Search Unity

"An existing checkout operation has locked the workspace." Constantly happens.

Discussion in 'Unity Version Control' started by Invertex, Apr 15, 2022.

1. Invertex

Invertex

Nearly everything I do in my project now, PlasticSCM will pop up an error telling me "An existing checkout operation has locked the workspace. Please wait for the checkout operation to finish.".
    Even after all changes are pushed, I'll go to edit an asset and be confronted with this message. Often the changes will still happen, despite the message.
    I tried importing an Asset from the store through the package manager, error happened again, despite the assets mostly seemingly being imported...

It's seriously hampering my ability to do any work and I'm not sure how to solve it.
    I tried creating a branch to work on instead. I tried deleting my project and downloading it from the cloud fresh, still happens... I seems like something is bugged in my repo somehow from the Collaborate transition, as it was a bit of a messy time getting it switched over.

I do recall seeing an error message when I redownloaded the project that was something along the lines of version control saying it
    failed to delete asset "" which does not exist
    which maybe is throwing a wrench in the system?

I'm on 2021.2.19f1 with version control 1.15.16 on Windows 10.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Invertex, I'm sorry you've been dealing with this error popping up. Usually, this message appears when trying to do an operation while a checkin is in progress for that workspace. During a checkin, the workspace is locked, with a ".lck" file added in the metadata folder ".plastic" located at the root of your project. Can you check if there's a file there that hasn't been cleared?

3. Invertex

Invertex

Hi Ryan, thanks for the reply.
    There does not appear to be, all I see is .selector, .wktree and .workspace.

stfunity likes this.
  4. DrewofDonuts

DrewofDonuts

I'm having this same issue, and happening multiple times a session, and requiring to kill the application.

Also no .ick file in the plastic directory.

5. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Very odd. Could both of you please perform an operation again that triggers this error message and then send me the contents of your logs folder so that the Support Team can review them? You can find your logs in the
    plastic4 directory (under $HOME/.plastic4 on Linux/Mac systems or C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\plastic4 on Windows).

6. jvetulani

jvetulani

I am also having that issue on Linux. Among a host of other plastic related problems.

7. VioletMaitland

VioletMaitland

I'm having a similar issue while upgrading from built-in rendering to URP. Log below. It almost looks like it's taking too long to connect and then when it does, it gets confused by the state of things. This is with Unity 2022.1.0b16.3019, in case it matters. (Please note that I have done a search-and-replace on the project name for obfuscation. The actual project name is an alphanumeric string with no special characters or spaces.)

(Apologies for the long comment - it wouldn't let me attach the log file itself after I edited it, so I've cut it down to what I'm hoping is the relevant bits.)

