Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Ambient Skies - Skies, Post FX, Lighting

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, May 9, 2019.

1. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Welcome to Ambient Skies, the integrated skies, postfx and lighting system for Unity.

With Ambient Skies you will easily create the look you want regardless of whether you choose the builtin, lw or hd render pipeline.

More than just a wrapper around Unity, Ambient Skies makes intelligent decisions about how to set your scene up, adds a time of day system, dynamic depth of field, horizon blending, hdri skyboxes, and over 30 pre-configured post processing profiles, all of which have been carefully matched to give you a great visual starting point for your scene.

Ambient Skies is made up of three sub systems - Skies, Post fx and Lighting - that can be used independently or together as desired. This makes it easy for you to mix and match Ambient Skies with your favorite sky and weather systems as you please.

All settings are logically grouped and self documented so you will never again need to work out where to go to find and change that setting on a particular pipeline or wonder what the setting does - just tweak it and see the result instantly!

Ambient Skies was born out of our desire to create beautiful scenes and great visuals with minimal time, effort and frustration. It takes the pain out of working out which subsystem a setting is hidden in and what that setting does and is the result of years of experience in using and configuring Unity for optimal lighting and performance.

Key Features:
    - Automated pipeline setup - builtin, lw, hd
    - Intelligent scene interpretation and setup
    - Procedural, hdri and third party sky support
    - Time of day system for procedural skies
    - Horizon blending system to remove the clash between skies, fog and terrains
    - 10+ matched hdri skyboxes and scene setups and more coming
    - 30+ post processing styles and more coming
    - All configuration is profile based, editable, and revertable
    - Change settings in edit mode or at runtime as you please
    - Automated multi mode depth of field system
    - Configurable lighting performance and quality settings

Note 1: The existing post processing profiles work with builtin, lw and hd on Unity 2018.x, and on builtin & lw in Unity 2019.x. We will convert them to work in hd in Unity 2019.x as well shortly.

Note 2: Ambient Skies is NOT a volumetric lighting system or sky shader. It is a tool that integrates these things together, adds value on top, and makes it easy and fast to get the look you want. For examples on how Ambient Skies can be integrated with 3rd Party tools like Aura and Enviro or Tenkoku, please watch the attached integration video.

https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...s/ambient-skies-skies-post-fx-lighting-145817

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  2. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

placeholder

3. KeithBrown

KeithBrown

Hi, I have been waiting on this and just purchased. I love your assets for their ease of use. Quick question, does this integrate well with Enviro? I must confess I have not played around with it so the information might be in the asset, I just won't be able to delve into until later today.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  4. rrahim

rrahim

This is looking very cool. I'm currently using Tenkoku and would like to keep using it, how well would this integrate with it?
    Or what issues can I expect to face?

5. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Thanks. Yes you can integrate with Enviro. In fact if you check the following video out you can see that we already auto detect it.

You should have no problems integrating with Tenkoku. We plan to add in code to auto detect a whole lot of skies and clouds systems over time.

rrahim and KeithBrown like this.
  6. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

What does Ambient Skies do for performance? Does it increase reuse of passes, intermediate buffers, what have you? Or is it mainly about streamlining UI?

Also: how deep is iOS support? Looking for top-performing DOF and color grading alongside Enviro's atmospheric scattering.

Thanks! Looks promising!

PWPeter likes this.
  7. PWPeter

PWPeter

Please excuse the delayed reply, the may sale had created an influx of messages on all channels for us. There is nothing in Ambient Skies yet that will increase performance over a similarly set up scene without ambient skies, but we chose to use light settings that are more conducive to low end
    The effects used are all within the unity standard of the respective rendering pipelines and post processing, the only exception is a custom horizon shader which can be disabled. So you should be able to use it on iOS as far as the Unity standard supports it. We have not received any feedback of any constellation not working yet on iOS, but take this with a grain of salt since Ambient Skies is a rather new release.

8. MagiSoftworks

MagiSoftworks

Hi - Don't know if this is an Enviro thing but I have been working fine with Ambient Sky on this project for quite a while and just imported Enviro (Ambient switched to Third Party) and now got this message. haven't spent time to investigate so it might be something easy. Thanks!

Attached Files:

9. PWPeter

PWPeter

Hi, we looked into it, and it is a bug in Ambient Skies that we need to fix, please install the attached hotfix to correct the issue until then. You can install it via Assets > Import Package > Custom Package, after that the errors should be gone.

