Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Ambient occlusion + matte shadows

Discussion in 'Virtual Production' started by GeniusKoala, Oct 20, 2021.

1. GeniusKoala

GeniusKoala

Hi,

We are making a TV shows in Unity with 3D characters inserted on a live background. We are using the streaming image sequence to display the background on a Plane behind the characters. We added a 3D proxy under them to cast their shadows on it with a matte shadows shader (a simple Unlit with the matte shadow option enabled). It works great we are all glad of the results!

To go further and achieve a better insert we would like to have ambient occlusion too under the feet of our characters to make them really stick on the barrel where they stand on.

If I understood correctly the ambient occlusion is only computed for Lit shaders. I was wondering if it was possible to have both matte shadows and ambient occlusion since matte shadows are for Unlit shaders? What would be the ways to add the ambient occlusion between the 3D characters and our proxy?

ZEILT and newguy123 like this.
  2. GeniusKoala

GeniusKoala

@Matjio @SebLagarde It would be really helpful if some technical people would have an idea of how to achieve this. I can send you more information in private since I can't share any visual in public so far.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021