2022-04-26 11:58:13,716 DESKTOP-BKAULMF\andro ERROR PlasticPipe - Exception obtaining connection to VioletCrown@cloud. Failed to connect to useast4-00-cloud.plasticscm.com:8787 within the 3016 ms timeout. To increase the timeout, set SocketConnectTimeoutMillisec in client.conf. If the timeout happens during push/pull, configure server.conf.
    2022-04-26 11:58:13,718 DESKTOP-BKAULMF\andro INFO InvokeMethodRetry - VioletCrown@cloud.GetTriggerList waiting 2000 ms before retrying the connection
    2022-04-26 11:58:13,719 DESKTOP-BKAULMF\andro INFO InvokeMethodRetry - VioletCrown@cloud.GetTriggerList waiting 2000 ms before retrying the connection
    2022-04-26 11:58:13,719 DESKTOP-BKAULMF\andro INFO InvokeMethodRetry - VioletCrown@cloud.GetTriggerList waiting 2000 ms before retrying the connection
    2022-04-26 11:58:13,720 DESKTOP-BKAULMF\andro INFO InvokeMethodRetry - VioletCrown@cloud.GetTriggerList waiting 2000 ms before retrying the connection
    2022-04-26 11:58:13,720 DESKTOP-BKAULMF\andro INFO InvokeMethodRetry - VioletCrown@cloud.GetTriggerList waiting 2000 ms before retrying the connection
    2022-04-26 11:58:13,721 DESKTOP-BKAULMF\andro INFO InvokeMethodRetry - VioletCrown@cloud.GetTriggerList waiting 2000 ms before retrying the connection
    2022-04-26 11:58:13,721 DESKTOP-BKAULMF\andro INFO InvokeMethodRetry - VioletCrown@cloud.GetTriggerList waiting 2000 ms before retrying the connection
    2022-04-26 11:58:13,722 DESKTOP-BKAULMF\andro INFO InvokeMethodRetry - VioletCrown@cloud.GetTriggerList waiting 2000 ms before retrying the connection
    2022-04-26 11:58:14,258 DESKTOP-BKAULMF\andro ERROR PlasticPipe - Exception obtaining connection to VioletCrown@cloud. One or more errors occurred. (Unable to write data to the transport connection: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.
    .)
    2022-04-26 11:58:14,265 DESKTOP-BKAULMF\andro ERROR PlasticThread - Error when performing background operation: One or more errors occurred. (Unable to write data to the transport connection: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.
    .)
    2022-04-26 11:58:14,266 DESKTOP-BKAULMF\andro ERROR PlasticThread - Inner exception: Unable to write data to the transport connection: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.
    2022-04-26 11:58:14,505 DESKTOP-BKAULMF\andro INFO InvokeMethodRetry - VioletCrown@cloud.GetTriggerList success after 1 retries
    2022-04-26 11:58:14,619 DESKTOP-BKAULMF\andro ERROR ExceptionHandler - [LockStatusCache] Unexpected error: Unable to write data to the transport connection: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.
    2022-04-26 11:58:14,658 DESKTOP-BKAULMF\andro WARN filters - PathValueMatcher: Error parsing line: # Plastic SCM extensions file. Syntax: <expression>:<type>.
    2022-04-26 11:58:14,658 DESKTOP-BKAULMF\andro WARN filters - PathValueMatcher: Error parsing line: # Valid expressions are: '.cpp', 'myfile.cpp' ... (Metacharacters are allowed: '*', '?')
    2022-04-26 11:58:14,659 DESKTOP-BKAULMF\andro WARN filters - PathValueMatcher: Error parsing line: # Examples:
    2022-04-26 11:58:14,659 DESKTOP-BKAULMF\andro WARN filters - PathValueMatcher: Error parsing line:
    2022-04-26 11:58:14,675 DESKTOP-BKAULMF\andro INFO pendingchanges - Time to retrieve the pending changes: 15 ms (searching: 15 ms, processingmoved: 0 (downloading: 0 ms, matching: 0 ms), splitting: 0 ms)
    2022-04-26 11:58:14,675 DESKTOP-BKAULMF\andro ERROR PlasticThread - Error when performing background operation: An existing checkout operation has locked the workspace '<ProjectCodeName>_unity'. Please wait for the checkout operation to finish.
    2022-04-26 11:58:14,735 DESKTOP-BKAULMF\andro INFO InvokeMethodRetry - VioletCrown@cloud.GetTriggerList success after 1 retries
    2022-04-26 11:58:14,782 DESKTOP-BKAULMF\andro WARN Images - Image not found: iconchanged.png
    2022-04-26 11:58:14,787 DESKTOP-BKAULMF\andro WARN Images - Image not found: iconchanged.png
    2022-04-26 11:58:14,915 DESKTOP-BKAULMF\andro INFO InvokeMethodRetry - VioletCrown@cloud.GetTriggerList success after 1 retries
    2022-04-26 11:58:14,926 DESKTOP-BKAULMF\andro ERROR PlasticThread - Error when performing background operation: An existing checkout operation has locked the workspace '<ProjectCodeName>_unity'. Please wait for the checkout operation to finish.

Attached Files:

8. Jaden_01

Jaden_01

9. lm_dev

lm_dev

Same issue here, happens each time I save my project, really annoying to work with that popping constantly.

10. silentslack

silentslack

Having this issue repeatedly and really interrupting my workflow. I was fine using the dedicated Plastic GUI alongside Unity but now it seems if I try to disable the unity plastic system it completely removes the workspace so I can't use the Plastic GUI. So it seems I'm kinda forced to use the Unity Plastic GUI?

GDevTeam likes this.
  11. mrCharli3

mrCharli3

Same for me, gets prompted like 50 times when downloading an asset... Im on 2021.3.0 LTS.
    There is no lock file.

Makes it so asset doesnt work since it seem to block some files but not others. What a mess...

12. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi everyone, I'm sorry for the delayed response. I spent some time investigating this issue over the previous week and found one way of reproducing it. I'd like to confirm if any of you have modified the lock rules for your cloud orgs, the rules that prevent other users from checking out an asset if it's already checked out and matches one of the lock rules. Have any of you touched the lock rules, or not at all?

Also @silentslack, you should still be able to use the external Plastic GUI with your workspace after you remove the Version Control package from your project by uninstalling it in the Package Manager window. If you use the Turn Off Plastic SCM option in the Cog menu of the Plastic SCM window then this will delete your .plastic folder and your workspace settings, which I wouldn't recommend using unless you no longer wish to keep using Plastic SCM.

