Search Unity

Ambient occlusion with temporal occlusion creates strange artefacts

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by iSpiegelball, Feb 14, 2020.

1. iSpiegelball

iSpiegelball

ao_temporal.PNG

As you can see in the picture, the cube geometry (red) has several "ghosts" (blue) in the Game View. This is only present if "temporal accumulation" is active for AO. To make it even stranger, resizing the Scene View(in a different window) shifts the ghosts in the game view.

HDRP 7.2.1 with 2019.3.1f1 on Windows 10 (Bootcamp) and Radeon Pro Vega 56.

2. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

I would not use the temporal setting for AO, as the tooltip also states, it's cheaper but creates also artefacts.

3. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi, Hi expect it is a fast moving cube right? Do you have a movie? thanks

4. iSpiegelball

iSpiegelball

Hey Sébastien,
    the cube doesn't move at all. You can notice the effect in this video (bottom right corner):

5. francescoc_unity

francescoc_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi,

To be clear, is the issue happening only when resizing the various windows?
    Do you have animated material option enabled in the scene view? (If not you don't have motion vectors generated and the temporal reprojection will be faulty).
    Does this happen if you press play?

Thank you

6. iSpiegelball

iSpiegelball

The ghostings are also present if I don't resize the windows, but less noticable since they don't move. I have "animated materials" enabled, but disabling doesn't change the artefacts. All shown materials generate motion vectors. I have the same behaviour in play mode. Also I remembered a similar effect I saw a few days ago, where transparent materials produced wrong reflections with a planar reflection and resizing one window shifted the reflections in the other. I will share this too once I am able to reproduce.

7. francescoc_unity

francescoc_unity

Unity Technologies

I am confused on how you get ghosting with nothing moving? Does this happen if you have only one window open (say game view and play mode?)

A bug report would be great so we can look into it!

Thank you

8. iSpiegelball

iSpiegelball

9. francescoc_unity

francescoc_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi,

We identified and fixed the issue, not sure yet what public package it will be on, but likely the next one that we'll publish.

Thank you

chap-unity likes this.