Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions. On July 12, the Unity Forums will become read-only. On July 15, Unity Discussions will become read-only until July 18, when the new design and the migrated forum contents will go live. Read our full announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.

Amplify Impostors - Next Generation Billboards

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Amplify_Ricardo, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

It should be automatic
    Do let me know if you have any issues

2. Julio_Ibanez

Julio_Ibanez

Hello, here from a non Amplify world.
    I am stuck with Impostors shaders as my impostors looks white color when baking it, URP 12+.
    Reading the documentation it seems it can only work with URP default shader, (which it looks terrible for my trees).

In my quest for a solution, I came across the AMPLIFY SHADER EDITOR as I though this is like Apple word where only shaders from the same brand are compatible. Hopeful, I invested in it, only to find that these shaders too, rendered white.

Delving even deeper, I stumbled upon a custom shader baker. The complexity of its operation, especially just to bake a simple tree, was overwhelming, leading me to reluctantly abandon the effort. :(

Is that really complex task to bake a tree with at least double side faces? I lost my hoppes with something more advanced like transmission or SSS or whatever so no bother to ask for that, but I am really surprised about the complexity of baking a descent tree (if possible).

3. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

Hello Mac users please find the latest updates. ;)

Amplify Impostors v0.9.9.0

Highlights

* Added auto-importer for SRP compatible shaders
    * Added Start Screen to help with Sample installation
    * Added support for Unity 2023.2 and URP/HDRP 16x

Fixes
    * Fixed crashes on Mac

Lars-Steenhoff and Image3d like this.
  4. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

hello
    yes, your correct it is not so easy for non-amplify editor users to deal with custom bake and runtime shaders

within shaders they have property names such as _MainTex or _BaseColorMap for the textures
    when a custom shader does not use this common name such as _BaseColorMap within the source shader it would return a white color. in such cases you have two options make a custom bake / runtime shader that uses the same properties to match or modify the source shader to use the same common names as unity. in most cases it's not just impostors that needs them to match as Unity GI also requires the same names to work with unity GI lighting.

feel free to reach out to me for help in discord and i be happy to check your specific case or live chat

Last edited: Aug 16, 2023
  5. Julio_Ibanez

Julio_Ibanez

Thanks for your quick reply, so if I understand correctly, in theory I should be able to create my own shaders using shadergraph URP 12, as long as my main textures are _MainTex or _BaseColorMap? that sounds like a solution!

6. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

yes
    if you run into any issue, you can also open the Unity Lit shader to see the property names used for the version of unity your in

Note BIRP / URP / HDRP in unity may have some differences from one pipeline to other so best to check if your changing pipelines.

Main Texture:
    BIRP _MainTex
    URP _BaseMap
    HDRP _BaseColorMap

7. Image3d

Image3d

Thanks for the update....now it is working in Unity 2022.3.4f1 ! Great job !

Amplify_David likes this.
  8. killingflur

killingflur

Hello! I was looking forward to updating the imposters, especially support for the diffusion profile. And now the update is out. I updated the package and... I thought the diffusion profile baking would be fixed, but the rotation of the imposters is broken :( Everything works fine in the test scene with barrels, however, in the scene of my project, all billboards do not rotate (not to mention that diffusion futures with emission and occlusion are black.) I deleted the imposter pack and reimported it. Launched HDRP Shaiders 12s. Baked the new object and it's still the same. Do you have any ideas about this? Thanks!
    impostor_bug.png

9. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

hello, thank you for the report.
    we have received a similar report about rotation and activity looking into now.

10. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

Hi
    can you send me copy of the shader the shader used to bake from
    support@amplify.pt

11. killingflur

killingflur

Thanks for the answer! Do you mean the shader on the original object? It uses the standard hdrp lit. Send you a copy of the standard shader unity hdrp lit?
    impostor_bug.png

12. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

killingflur likes this.
  13. KingLlama

KingLlama

Running into a issue using URP impostors. Baking it from the asset and than it just shows as pink.

Attached Files:

14. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

Hi
    Please verify you're in the most current release impostors.

15. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

New build uploaded in Unity Asset Store.

Amplify Impostors v0.9.9.1
    Amplify Impostors | Utilities Tools | Unity Asset Store

Fixes
    * Fixed impostors editor scripts throwing errors when building player
    * Fixed HDRP impostor rotation issues when far from origin
    * Fixed Motion Vector pass in HDRP Custom Baking sample runtime shader
    * Fixed Motion Vector pass in HDRP impostor ASE template
    * Fixed baked shadow mask artifacts, currently unsupported

Changes
    * Added Motion Vector support to URP 16x

16. rpgshooter14

rpgshooter14

The name 'Preferences' does not exist in the current context
    25 times, newest version using urp 2022.3.4.f1,
    the only things i didnt import where the samples

17. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

sorry your having trouble.
    I am not able to replicate and may need a bit more info

Can you please first say what pipeline you're working in Built-in / URP / HDRP ?
    are you in windows or Mac OS or anything we should know more about to try and help replicate the issue?

18. rpgshooter14

rpgshooter14

I stated what pipeline already but, URP, windows 11.

19. rpgshooter14

rpgshooter14

Aswell as an apology for my incredibly late response. I have been busy.

20. rpgshooter14

rpgshooter14

The editor version is 2022.3.4.f1

21. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

thank you for the info.
    after more testing i still cannot reproduce the error

testing was conducted with:
    --- Amplify Impostors v0.9.9.1
    --- New projects with Unity defaults
    --- build and run test with demo scene Barrels & Boulders

URP unity versions tested
    * 2023.1.0b6

if you happen to have any additional info that will help reproduce the error it would be helpful.

22. rpgshooter14

rpgshooter14

hello, sorry for wasting your time. It seems to have been resolved magicly, for some unknown reason. Thanks for your help anyways :)

Amplify_David likes this.
  23. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks for the fix; just 2 years late.

Now I can't build. Could you please fix this as well within 2 years ? Thank you.

24. Deleted User

Deleted User

Basically missing a lot of #if unity_editor conditionals in the editor part

25. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

hello
    can you reach out to me with more detail.
    if possible i like to chat in discord
    i am not aware yet of any reported build issues as of the latest release and like to help solve them.

26. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

hopeful likes this.
  27. TRavljen

TRavljen

I ran into a random issue.
    Today I was working on my project and suddenly imposters stopped working.

I have not really touched any of the settings of the project, I was just testing the scene and adding occlusion and updated NavMesh.
    I even made git commits after and stuff was working and on one play it just stopped.

In editor I still see imposters as expected, but in the play mode or compiled exe I dont see imposters. I did some more testing in Editor and noticed them popping up in all the wrong place in a formation. Perhaps its something that another person already experienced.
    I have reset my changes with git to latest working version which is confirmed on other devices to be working.
    I have restarted the computer to avoid any weird hardware issues, would not be the first time.
    I have also updated the asset just in case.
    But this issue is still persistent and I need to fix it..

Expected imposters
    expected imposters.png

Actual imposters rendering, seen from Editor (editor obviously does not work when in Play mode)
    imposters in line marked.png

28. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

Hello
    we would need a bit more info
    if it can be reproduced yes, please share in private thru email or discord.

also please include info for what unity version and pipeline

29. runevision

runevision

Hi! The tool looks very interesting!

I have some questions about whether these features are supported:

Does it support runtime generation?
    In July 25, 2018 (5 years ago) the response was: "No official ETA at the moment, probably a couple of weeks; less than a month."

Does it support alpha-to-coverage?
    In July 20, 2018 the response was: "Noted, we're going to address Alpha-To-Coverage soon."

Is it compatible with Unity's nature shaders used by Unity Tree Creator?
    In July 30, 2018 the response was: "Nature shaders seem to be currently incompatible, we'll be running a few tests in the coming weeks."

Does it support tree color tint in Unity terrains so different instances of the same tree can have different colors without needing different imposters for each color?
    (This I didn't see any mention of in the pages I read.)

I browsed the first 5 pages of the forum thread; I don't have time to read through all 34 pages. I had hoped the FAQ would have answers to these questions, but it seems not.

Well it does have this:
    Which would indicate that Alpha-To-Coverage was never implemented despite earlier statements? Because Alpha-To-Coverage is the way to support anti-aliasing for MSAA.

I'd appreciate answers to these questions here, and it would be a good idea to add them to the FAQ too. :)

30. G_Saffores

G_Saffores

Hi.
    I'm having trouble with the baking of Speedtrees models.
    01_Impostors_Meshes.jpg the baked albedo is completely white.
    02_Impostors_Impostors.jpg

Unity v2022.2.12
    HDRP 14
    Amplify Impostors v0.9.9.3
    My trees were made with Speedtree Modeler v8.4.2 and use HDRP SpeedTree8 shader in Unity.

Speedtree Export settings:
    03_Impostors_Export.jpg

I tested a lot of different parameters, but the baked Albedo is always white.:(

Last edited: Oct 12, 2023
  31. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

i sent your questions to the dev to check and will get bake to you soon

runevision likes this.
  32. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

yes, speed tree.:(
    speed tree even after getting purchased by unity still has not conformed to the standards used by all other unity shaders Lit and unlit with in URP and HDRP.

the amplify default bake and runtime for impostors uses the same property names as Unity Lit
    the white results are due to this not matching.

for URP Main Map
    Lit uses = _BaseMap
    speed tree uses = _MainTex

for URP color
    Lit uses = _BaseColor
    speed tree uses = _Color

Sadly, as Speed tree is so different from Unity standard best practice it is considered a custom shader
    to fix this you may need a custom bake and runtime shader

33. Wolfos

Wolfos

I just bought this asset. Getting very bad full-screen flickering when an impostor is being rendered

Unity 2023.1.16, HDRP, DirectX12.

Most frames are normal like:

But then it goes black:

On some frames it flickers blue instead:

I've seen magenta and white too.

Checking the box for "use Speedtree Hue" (I'm not using a SpeedTree shader) seems to resolve it.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2023
  34. Wolfos

Wolfos

Got another severe issue:
    It seems that without global illumination enabled, the impostors aren't receiving any indirect lighting (presumably from the skybox)

The shadows on the impostors are entirely black. Turning on SSGI fixes this but that's not an acceptable workaround as SSGI has an extremely high performance impact.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2023
  35. runevision

runevision

Thanks! It's now 11 days later; did you get any replies to the questions?

36. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

Hello sorry for the delay.

Does it support runtime generation?
    No, we dropped that feature a while ago, after we the original developer changed.
    the closest thing we have planned now is to expose the api to help make this easier for others who are coding it.
    Reference: https://github.com/AmplifyCreations/AmplifyImpostors-Feedback/issues/24

Does it support alpha-to-coverage?
    No but we can add it as a feature request for the next update.
    Reference: https://github.com/AmplifyCreations/AmplifyImpostors-Feedback/issues/34

Is it compatible with Unity's nature shaders used by Unity Tree Creator?
    No with no plans to support it. We provide and maintain our own shaders. Can't support 3rd party shaders. you should be able to make a custom bake and runtime shader if you own copy of the amplify editor.

Does it support tree color tint in Unity terrains so different instances of the same tree can have different colors without needing different imposters for each color?
    Not but we can add it as a feature request for the next update.
    Reference: https://github.com/AmplifyCreations/AmplifyImpostors-Feedback/issues/35

Please let me know if i missed any and or any more questions.

David

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  37. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

thank you for the report.
    Can you please contact me thru email or directly in the discord so i can try and replicate the issue.

David

Wolfos likes this.
  38. Redrag

Redrag

I am trying to bake multi objects - distant trees. But when I add Amplify Imposters to the parent the list of references is not filled. Unity 2023.1.16f

39. Wolfos

Wolfos

I have a feature request. For objects that don't use the EmissionOcclusion and DiffusionFeatures maps, Amplify produces high-res, fully black maps. The compression algorithm doesn't do a good job on this and for a single 4096 impostor we end up with over 100MB (build size) of pure black, which is a big waste.

Would it be possible to automatically detect these channels as empty and just not render those textures?

ms502040, Amplify_David and TRavljen like this.
  40. Yaya2503

Yaya2503

sorry in advance if my question seems stupid. i'm using a voxel terrain generation asset (voxelplay2) very similar to minecraft (cubic terrains) the problem is that i'm really disappointed because the view is very limited because of the power of these appariels so i'm adding a lod system and i'd like if it's possible to replace a chunck by an imposter i know it's not intended for that but i'd like to know if it's possible and your opinion on the subject.
    of course I'd like to update the imposter of these chunks, although not often, so that we can see the modifications made by the player to the chunk in question, for example if he builds a large tower and all that in multiplayer with possibly 100 people on the same map.

41. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

hello i am not certain impostors may produce good results as they are more intended by design to be viewed from distance. i have not tested use for baking voxel chucks.

42. Nergethic

Nergethic

I installed Amplify Impostors 0.9.9.3 on 3D HDRP Core template (Unity 2022.3.5f) and made sure that HDRP Samples are imported for HDRP version 14.

Barrels & Boulders scene gets blurred after a second. Fullscreen Debug Mode indicates that there is something wrong with rendering motion vectors.

Attached Files:

43. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

hello i downloaded unity 2022.3.5 and opened a new HDRP project.
    installed 0.9.9.3 however i could not replicate the issue.

Please reach out to me in email or discord so I can gain a bit more info to replicate the problem.

Thank you.
    David

44. Dobalina

Dobalina

Hello. I have a question regarding impostor color. I'm wanting to spawn some debris impostors that adopt the color of their origin. ie: A smashed blue car will spawn blue impostor debris. A red car, red debris. I was hoping I could render the debris a neutral grey color and then tint it the color I desire. Is there any way I can do this?

