Search Unity

"An existing checkout operation has locked the workspace." Constantly happens.

Discussion in 'Unity Version Control' started by Invertex, Apr 15, 2022.

1. NO-Productions

NO-Productions

Ahoy Forums! First post here, be gentle ;)

So it appears I've hit this issue too...
    I'm getting the dreaded "An existing checkout operation has locked the workspace" error...

Version Control package 1.17.7
    (First hit the issue on 1.17.2, then upgraded to 1.17.7 as part of trying to find a solution...)

Used to be able to work with my project just fine, now all of the sudden can't check in. What did I change?
    - Some NavMesh work
    - Replaced existing prefab with updated object from the scene
    - Added some more instances of the updated prefab to the scene

I don't see any .lck file anywhere, the only files in .plastic are: plastic.changes, plastic.selector, plastic.wktree and plastic.workspace.

The biggest problem is that I don't have any workaround... :( The refresh button (posted above) doesn't help and even restarting everything (Unity + VS) doesn't help. I'm effectively blocked from uploading changes. Any ideas how to get going again would be greatly appreciated.

2. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

You should be able to always checkin your changes via the Plastic Cloud edition standalone client (www.plasticscm.com --> Downloads). Does it help?

3. Sotocodes

Sotocodes

@Ryan-Unity @carlosalba1985 I am struggling with a similar issue as well. I am using Plastic SCM directly within Unity with a remote buddy of mine. The in-Unity UI shows no incoming changes, but I have pending changes to check in, when I try to check in I get the error and then nothing else happens. It was working just fine but now I seem to be stuck here.
    upload_2023-2-4_15-57-17.png

I am also attaching log files that I think might be useful in this scenario. Please let me know if you have any ideas.

-------
    Update: I downloaded the Plastic SCM Client, and it seems to have done the job, I guess this is an ok solution, but frustrating that I couldn't get it to work directly within Unity.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  4. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

HI @Sotocodes what is your Plastic SCM version and Version Control package version?

5. deab

deab

Same error 'existing checkout operation has locked the workspace' error here. Unity 2021.3.18, Version Control package 2.0.0. Plastic client 11.0.16.7726.

Really annoying! Get this on multiple days. Can check in fine but doesn't always resolve the problem.

Attached Files:

6. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Hi @deab / @Sotocodes,

We were able to reproduce a similar error with the last Unity plugin version under the following circumstances:
    - If you edit a scene and then save the changes, the checkout is automatically done.
    - If you edit the same scene without saving the changes, and then try to checkin, the error message appears because the checkout is now happening at the same time as the checkin.

When you perform the checkin and the issue appears, some of your pending to commit changes are not saved? Do they have the * in the editor tab?

Not sure if you can record a short video or screenshots to check the status of the files in the pending change view (if possible, both in the Plastic GUI and the Unity plugin).

Regards,
    Carlos.

7. deab

deab

@carlosalba1985 the issue appears after making changes, not after a check-in. A check-in normally resolves it.

Here's the Unity and Plastic pending changes. I then checked in everything except the ProjectSettings asset, and after this could run the project as normal. Hope that helps!

2023-02-20_11h31_23.png 2023-02-20_11h31_50.png

8. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

But what are the steps to reproduce it? After making changes, Are you saving the changes? Or what is the process that triggers the error? Can you attach a short video?

Thanks,
    Carlos.

9. deab

deab

I just discovered that ScriptableObject seems to cause/fix the issue. I had a large change set with the issue, I committed just a ScriptableObject change, and the issue was resolved. Editing a string field in an SO again caused the issue, and undoing the change fixed it.

10. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

I don't fully understand the reproduction steps. Is the issue linked to some changes in some specific files? We are trying to find a reproducible way for the problem in our labs with no luck for now.

11. deab

deab

12. KevinHorgan

KevinHorgan

I was getting this issue every time I tried to check in my work from Unity with the Plastic SCM plugin. In my case the solution seems to be as follows.

I am using JetBrains Rider as my IDE for c# code.

Each time I make a change there is a file called ".idea/.idea.<project name>/.idea/workspace.xml being modified.

If I try to check in all my changes including above XML file it fails.

If I deselect the above xml file for check in, I can then check in all my other files without issue. I can then check this file in if I wish as a single file checkin.

13. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Hi @deab, sorry for the delay. We watched your video. Checking your logs, The error seems to be happening when calculating the pending changes when the is an ongoing checkout operation already running. If you upgrade the latest plugin version: 2.0.1, can you confirm if the issue is still happening? This version includes a fix about how the Plastic workspace is locked.

Hi @KevinHorgan, if this is happening for .idea/.idea.<project name>/.idea/workspace.xml.
    When the error happens, is the file already checked-out?
    Also, this file path seems to include user settings. Are you sure that this file should be committed to the repo (under version control)? https://intellij-support.jetbrains....manage-projects-under-Version-Control-Systems

14. Themes_Daly

Themes_Daly

I found a solution to the problem.

I had the same problem that I couldn't commit anything to the repository, and after every update of the prefab or scene, this error popped up.

It turned out that the Curve World asset was overwriting some materials, and they were updated every time they tried to create a commit.

After adding the folder with these materials to the ignore list, everything started working fine.

I believe that the problem is that when you create a commit, you have an instruction somewhere in the project that is updated / overwritten when a commit is created.

Verne33 likes this.
  15. TeramonGame

TeramonGame

Same error in 2023...

16. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Hi @TeramonGame, what is your Unity Version and Version Control package error? We need to be sure you are using the latest version.

Regards,
    Carlos.

17. kristof2000

kristof2000

hi i wanted to reply on people who cant solve it like i do you do these steps to make working in a team possible (and understand this is not a good method) but this at least works.

you either if you want the other programmers or artist changes dont "undo" or else "check-in". At least you can work then. I also didnt use to have this issue but with random materials it happens now.

Attached Files:

18. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

HI @kristof2000, what is your Unity version and your Version Control package version?

Most of these issues were fixed with the latest Version Control package version. Can you consistently reproduce the issue? Or is it happening from time to time?

Regards,
    Carlos.

19. WBonX

WBonX

Come on... 2 years later still getting the same error.

Tried logging in and out and restarting the servicce.

2023-06-12 12:52:57,997 LAPTOP-6TSRHE73\walter INFO AuthTokenCache - Reloaded tokens from C:\Users\walter\AppData\Local\plastic4\tokens.conf. Before: 0. Now: 1
    2023-06-12 12:52:58,061 LAPTOP-6TSRHE73\walter ERROR LocalizationTranslator - Unable to add localization key: 'UserNotFoundSignUp': Requested value 'UserNotFoundSignUp' was not found.
    2023-06-12 12:52:58,065 LAPTOP-6TSRHE73\walter ERROR LocalizationTranslator - Unable to add localization key: 'VisitUnityDashboardToSignUp': Requested value 'VisitUnityDashboardToSignUp' was not found.
    2023-06-12 12:52:58,197 LAPTOP-6TSRHE73\walter ERROR LocalizationTranslator - Unable to add localization key: 'ErrorSyncNoAuthorPermission': Requested value 'ErrorSyncNoAuthorPermission' was not found.
    2023-06-12 12:52:58,981 LAPTOP-6TSRHE73\walter ERROR Os version - Couldn't get OS info from System.Management: The method or operation is not implemented.
    2023-06-12 12:53:00,382 LAPTOP-6TSRHE73\walter WARN NewIncomingChangesUpdater - NewIncomingChangesUpdater returning because there is already another running incoming changes operation
    2023-06-12 12:53:00,383 LAPTOP-6TSRHE73\walter WARN NewIncomingChangesUpdater - NewIncomingChangesUpdater returning because there is already another running incoming changes operation
    2023-06-12 12:53:00,383 LAPTOP-6TSRHE73\walter WARN NewIncomingChangesUpdater - NewIncomingChangesUpdater returning because there is already another running incoming changes operation
    2023-06-12 12:53:00,391 LAPTOP-6TSRHE73\walter ERROR Os version - Couldn't get OS info from System.Management: The method or operation is not implemented.
    2023-06-12 12:53:00,536 LAPTOP-6TSRHE73\walter ERROR LocalizationTranslator - Unable to add localization key: 'ListLocksByRepNotSupported': Requested value 'ListLocksByRepNotSupported' was not found.
    2023-06-12 12:53:00,536 LAPTOP-6TSRHE73\walter ERROR LocalizationTranslator - Unable to add localization key: 'PurgeCanOnlyBeExecutedByItsOwner': Requested value 'PurgeCanOnlyBeExecutedByItsOwner' was not found.
    2023-06-12 12:53:00,582 LAPTOP-6TSRHE73\walter INFO GetStatus - Time to retrieve the pending changes: 125 ms (searching: 109 ms, processingmoved: 16 (downloading: 0 ms, matching: 16 ms), splitting: 0 ms)

Last stable unity 2022.2, last version of the version control package. Win 10.

You should really addresss this asap.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2023
  20. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Hi @WBonX, what is the specific Version Control package version you are using?

21. WBonX

WBonX

Version Control package: 2.0.5 ... but I also tried the 2.0.1 getting the same error.