13. Invertex

Invertex

I never touched those rules, didn't even know they existed. The only thing I did online was try the "manual migration" page that they sent an email about.
    Though I vaguely remember Collaborate saying something about the project becoming archived or locked maybe when trying to do the migration, but I can't fully confirm that at this point.
    I tried looking for the lock settings you speak of in the dashboard.unity3d.com, but can't seem to find it? I tried going to the main organization page with all the Teams related stuff too and couldn't find anything related to PlasticSCM settings.

On the Dashboard, if I go to Explore Services>Plastic SCM, it's shows a big "Sign up for Free" though, which seems odd since I'm paying for Teams currently, don't know if that's indicative of an issue.

Edit: Ah, you have to go to the PlasticSCM site to see these rules... that's a bit confusing, the Dashboard should at the very least clearly direct you towards that.
    When I go to the Lock Rules page there, I do not see any lock rules set up.

stfunity likes this.
  14. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

You're right that we have work to make the Unity Dashboard for Plastic SCM clearer and that is a top priority for the Web Team. Thank you for confirming that you weren't using custom lock rules that were the cause of the issue you are seeing.

I have a theory that perhaps long ping times from the Plastic SCM datacenter that cloud workspaces are hosted on could be related to the frequency of this error popping up. I've asked the team if there's an easy way to find that out. In the meantime, could everyone provide the following additional details?
    • State and/or Country
    • Bandwidth speeds, both download and upload speeds (fast.com and similar network speed test sites can provide this)
    • Network type (Wired, Home/Office WiFi, Coffee Shop WiFi)

15. Invertex

Invertex

Canada, BC
    55Mbps Up/Down, 14ms unloaded up/down, 107ms loaded download, 38ms loaded upload.
    Home WiFi

stfunity likes this.
  16. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Thanks, @Invertex! Could you also run the following command and paste the results here?

cm iostats ORGANIZATION_NAME@cloud --nettotalmb=128
    (Replace ORGANIZATION_NAME with your Plastic cloud org name)

17. Invertex

Invertex

Upload speed = 17.14 Mbps. Time uploading 128MB = 59750ms.
    Download speed = 45.77 Mbps. Time downloading 128MB = 22375ms.
    Performing disk speed test on path: Please wait...
    Disk write speed = 512 MB/s. Time writing 512MB = 1000 ms.
    Disk read speed = 6564.102564102564 MB/s. Time reading 512MB = 78 ms.

stfunity likes this.
  18. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

Watching this thread, as I have the same issues. I am working on Linux, in case this is a factor. Let me know if I can provide any further information.

VardenEE likes this.
  19. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

We have a fix for this issue validated and it should be available in the next release (within 1-2 weeks).

20. VardenEE

VardenEE

This is a joke. I constantly get the message from the title AND "failed to connect" dialog that's undismissable. It's blocked me from a full days work today.

How obnoxious is it to create an alert dialog instead of a console message and then make it spam again every frame.

Why the hell is Plastic constantly running operations anyway. "Fetching changes" for four minutes after every change is also obnoxious when I'm not even doing anything with version control..

valentin56610 likes this.
  21. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Can you attach the Plastic client logs?
    C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\plastic4\logs

Can you run the following command on a cmd and share the output?
    cm iostats YourOrganization@cloud --nettotalmb=128

If you are connecting from a slow network, I would recommend you to enable these settings in the "C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\plastic4\client.conf" file. It should prevent the issue to happen again:

Add the following lines to the client.conf (Located here C:/users/user/appdata/local/.plastic4 on windows and User/.plastic4 on Mac):

Code (Boo):
    1. <SocketConnectTimeoutMillisec>150000</SocketConnectTimeoutMillisec>
    2. <UploadReadPoolSize>1</UploadReadPoolSize>
    3. <Upload_SendDataThreadCount>1</Upload_SendDataThreadCount>
    4. <DownloadPoolSize>1</DownloadPoolSize>
    Regards,
    Carlos.

22. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

We just released a fix for an existing checkout locking the workspace in Version Control v1.16.0 (for Unity 2019) and v1.17.0 (for Unity 2020+). Please download it from the Unity Editor's Package Manager and see if that resolves your issue.

_met44 likes this.
  23. _met44

_met44

Will this fix be available to newer unity version soon ? (2021.2.14f1), i'm only seeing version 1.15.18 of the version control package.

24. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @_met44, it should be available now via the Package Manager. v1.17.0 will support that version of 2021.2.

25. fjolne

fjolne

Hi @Ryan-Unity, just wondering whether there is a plan for the fix to be released for Unity 2022.1? I see only 1.15.18 version in the package manager.

