Search Unity

Ambient occlusion

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by maartenvanoostveen, Feb 19, 2018.

1. maartenvanoostveen

maartenvanoostveen

Hey guys, just made a long return back to unity ( from unreal) and have dived into the engine quite fast.

My biggest struggle so far however is to find out how i can add Ambient Occlusion (A.O) to my scene.
    I've checked several video's on youtube and constantly see people with plug-ins. there is an option under global Illumination (G.I) but for some reason when i check it and play with the sliders nothing happens.

Did i miss something or am I overseeing something ? I cannot imagine Unity anno 2018 without A.O :S.

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

You mean baked AO, or some form of SSAO?

(also AO is overrated)

3. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Download the free post processing stack from Unity.

4. maartenvanoostveen

maartenvanoostveen

but where ? In the engine i went to Assets > Import Package > effects. checked several other packages but couldn't find it. Any form of A.O would be nice ( not pre baked)

5. maartenvanoostveen

maartenvanoostveen

either really. Can't get the baked one to work, can't find SSAO ( though i could understand if the lather is a plug-in only)

6. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/PostProcessing

Lennart

7. Mauri

Mauri

8. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Why?

9. maartenvanoostveen

maartenvanoostveen

When I enable G.I (this works) make my base cubes (test scene) static the GI seems to work, if afterwards I enable A.O nothing happens, I've been spamming it on and off, dragged the distance slider back and forth but no difference. I though maybe it's because the G.I is dynamic, however when turning dynamic G.I off the G.I is gone and still no A.O.

10. maartenvanoostveen

maartenvanoostveen

Thanks, I managed to get it working with the official post processing package on the asset store :). Thanks for all the replies.

11. KarolisO

KarolisO

If you're baking GI, you should not use the bake AO option. Ambient Occlusion is a cheap approximation of GI so baking it on top of GI doesn't make sense from a realistic point of view.

If you need realtime AO instead, use the Post Stack that Mauri linked: