Search Unity

An existing connection was forcibly closed ...

Discussion in 'Unity Version Control' started by konzeptzwei, Dec 17, 2021.

1. konzeptzwei

konzeptzwei

Hey there,
    i have just created a Project in order to test the new Plastic SCM Integration. I have now two PCs one with the original project and another one with the cloned project. I realized that the clone project only contained fragments of the original project. Apparently I did not commit everthing from the original one.

So I went back and tried to commit everything but unfortunately the process stops after a while with that error: "An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host".

Any hints what could have gone wrong? I am using Unity3D 2020.3.24.

2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @konzeptzwei, I'm sorry you were running into issues. Could you also tell me which version of the Version Control package you were using? Does the error still occur when you try to commit your changes?

3. hawam

hawam

i too have the same issue
    unity 2021.1.7f1
    VC 1.15.4 and updated it to 1.15.7 still the same problem

the project size is 70 MB and my upload speed is 3 mbps

update : i had to chickin multiple times with small count of files until it uploaded completely, had issue with particular file that was 20 MB until it finally uploaded

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  4. brittany

brittany

I'm also having this problem. I just started using Plastic SCM and I'm trying to make my first Checkin. After a few megabytes are uploaded it stops each time I try and says "An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host". This is with Unity Version Control version 1.15.7 and Unity 2022.1.0b3.2528

5. IllTemperedTunas

IllTemperedTunas

Had the same issue, felt like I had to "gain the trust" of the servers before I could reliably make pushes with smaller commits. You can't currently sort by size in Unity, but if you use the plastic client you can
    upload_2022-1-13_21-30-27.png

If you shift select after sorting by smaller files you can click the box on the left and have a "chunk" of your files ready to commit and select about 1 megabyte at a time choosing small files, over time you can hopefully start uploading more files.

This worked for me anyhow.

brittany likes this.
  6. konzeptzwei

konzeptzwei

maybe i had the same "problem" as now it also works for me. didn't really make a good first impression though ;)

Cubixrube likes this.
  7. brittany

brittany

Thank you, I will try it. And isn't that very bizarre! I switched to Collaborate and it uploaded that way ok.

8. SeanBannister

SeanBannister

Also experiencing this issue. But with 4gb to upload uploading in small parts isn't an option.

Update: I switched to using the Plastic SCM client for the initial commit rather than the Unity plugin and it worked. If your new to this (like me) I think you might already have the Plastic SCM client installed, search for it in windows/ios and your repo should already be there ready to go, click on "Pending changes" in the left hand menu and from here you can checkin the code.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  9. AhSai

AhSai

I am also having the same issue. After migrating to Plastic SCM I keep getting the "An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host" error that prevents me from uploading any files that is larger than around 2MB.
    I tried the above methods and opened up Plastic SCM client to try to upload it from there, but same thing happened.
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_3.jpg

as you can see the upload stops at around 2 MB everytime, and eventually this will pop up

Screenshot_2.jpg

Can someone help with this issue?

10. TheHitchHiker

TheHitchHiker

Seeing a similar issue on our end, happens even when trying to set up the repository. Very frustrating. upload_2022-2-12_15-41-0.png

11. SamohtVII

SamohtVII

Hi All,

I think this worked for me.
    Got to you plasticscm Dashboard select "Cloud", choose 'configure' > 'Network allow list' and in your network allow list add your IP and hit 'Save'. (Search 'My IP' in google)
    Worked after I did this

https://www.plasticscm.com/dashboard/cloud/NAME/network-allow-list

I also installed the Workspace Explorer so that may have fixed it. Either or...

salamlex147 likes this.
  12. kymbo

kymbo

I was having the same issue but resolved it by changing a few of the upload settings in the client.conf file.

See https://plasticscmsupport.zendesk.c...threads-for-the-Update-and-Checkin-operations

I added the following lines to my client.conf file and now it's working.

<UploadReadPoolSize>1</UploadReadPoolSize>
    <Upload_SendDataThreadCount>1</Upload_SendDataThreadCount>

I'm going to tweak these settings to find the best performance that doesn't trigger the "existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host" message.

Cheers, Kym.

Neohun and Patrick_Machado_ like this.
  13. AhSai

AhSai

Switching to a faster network seems to solve the issue. My upload speed was 0.1Mbps before and I kept getting disconnected, but after I increased it to 1.0Mbps I could finally upload the whole project at once.

14. berkeerem

berkeerem

This worked for me as well. I'm using Unity 2020.3.27 and there seems to be a miscommunication between the client app and the Unity plugin.

15. NullGames

NullGames

At first, plastic scm for some unknown reason did not add some of my assets to source control, so i had to add them manually. Then i tried to push them, and get this exact error. Then, i tried to use plastic scm app, however it said "cannot connect to plastic scm servers" (retry did not help, of course). I have 2 laptops, on the second one in the exact same time and in the exact same network with the same Unity version these schroedinger servers do work, however. I really do think that google drive would be a more convenient source-control; every single time i have to use plastic, i feel pain.

Edit:
    The second laptop managed to push all the needed files with no problems

Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
  16. Patrick_Machado_

Patrick_Machado_

This limitation tot he bandwith worked but now its publishing things very slow but it works. DOes anyone know a better solution other than sacrificing its speed to pull/push

Another thing that worked for our team is to pull/push (checking) through Plastic SCM GUI directly instead on in game plugin, so if anyone is struggling with it this can be a temporary solution maybe for those big files commits.