26. fjolne

fjolne

27. Speshimen

Speshimen

Hey, I'm using Unity 2019.4.40f1 and my latest version of Version Control seems to be 1.14.18, and I'm also having this issue. I'm trying to fix it by updating but I can't seem to be able to.

28. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Please attach the Plastic client logs so we can debug it.
    C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\plastic4\logs

29. Speshimen

Speshimen

Hey. Here are my logs.

Attached Files:

30. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

I'm afraid I can't find this specific error in the logs. Can you attach a screenshot of the problem? Can you easily reproduce it following some steps?

31. Speshimen

Speshimen

The error appears every time I edit an asset. For instance when editing a prefab with auto-save on, the error happens near constantly.

upload_2022-7-6_23-36-57.png

32. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

I just double checked your package version and the bug is fixed in 1.17.0 version.
    You can update it through the Package Manager.

33. PHLCollective

PHLCollective

Is it possible to disable Plastic integration without uninstalling the package, but still utilize the external Plastic GUI? The reason is because I'm working with a large team, and some members prefer the integration, and others prefer the external GUI, but one user removing the package would get synced across the repo.

34. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Please check the workaround proposed in this link:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/turning-off-plastic-scm-temporarily.1248301/

35. PHLCollective

PHLCollective

Hi, thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, this method would not work for our team, as we have several important packages being used and we must keep everybody's packages and manifests synced at all times. I'm looking for an option to simply disable all calls to the Plastic workspace from within Unity. It's a bit alarming that attempting to do so by turning off Version Control just destroys the entire workspace.

36. ippdev

ippdev

OK. Updated the Version Control package.No dice. I am locked out no matter what. I got forced onto this Plastic SCM. It has not behaved properly since day one. Every time we saved something in the last month or two Platic SCM contacts the server and crashes the app. No I won't send you a build I have too much work to complete and this already puts me behind the 8 ball. I am not doing quality control for Unity and the company I am contracted to as well. They did not hire me for that and I do not get paid for that. I think every one of you should split your paychque and give it to those who lose a days or weeks pay to shoddy integration on your part. Two PC's and a Mac cannot upload, download or work due to this crap and I have been at this a few hours already. I get two main errors. The first when I try to upload and it is locked because something is checked out.. Nope..nowhere. We have rebooted and tried the whole gamut and nada. The second is trying to go back to a changeset and it says i must remove a file from my Assets which DOES NOT EXIST.

stfunity likes this.
  37. ippdev

ippdev

So.. trying to get around the lockout I create a new project and link to my org. Then Plastic SCM acts like I do not have an account. No place where I can link to the project to download it like in Collab. Just nothing..nada..no clues. Then I click away from the Plastic SCM window and go back to click it and it disappears and is now greyed out in the menu. Nothing is happening like it should if software is developed properly. If I want to overwrite a damned change i should be allowed to The repo is mine and not Plastic SCM's. Plastic SCM has no right to dictate what I can do with a file..unless I am forced to use them,. Since I am forced then they should make sure it works for Unity devs and give me the option to override your control freakiness.. Money is hard enough to come by and you have me off the clock bug tracking your crappy software. Sorry for not being polite but this is tiresome from day one and has not saved me any time and has indeed cost me about two weeks of lost time so far.

stfunity likes this.
  38. stfunity

stfunity

This whole "Plastic" "SCM" "Migration" thing has been everything I dread as both a user and now a developer, and it's really superlative at that. I cannot imagine a worse or more obstinate UX experience trying to upload a file than what I've recently encountered with Plastic SCM --

it's utterly bipolar.

I won't hear from it for two weeks about any kind of uploads or diffs or replacements or overrides I'm doing, and then all the sudden last night it takes me 8x as long to upload footnotes in scripts while I'm looking for my intellisense in a project with a bunch of conditional compile directives that only autocomplete on certain workstations I use.

In weeks prior I would have smooth running until I was in playback just after an upload and I guess the handshake for plastic looking to finish up my file indices after checking in is enough to crash unity 33% of the time. Then that was gone for a few days, and now this episode.

I now have to close both Unity and VS2022 in order to allow my other workstation to upload a script once I've "checked anything out", it won't let me merge scripts when my older script is only different by "//" and threatens a big fat hullabaloo about needing to recompile my grandmother's emigration records. It won't let a 2500 file rollback attempt run through because a single index file doesn't exist deep in a directory; Collab didn't act like this, it would have just downloaded the cloud copy from the project repo or rolled past it and restored everything else.