Unity version: 2022.2.14

22. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Hi, @WBonX, can you open a ticket at devops-vcs-support@unity.com? We are not able to reproduce with the latest plugin version (most of the customer reports were already fixed). We would like to get some more details of your project to debug and understand the current problem.

23. WBonX

WBonX

What details do you need? No I got no time to open a bug report... just report this to the devs.
    Every discussion here ends with you asking us to report a bug .. while we actually pay for a product that is supposed to work. Sorry for the distress but it happens all the time. It is not related to my project.

24. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

We would need some steps to reproduce the problem or some temporary access to a project where you can reproduce this issue. I'm afraid after upgrading to the latest version of the Version Control package, we cannot reproduce this error anymore in our labs.

25. WBonX

WBonX

same problem was present in the previous version ... I upgraded to the new one but the problem was still there. I don't see how this could be related to my project.

Had the same issue multiple times with 4-5 different versions of Unity in the last 2 years, work around is to create a new workspace, but things should work better I guess.

One hint could be that I disable and reenable Version control, maybe that's causing the problem.

26. quitebuttery

quitebuttery

This is a constant problem. I get this with every push on every machine. It has been going on for a year+. Most of the time it just goes away after a second push...but lately it hasn't. I've upgraded to LTS 2022 and plastic is at the latest version. Nothing works.

27. quitebuttery

quitebuttery

Basically the only solution is to stop using the SCM window inside the editor and just do checkins with the client app.

28. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

@quitebuttery are you also using the Version Control package 2.0.5, right?

29. WBonX

WBonX

Just installed Unity Lts 2022.3.1f1 ... applying local changes lock problem is still there.

30. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

The Unity version is not very relevant but the version Control package version: the latest version is 2.0.5

We are planning a task for the next sprint to debug and try to reproduce this issue. Most of the customers who reported it are not facing it anymore but it seems clear that is happening under some circumstances. If you have some guess/reproduction steps (or even some project that you could temporarily invite us to reproduce), it would be appreciated.

GDevTeam likes this.
  31. WBonX

WBonX

The only guess I have is that this could be related to disabling and reenabling versioning.
    Something else I do is also updating pretty often, thus migrating the project from an install to the other the usual way.

Also sometime I do a checking with a less then optimal mobile connection, I can remember this timing out a few time in the past during the checking but not recently.

I don't have a project other then this (15gb) that can be used to test / reproduce the issue.

32. quitebuttery

quitebuttery

Yeah I upgraded to the latest version control package and that seems to be what finally broke it totally. I can’t push anything anymore.

33. quitebuttery

quitebuttery

BTW if you want I can add someone from Unity to my project so they can try a push to debug.

34. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Hi @quitebuttery, I reached you in private sharing the Unity emails to be invited to the repo.

35. Ziplock9000

Ziplock9000

I'm having this exact same bug consistently with 2023.1.bxx to 2023.1.5f1 every time I check in.

I have large pauses in time between check-ins.

36. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

What is your Version Control plugin version?

We are about to release a fix that should help to avoid this error. Sorry for the inconvenience.

37. Ziplock9000

Ziplock9000

Luckily the inconvenience is very mild, just trying again always works.

38. SRombautsU

SRombautsU

Unity Technologies

Hey there, I am happy to report that a new version 2.0.7 of the Unity Plugin has been released yesterday, with a fix that should cover this specific issue. At least it does fix the scenario that we have been able to reproduce.
    Cheers!
    Sébastien

39. BernieRoehl

BernieRoehl

Here it is, nearly a year later, and I'm getting the same error.

40. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

41. WBonX

WBonX

@carlosalba1985 could you please let us know if the package is now public and solves the problem?

42. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

The fix should be included in the Version Control package version 2.2.0.

43. WilbertBlom

WilbertBlom

I'm still having this problem with Unity 2022.3.4 and Version control 2.0.7

44. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Can you upgrade the Version Control package to version 2.2.0?
    We haven't been reported this error since a very long time ago. It should be fixed in the latest Version Control package version.

45. WilbertBlom

WilbertBlom

It seems like I can't upgrade ?
    upload_2024-3-18_17-6-14.png

Unity thinks it's the latest version

46. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

You should be able to install a more recent version if you search for the package name (com.unity.collab-proxy) in the Package Manager:

Attached Files:

47. WilbertBlom

WilbertBlom

Yes, this works (and the error seems to be gone)
    Why does updating needs to be done with 'adding by name" ?

48. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

I think it's because your current Unity version doesn't have official support for the last plugin version. But even with that, it should be working.