Search Unity

AMD Athlon w/ integrated ATI Xpress 1150

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Brian-Kehrer, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Brian-Kehrer

Brian-Kehrer

Hey,

I was running some platform tests, and my friends brand new machine (the AMD with integrated ATI) only got about 200k verticies on the javascript performance test.

Additionally, the shaders displayed only black, so the landscape was only visible in silhoutte.

For comparison, my friends 4 year old POS with integrated Intel graphics got around 900k v/s, and I got around 3000 v/s with a gforce 7300 in a Mac Pro.

Is there an issue with Unity and AMD/ATI and their integrated graphics?

Edit: By turning off graphics acceleration performance increased to 400v/s and shading appeared.

Is there an issue with the ATI integrated cards?

2. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Was it on Firefox or IE? (Firefox has some issues on some hardware/driver configurations; we're looking for solutions to this problem)

Do you know the graphics driver version he has? Does any other 3D stuff (i.e. games) run also very slow, or is the speed ok?

3. Brian-Kehrer

Brian-Kehrer

Both Firefox and IE.

We tested out Second Life, and the speed was acceptable, it wasn't great, but it was ok, about what I would expect-

not the best draw distance, but stable framerates probably at around 20fps

in a modest Unity ap, he was lucky if he got 2fps

Driver version 8.262.0.0
    Driver Date 5/30/2006
    ATI Technologies

It appears to be the most recent driver

As an aside,
    Is there a general hardware compatibility list for Unity?
    We are considering Unity for a relatively large scale project and obviously would like to maximize our audience, or at least have some idea what is and isn't supported before we dive in.

(Support thus far has been impressive :D )

4. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Can you run C:\Program Files\OverTheEdge\Unity\WebPlayer\UnityBugReporter.exe and file a bug report? I'll get the OpenGL and system information with the report then.

By the way, the latest driver for Xpress 1150 seems to be Catalyst 6.12 (12/2006), here: http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/integrated-xp.html

As for compatibility, we try to run everywhere. Now, of course especially on Windows, there is hundreds of graphics cards with tens of driver versions each, running on several operating systems under several major browsers, and with infinite amount of extra software running in the background and possibly interacting in weird ways... So we really can't test all the combinations. In our office we test all the way back to cards like nVidia TNT or S3 Savage, both are way older than than Xpress 1150.

5. Brian-Kehrer

Brian-Kehrer

Edit: As for infinite combinations, its a Fujitsu A3110, and the latest compatible driver is the version we were running.

I agree, there are a million combinations of hardware and drivers.

We mostly like to know if you have some sort of list of tested compatibility, so we aren't developing completely blind, and have at least a rough idea what our compatibility will look like.

I look forward to working with you guys.

Brian