps in two posts, because I have >5 images.
    Let me know if you have more questions!

Thanks,
    Jaremie

Attached Files:

11. nightcrawlerstudios

nightcrawlerstudios

Here are steps 6,7 and 8.

Attached Files:

12. nightcrawlerstudios

nightcrawlerstudios

After reading your reply about 2017 Unity, I may have omitted important information from my first post: The first time I downloaded the Substance plugin it was from Unity 2017. The Upgrade option was not there, so I went through the upgrade steps listed in the Youtube video and the steps here: https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/integrations/Upgrading+2017.x+projects.
    I'm wondering if the Unity Asset store has somehow cached my download version and is reverting to that version to decide which version of the Asset it is providing (regardless of Unity Editor version)?
    Is there a way you can directly provide the libsubstance_sse2_blend.bundle so I don't have to go through the Asset Store?

Thanks,
    Jaremie

13. nyxassasin

nyxassasin

How can we use substances and live link with the HDRP Lit Tessellation shader?

14. dgoyette

dgoyette

Am I missing something obvious, or is there no longer a way to rename materials? For example:

upload_2018-6-11_0-26-47.png

Clicking the "+" button here creates another instance of the material, with a "_1" suffix. I don't see a way to change the name of the material. Is that just something you don't support yet?

15. dgoyette

dgoyette

Another question: What does the "upgrade" process described on this page actually do?

https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/integrations/Upgrading+2017.x+projects

I went through this process, and it didn't seem to have any impact on the result. For example, in my 2017.4 project I have an SBSAR with two graphs, call them "Main" and "Alt". Each has some different properties for the substance material. Upon updating to 2018.1 and using the new plugin, those two materials disappeared, and all that was left was a default material for the SBSAR using the defaults set in the substance.

Shouldn't the upgrade process have preserved the different graphs I've created? If not, what's the purpose of it?

[Edit]: I investigated this further, and found the issue appears to happen when running .NET 4.6. I posted this on Allegorithmic's forums here: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,24309.0.html

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  16. wesm

wesm

Hi,

We don't yet support the HDRP Lit shader with live link of the substance plugin. We will be supporting HDRP and LWRP in a future update.

Cheers,
    Wes

17. wesm

wesm

Unfortunately, we have not yet added the ability to rename the materials. We will be adding this functionality. It's definitely on our list to address.

Cheers,
    Wes

syscrusher likes this.
  18. f1chris

f1chris

2 weeks later, mobile support development still going as expected ??? ;-)

19. wesm

wesm

Yes! It's going well. Still can't give an ETA on our next update, but things are going as expected on our end : )

Cheers,
    Wes

f1chris likes this.
  20. wesm

wesm

Thanks very much for posting the issue you found with .net 4.6. I will speak to the dev team about this.

Cheers,
    Wes

21. syscrusher

syscrusher

Thanks, Wes. Like the OP, I was wondering if I was missing something in the UI.