Anyway this is ludicrous it's an all-timer, I'm on hour 4 today of processing the little meddling details of what Plastic took us through this morning and now we have all these splintered project versions we have to clean up thanks to simple auth and handshake errors and unnecessary directory polling at runtime - not to mention poor cooperation with VSCode's typical monitoring of Assembly-CSharp. Plastic seems to tug of war with it and I get no movement out of my reload assemblies progress bar til I either quit VSCode or Start it back up - then plastic starts relisting cached files like I made edits when I didn't. I've watched it.

You have to hit undo changes like 8 times on all selected files to get the list back to truly no changes from last checkin. Marvelous!~

MassimoFrancesco likes this.
  39. ippdev

ippdev

And.. you have done it to me again. I made an entirely new project. I downloaded the repo. I updated incoming changes. I went to upload and it tells me I am locked out again. Will not let me decide what I want to overwrite. Nope..another few hours of mucking about only to have it happen again. This should not be Groundhog Day by my calendar. Jeesh. Get it together folks.

40. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

What is your plugin version? I want to be sure you are using the very last Version Control package version: 1.17.1
    The issue reported in this thread was fixed and we are not aware of any major issue after this upgrade.

If you are still facing this issue (or some other issues according to your last comments), please open a ticket at support@plasticscm.com and we will arrange a meeting with you to review your workflow and issues in detail.

41. kamran-bigdely

kamran-bigdely

I have the same issue ("Cannot checkout files in Version Control: An existing checkout operation has locked the workspace '[MyProject]'. Please wait for the checkout operation to finish." It happens often.
    I've attached the log files.

My environment:
    Unity 2021.3.6f1
    Plastic SCM Package Version 1.15.18 - May 23, 2022​

The full error message:
    Cannot checkout files in Version Control: An existing checkout operation has locked the workspace '....'. Please wait for the checkout operation to finish.
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning (object)
    Unity.PlasticSCM.Editor.AssetUtils.Processor.PlasticAssetsProcessor:LogCheckoutException (System.Exception) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.collab-proxy@1.15.18/Editor/PlasticSCM/AssetsUtils/Processor/PlasticAssetsProcessor.cs:270)
    Unity.PlasticSCM.Editor.AssetUtils.Processor.PlasticAssetsProcessor:CheckoutOnSourceControl (string[]) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.collab-proxy@1.15.18/Editor/PlasticSCM/AssetsUtils/Processor/PlasticAssetsProcessor.cs:130)
    Unity.PlasticSCM.Editor.AssetUtils.Processor.AssetPostprocessor:OnPostprocessAllAssets (string[],string[],string[],string[]) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.collab-proxy@1.15.18/Editor/PlasticSCM/AssetsUtils/Processor/AssetPostprocessor.cs:43)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent (int,intptr,bool&)​

Attached Files:

42. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

This should be fixed in Version Control package 1.17.X

_met44 likes this.
  43. Thygrrr

Thygrrr

I get this problem a lot on the plastic client. And I mean A LOT, and it began only recently.

It happens because the UI is enabled again, showing the old Changeset, while there is a tiny progress bar at the bottom of the window indicating it's actually working.

So devs think "oops my Changeset isn't commited, there is the message you just typed", and click checkin again.

Boom, another operation has locked the workspace popup.

Only happens with realistic game developer Changeset sizes about 20-100 MiB, smaller changesets are done too quickly for this bug to be relevant

44. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

This bug was specific for the Unity plugin and it was already fixed in the last package version.

What you report I think it's different. it seems in your case the workspace was actually locked for a reason but the GUI indicator/progress bar was not visible enough and the developer decided to perform some additional action in the workspace.

We have detected a similar issue in the new Gluon GUI when funding the changes. But I would like to know all the details of your scenario.

45. Thygrrr

Thygrrr

Thanks for clarifying, I appreciate it, Carlos. May I suggest you disable and "grey out" the GUI pieces (i.e. the "checkin" button and the Commit message field) to protect the user from this?

46. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

I think it's a good idea. Can you confirm in this problem only happens with the new Plastic X GUI (but not with the legacy one)?

47. soulvengames

soulvengames

Had the same issue within Unity which was caused by the fact that I have installed Plastic SCM seperately as app which locked the unity plugin to commit. So using the app instead was working for us then.

48. Tion-Gaming

Tion-Gaming

Just ran into a similar issue, kept getting the error saying it was locked, no lock file in the folder, making changed didn't fix it either. For me, what I did was hit the refresh button in the top right corner in the plasticSCM window in unity, after doing that i could push just fine. Such a weird problem.

49. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Can you let us know the Version Control package version you are using to still reproduce this issue?

50. kodra_dev

kodra_dev

I too get this problem all the time with Plastic SCM.

GDevTeam likes this.