45. XenoAisam

XenoAisam

Hello, thank you for the wonderful product!
    I wanted to ask, do you have some sort of script to bulk create imposter objects? i have lots of model with lots of LOD... so far i only do imposter one by one which quite hassle.

46. runevision

runevision

The roadmap page (which hasn't changed since it was created four years ago) still says that runtime generation is planned:
    • Load-time baking impostors
    • Runtime baking impostors (with animation support)
    • Batch processing (multi-object baking)
    • Improved baking times and rendering speeds
    • Allow adding and deleting vertices in the custom shape editor
    • Signed Distance Fields for alpha mask
    Is this roadmap still current or could you update it to reflect current roadmap plans?

By the way, runtime baking can be more than just re-baking. For example creating a tree model at runtime and baking an imposter for it, which means it couldn't have an imposter to begin with.

API support is fine. Is there support via API to do this already, or is it planned?

I'd very much recommend it as it's very underrated! It essentially allows having MSAA anti-aliasing with cutout shaders. See this article.

Ok, so to be sure I get it, do I need to also buy amplify shader editor if I want imposters with any kind of custom properties? For example if I wanted tree imposters where I could control the color of the leaves per instance? It's not possible to hand-author shaders to get the same functionality?

hopeful likes this.
  47. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

@runevision
    thank you for pointing out this roadmap.
    I will review each one and setup an action in the Git that sorts out what logic needs to happen in what order to drive this forward. as i need to chat internally with other devs please give me a few days to get this in correctly.

48. la62ser

la62ser

Hi Amplify Support,
    I tried to bake impostor for the model PW.fbx (in the attached model.zip). Below is what it looks like.
    Original Model and Amplify Impostor component settings.png
    And I followed the steps to bake the impostor. The baked Impostor looks very weird, please see below image.
    Impostor.png
    I am using Unity 2021.3, URP 12, Amplify Impostor 0.9.9.3.
    Kindly help look into this issue, thanks.
    Best Regards,
    Draco

Attached Files:

49. Ben_at_Work

Ben_at_Work

Is there a way to visualize where the capture angles are relative to an asset? Not the billboard preview, but something like the array of cameras in the promo video for the asset.

Is there to create the equivalent of a cylinder capture mode? I've tried reducing the Y frames for a spherical bake but it starts with captures above and below the asset and I can't find a combination of frames or rotations that will produce a set of side views (player to asset height is static).
    >>> The best I can do is to set Y frames to 3, which still wastes 2/3 of the available resolution and stretches the mesh of the billboard. The 1st row is always from above, 2nd from below, and the 3rd aligns with the center. An odd number of Y frames will always yield a centered viewing angle. I assume I'd need to change both the atlas indexing for both bake and runtime shaders.​

How would I replace the main camera as an origin point for the impostor's behavior? Billboards that move with your head in VR are obvious, so I want to point mine towards the teleport origin so it only updates when the entire playspace moves.

Is there a way to use the Impostor shaders for single-directional billboards? Even without viewing angles, AI still includes great lighting and depth features that would take time to reproduce to recreate the more traditional billboard setup. I'd rather have one runtime shader to ensure my lighting throughout the scene is consistent, rather than two competing billboard solutions. The capture process is also really streamlined. Mesh intersection, lighting, and multi-object capture are all ready to go for Impostors, I just need to know where to look to relink the atlas for this purpose.
    >>> Same obstacle as the cylinder capture question I think.​

How do you capture assets which use double-sided geometry like leaves on a tree?

Is there a way to control the bounding box for the capture so as to crop the resulting impostor? Something like a search distance? My use case is an island with an extended mesh terrain which I'd prefer not to cut and reimport by hand. I only need to impostor the part above the water.

(Bug?) Why does the "References" section not expand to show the referenced assets? When I realized that I couldn't hide assets from the impostor component to exclude them from the bake, I moved them outside of the object hierarchy in the hopes they wouldn't be found and used. The component appears to still track them, and strangely only baked the removed assets, so I don't understand how and where the pointers to those assets are made and tracked. My component just says "References" and has no list at all. If I delete the component and reapply its settings the mesh renderers are gathered from scratch again.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
  50. CChong_at_Infinity

CChong_at_Infinity

Could we have a hemi-spherical bake mode too?

When using hemi octahedral baking, the performance on low-end devices with only vertex lights can be worse than simply using lower LOD-level meshes with the URP Simple Lit shader, for example.

In these instances, spherical imposters are cheap enough to provide a significant performance boost, but having a hemi mode would allow us to get more frames for the same texture memory usage.