Attached Files:

10. MagiSoftworks

MagiSoftworks

Thanks again- Question, How do you get back the "Procedural Worlds" Drop down off "Window" when it disappears? Its nice to have them all consolidated off that. :) thanks!

11. PWPeter

PWPeter

That usually happens when you got compilation errors in the project just like the errors you reported above. Depending on when these errors occur, they can remove custom menu entries from the editor menus. If all errors are gone after installing the hotfix, the menu entries should be back again.

12. MagiSoftworks

MagiSoftworks

Gotcha - Forgot about that. :) - Ran Hotfix and took compilation errors from 7 to 2 (Attached).

Attached Files:

13. PWPeter

PWPeter

Unfortunately there was another cross-dependency with Gaia that was not addressed in the fix I sent you earlier, sorry about that. The good news there is a new version available now on the asset store that should fix this error for good in all possible combinations, could you please try to download the newest version to see if it fixes the error?

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  14. MagiSoftworks

MagiSoftworks

No problem at all - Fresh download and all is well. Thanks again for such amazing support!

15. pheitman

pheitman

I am using the Ambient Skies Samples that came with my recent purchase of Gaia. I am also using Unity 2019.2.3f1 and am developing for Vive using the SteamVR asset.

The problem I am having is that once I try to change the time of day from the Gaia Manager -> GX -> Procedural Worlds -> Ambient Skies Samples -> Skies, when I try and play the scene it is all black. I can't figure out how to get it to play correctly again. Changing the time of day (including to Default Procedural) doesn't work.Only if I click on 'Remove Ambient Skies' am I able to get the scene back. Any ideas?

16. PWPeter

PWPeter

The Ambient Skies Samples also set up Post Processing in your scene, I could imagine that one of the post processing settings is causing this total blackness. Could you please try to add one of the Ambient Skies Samples, but then removing Post Processing via
    upload_2019-8-31_4-31-16.png

If this is working, you could add post processing again (e.g. Default Morning) and then locate the post processing profile in your asset hierarchy, and try to switch off the individual post processing effects to see if one of those can be associated with the black scene.

upload_2019-8-31_4-33-57.png

17. pheitman

pheitman

Thanks for the reply. I clicked on the Remove Post Processing but it didn't seem to help. then I re-ran the Gaia Manager -> Standard -> 3. Create Player, Post FX, Screenshotter, Skies, Water and Wind (in case the Remove Post Processing really removed it). Then I went to the Ambient Skies Samples -> Global Post Processing and unselected all of the Overrides (that didn't help) and then I disabled the Post Process Volume (Script) (that didn't help). Anything else I can try?

18. PWPeter

PWPeter

Beyond the post processing settings (that don't seem to be causing it according to the tests you performed) the Ambient Skies samples change the skybox and lighting settings that can be found under
    Window > Rendering > Lighting settings

upload_2019-8-31_21-15-55.png

Could you please make a screenshot for yourself of this window when it is still working, then produce the issue, and then compare the settings against your screenshot and turn them back again one by one? In theory one of those should then be the culprit that is causing the issue.

19. hongtm

hongtm

Does your asset support VR?

20. PWPeter

PWPeter

Yes, Ambient Skies only uses default unity shaders and effects. It might be possible to run into an issue with VR rendering in certain configurations, but the issue would lie rather within Unity itself and you would experience the same issue without ambient skies then as well.

21. hongtm

hongtm

Thank Peter,

How about the LUT Color Transformation? Will you add this feature in the future?

22. dooly123

dooly123

Ambient Skies does support lookup textures.
    if you check under Post FX -> Profile Settings then color grading settings the first option there will be Mode.
    changing mode to external or low definition will display the input for the Lut. I have included an image below for context.
    https://imgur.com/I4q1EQi
    you can read about the color grading modes on unity's documentation below.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/PostProcessing-ColorGrading.html
    as well as the manual for unity's post-processing effects.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.postprocessing@2.1/manual/Color-Grading.html

23. mikeantoniv

mikeantoniv

Does Ambient skies have a tutorial about setting up with TOD and clouds on hdrp?

24. GXMark

GXMark

When will ambient skies support the URP pipeline ?

25. TerrainBuilder

TerrainBuilder

Hey,
    Currently there is no tutorial on setting this up. However we plan to update the Time Of Day system to support some clouds, weather etc for Built-In/LWRP/URP and HDRP in the next major update.

In the next update which will support URP and full 2019.3 support. There is no ETA at this time but hopefully be in the coming weeks.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  26. BryanPW

BryanPW

Currently, this is a video that you may look at, I will be making more soon, so please keep on the lookout for that.