17. sachin_korde

sachin_korde

I tried some steps here
    1. Open Plastic SCM desktop app
    2. Go to your Workspace Explorer
    3. Right-click on the main path
    4. Select Path Permission
    5. Next Select Developers
    6. Tick chgowner
    7. Tick chgperm

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
  18. Noha_Morte

Noha_Morte

Likewise faced a "an existing connection was forcibly closed" error with an upload speed of 1mbps for an overall changed file size of ~500MB and likewise, using the standalone application instead of the Unity plugin to check in the changes worked for me.
    I don't know the reasons for this issue, nor why this workaround worked, but offering this as info in case it's useful to smn.

19. Quiet-Pixel

Quiet-Pixel

Same issue in Unity 2021.3.0f1. Have a project with a bunch of video files. Can check in only about 2 at a time, otherwise the connection drops.

Using Plastic SCM for the desktop is not a quick fix for me, as for some reason, when it opened there was not a "Workspace" for the project. After creating one, it does not show any pending changes. No doubt some config issue getting the desktop version to see the Unity project. It is easier to just check in 2 videos at a time and keep retrying when those fail.

I love that what was a 1 check-in 10-minute task in Collaborate now requires 3 hours of baby sitting and 18 changesets in Plastic SCM.

Last edited: May 13, 2022
  20. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Hi Quiet-Pixel,

Can you attach the output of the following command to review the network speed?
    cm iostats YourOrganization@cloud --nettotalmb=128

Can you attach the Plastic client logs?
    C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\plastic4\logs

21. Quiet-Pixel

Quiet-Pixel

Hi CarlosAlba1985,

The CM command returns the following:

Upload speed = 36.82 Mbps. Time uploading 128MB = 27812ms. Server: xxxxxxx@cloud
    Download speed = 24.18 Mbps. Time downloading 128MB = 42344ms. Server: xxxxxxxx@cloud

Performing disk speed test on path: C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Local\Temp\PlasticSCM_IOStats. Please wait...
    Disk write speed = 212.80133000831253 MB/s. Time writing 512MB = 2406 ms.
    Disk read speed = 5446.808510638298 MB/s. Time reading 512MB = 94 ms.

The log files contain information that could be a security issue to post publicly here, such as certificate hashes. I would be willing to send them to you directly if necessary.

It is important to point out that network speed should not be a consideration for whether your Plastic SCM integration works or not. You cannot force us to have a minimum network speed. I work in a remote area and most days have to rely on cell phone connectivity for internet access. (Note; the speeds listed above are using an open WiFi access point near where I live, not cell phone).

Your software needs to be able to handle slow network speeds and not time out, and better yet, support interrupted uploads that restart from where they are. This was a frustrating issue with Collaborate, and is a constant issue when downloading new versions of Unity via the Hub. I get to 99% download of a new version and it fails, and then have to start over again

22. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Hi,

We will need to check the client logs if there is an issue with the checkin. I was guessing it was some network-related issue that could explain the problem (that's why I was asking for the output of this command) but it's just a guess.
    You can reach us at support@plasticscm.com and share the logs with us to review them?

Regards,
    Carlos.

23. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Has everyone tried putting this to plastic's client.conf?

It reliably eliminates or minimizes the issue for me.

24. jivan_5

jivan_5

where can I find the client.conf file?

25. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

C:\Users\your_user\AppData\Local\plastic

Or just download “Everything” and search for client.conf :)

26. yengNami

yengNami

This worked for me.:)

27. radiantboy

radiantboy

trying this now, same error, how to fix this? why cant any version control seem to ever work in unity :) been trying on and off for over a decade, would love one to just work.

Nothing at all in the log, i see the ui say "cancelling check in operation" usually after about 3 mins of uploading. My upload is about 5mbps

28. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
  29. radiantboy

radiantboy

thanks, but it knocked me offline and now wont even connect. Weird thing is the workspace path was to an old project so I adjusted that, maybe i shouldnt have.,

I tried to start again now it always says "the remote host closed the socket" - think im going to have to give up and keep going with dropbox and zips.

30. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Are you using the client or the Unity package?

31. radiantboy

radiantboy

Tried both, right now im trying again in unity but it just acts like im not online or something.

Same with standalone one wont even let me create a repos, after a long time saying "validating data" itt says in red the remote host closed the socket.

32. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I've had that happen, but it was on days where they actually had a bit of service interruption (and it didn't last long), not sure if that's what's going on. It seems to work fine for me currently, but we could be at different servers.

33. radiantboy

radiantboy

Cheers, maybe I will try again tomorrow, im trying to use the Taiwan server because thats where i am. My actual internet went off and I had to reboot my modems, im guessing it cannot be related to plastic lol. Oh I dream of a day when I have version control on unity :)

PS. thanks for the help :)

AcidArrow likes this.
  34. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Hi @radiantboy, do you have installed the latest Version Control package? What is your current version?

If you attach the client logs, we can check if it's a network related issue:
    C/Users/xxx/AppData/Local/plastic4/logs

radiantboy likes this.
  35. Unknown-Boss

Unknown-Boss

Hi, I usually do VRchat. Avatar is on unity and I have been trying out this thing called VRchat companion, now the reason why I'm including this in this reply is because this has been a problem for me as well. When I try to upload an avatar that I just finished downloading and uploading to use, I also get this message. Now this never happened when I use the original, But it could be because I used the cord from my roster to my PC and that's why it's better to upload avatar's that way.

But due to my moving situation I have used my phone to connect by USB to my computer to upload, But it seems like anything from one gigabyte to 1.5 gigabytes is too big. And I only have been able to upload things that was at least around 58,000 kB

36. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Hi @Unknown-Boss,do you have installed the latest Version Control package? What is your current version?

If you attach the client logs, we can check if it's a network related issue:
    C/Users/xxx/AppData/Local/plastic4/logs