Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Ambient Occlusion Post processing not affecting transparent objects.

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by Atlantiss, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Atlantiss

Atlantiss

I was using a transparent lit shader for a masked material and ambient occlusion effect is not working on the opaque area of the masked material.

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

That's correct. AO is a depth based effect and transparent does not write to depth. Same for DOF etc...

It could be possible if another shader in opaque writes to depth just before transparent, and transparent then draws if depth is very close (like a decal).

3. Atlantiss

Atlantiss

Is it possible for the transparent material to write to depth by changing any properties?

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

No. But you can draw a mesh that writes to depth beforehand.

5. chadfranklin47

chadfranklin47

Hello, is there any way to prevent AO from drawing on transparent parts of cutout shader? Here is what my problem looks like:
    Screenshot_270.png

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  6. chadfranklin47

chadfranklin47

Perhaps the Ambient occlusion is not on the model itself, but is showing up on the model from the Ambient Occlusion applied to the mesh behind the model. This would explain the darkness only where the ground is behind the character.

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Unfortunately the transparent parts of a cutout shader aren't really transparent but opaque... so not sure what you could do to fix this. Perhaps Unity staff would know. Make sure the shader using cutout properly discards before writing depth, or if there is a depth pass being done make sure the same cutout runs on that.

8. chadfranklin47

chadfranklin47

Alright, the problem is fixed, for now at least. Of course I would be getting errors if I had the occlusion settings set to Force FORWARD Compatibility while I am on deferred rendering. Thank you for your help.

9. Mihajilovski

Mihajilovski

Hello, chadfranklin47, can you please share how did you fix AO problem? Thanks!

10. chadfranklin47

chadfranklin47

I had the Force Forward Compatibility option ticked while I was using deferred rendering. I just unticked it and everything worked correctly.