Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

An Issue About Axis composite type

Discussion in 'Input System' started by LAndyPommel, Nov 7, 2019.

1. LAndyPommel

LAndyPommel

Hi guys!
    I'm not sure if this really is an issue or I was just dumb enough that cannot find the solution.
    I found that
    ReadValue<>()
    only return discrete results.

Here is my setup.
    upload_2019-11-7_22-28-18.png
    The composite type is 1D Axis and it has its min and max.

I named a float variable call
    horizontalInput
    and used
    ReadValue<float>()
    to get value.
    inputControler.Core.Movement.performed += ctx => horizontalInput = ctx.ReadValue<float>();

Then I logged the value of horizontalInput and this is what console showed:
    upload_2019-11-7_22-35-4.png

You can see there is no other middle float values(like 0.256, 0.488, 0.892 whatever) between min and max.

So the problem here in brief description:
    How can I use the new InputSystem to achieve what old
    Input.GetAxis(string)
    can do?

Did I miss some settings or toggles that can achieve this?
    I wonder if anyone met the same issue as me. If this was a noob question and already got a solution, could you share a link with me?

Thank you very much!

2. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

This is a shortcoming in AxisComposite that's annoyed me, too. It's on the list to add a toggle for this. Maybe I should just slide this into 1.0. The default really should have been to let the original values through.

Vector2Composite has a similar problem and the plan is to add a toggle there, too.

ATM, with what's there as of 1.0.0-preview.2, the only solution is to essentially add a custom version of AxisComposite that does this.

3. LAndyPommel

LAndyPommel

It's okay. Looks like I gotta spend more time on figuring out how to customize and achieve this.
    Thanks for the answer!