27. BryanPW

BryanPW

Yes, all of our assets will support URP. Please be patient as we are still working and testing 2019.3. and soon we will be releasing all asset support.

28. ovalgee

ovalgee

When I enable post processing I got this error:
    AssertionException: Assertion failure. Values are not equal.
    Expected: 2048 == 3840

29. BryanPW

BryanPW

Is it possible to walk through your effects on the Post Processing and deactivating them One by one to find out which effect is causing the issue?

30. ovalgee

ovalgee

I deactive the main camera Post Processing layer, the error is disappear, the layer was added by ambient skies.

BryanPW likes this.
  31. ovalgee

ovalgee

I find out this issue, I use Gaia Pro and it will create GaiaLightingEnvironment gameobject, that contains "Forest Temperate - Moderate Biome Post Processing", I disable it this issue is disppear. Could you will fix it in the next version?

32. BryanPW

BryanPW

We will look into this!

33. majidarif

majidarif

Just wanted to check in again on the URP support? Thank you.

34. BryanPW

BryanPW

We are still working on these updates. Our focus is on getting out all the updates/ upgrades out as soon as possible!

35. sinpros

sinpros

i didnt find anything i could do with this asset that i already couldnt do in unity without it. it also works off only one procedural sky material. so if you have more then 1 scene you and use ambient skies on all scenes, you would have to use the same skybox in every scene. ive spent hours trying to get this to work with a second skybox or figure out how to create another skybox material and i couldnt. creating a new profile does NOT create a new skybox material either. wish i could get my money back. there is also ZERO in terms of a full tutorial anywhere online of in documentation, and no explanation on using profiles anywhere. if anyone can tell me how i can create more than one skybox material for multiple scenes it would help, because as of now, if i change the skybox for one scene it changes them for all the scenes

36. PWPeter

PWPeter

A new update for Ambient Skies was released on the PW Store and the Unity Asset Store:

v1.6:

- Important: Please use Unity version 2019.3+ to receive and import this update.
    - Reviewed for 2019.3 support - Added Support for SRP version 7.2+ (HDRP / URP)
    - Added Multi-scene support to save and store your settings per scene basis.
    - Added a new "Lights" tab (Allows you to create additional point light/spotlights/etc. to quickly light your scene at the camera position).
    - General bug fixes and performance improvements.

37. PWPeter

PWPeter

Sorry for the delayed reply, it looks like we missed your message on the forum. In the previous versions of Ambient Skies you had to be careful to not open the Ambient Skies windows again after setting up your scene as it would immediately overwrite your settings, in the new version (see my post above) this has been fixed now and Ambient Skies tracks different settings across different scenes.

38. awrightmgt

awrightmgt

I just updated to the latest version. It seemed like in the last version there was a cloud box. I do not see it anymore, am I missing something ? :)

39. BryanPW

BryanPW

The latest Gaia Pro release should still have it. If you can please try to run step 2 in the Gaia Manager.

40. netpost

netpost

@PWPeter

I was waiting for the HDRP version and start using it this morning.Using Unity 2019.3.13f1

I can't use the latest update in HDRP:

Assets\Procedural Worlds\Ambient Skies\Scripts\Editor\PostProcessingUtils.cs(10,42): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'HDPipeline' does not exist in the namespace 'UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Any help would be appreciated. Than k you.

41. netpost

netpost

So I decided to start a project again in legacy mode this time, imported ambient skies. It works well for a while then my sky change to pink. Did not change anything...

42. BryanPW

BryanPW

I am looking into this!

43. netpost

netpost

Great thank you!

44. BryanPW

BryanPW

I am so sorry for the late response, if you have not figured this out, can you please tell me what is in the scriptable define symbols located by going to edit- project settings- player- scritable define symbols.

45. frbrz

frbrz

Ambient Skies seems to be created for exterior scenes. Does it makes sense to use Ambient Skies in interior scenes?

46. BryanPW

BryanPW

The light tab allows you to create point lights, spot lights, etc.
    The main majority is meant for exterior lighting though, and Skyboxing.
    You could use it for your Post Processing Profiles as well.

47. Calum

Calum

Hi there, just wondering if this asset will work in 2020.2.7f1 with HDRP 10.3.1?

48. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

They tend to change the underlying API's from version to version. We will look into what has changed with the latest. We have not tested yet.

Calum likes this.
  49. Calum

Calum

I've bought it anyway so will just hold out until it's confirmed compatible :)

50. Calum

Calum

Just wondering if Bakery is compatible with Ambient Sies?