Search Unity

Ambient sound getting quieter when other sounds playing

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by dragriff, Feb 17, 2016.

1. dragriff

dragriff

Hello, so my issue is as the title states.

I have tried adding some ambient sounds in various ways, and they all worked, but whenever I started walking with my character and its footsteps were heard, it seems like the ambient sound quiets down, even a few seconds AFTER the footstep sounds. After which it slowly fades back in.

How could I fix that?

Thank you.

2. Hyblademin

Hyblademin

Sounds like volume ducking or compression. Do you have an active audio mixer with either of these effects?

3. StellarVeil

StellarVeil

Answer in case other people run into this issue in the future:
    It may be that you have both AudioSources' Spatial Blend setting set to 2D i.e to 0 for both sounds (ambient/music & the footsteps).
    What you should do is set the ambient/music to 2D and the other sfx to 3D but let's suppose you want to have multiple ambient sounds at the same time (e.g wind and birds) and you notice one getting weaker if they're both 2D then you can put both as 3D and attach them to the camera or wherever you have your AudioListener.

4. wm-VR

wm-VR

Thanks but this solution isn't working for me.
    Still the same issue:
    I don't use the internal audio mixer. I have one listener attached to the mainCamera and set the ambient sound to 2D and the handgun sfx to 3D. When I shoot the ambient sound lowers down (roughly 30% I'd guess) before it fades back to full volume.

Unity 2019.2.19f1

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  5. StellarVeil

StellarVeil

Sorry for the late reply, I tried a few things when I had the chance and the only thing I can recommend you try is lowering the min & max distance (give both the same value) in the 3D setting of the AudioSource, values like 1 or 0.6 or maybe a bit higher, you have to try until you find one that is audible enough and doesn't cause the dampening. I'm using Unity 2019.3.06f

6. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

I wonder if this could be a script problem causing this problem?