Search Unity

Ambient Light with HDRP

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by raghadalghonaim, Jul 5, 2020.

1. raghadalghonaim

raghadalghonaim

Sorry if this sounds a dumb question,

For experiments purposes, I'm trying to create two identical scenes (one using the built-in render pipeline, and the other using HDRP).

As I'm a newbie to HDRP, I couldn't understand how to set the ambient light color as in the built-in renderer? ( I don't want to use directional lights at this occasion)

I tried using skybox, exposure, but all of them ruined my scene (white cube becomes a light blue, as an example).

I also followed what's in the default HDRP scene, but I actually couldn't arrive to a conclusion.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!!!!

2. valarnur

valarnur

You can get Ambient Light with Gradient sky or HDRI.

3. raghadalghonaim

raghadalghonaim

I'm currently using HDRI, but I'm suffering from the problem I mentioned above. White cube turned out to be light blue..

4. raghadalghonaim

raghadalghonaim

5. raghadalghonaim

raghadalghonaim

Bump :(?

is there a way to set the ambient light as the built-in renderer. If not, I want to mimic the behavior of a white (255,255,255) ambient light. How can I do that with either the sky or the exposure?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Update: setting the static lighting sky to Gradient sky and changing all the colors of the gradient sky to be white works for previous version of hdrp (5.2) but not the 7.3

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  6. andyz

andyz

This is one of the unfriendly parts of HDRP. Want white background/sky, erm... gradient sky, but I have to set 3 colors to white! Then it comes out grey because... well let's add an exposure to the volume & now it is white. But everything else in scene is too bright so up exposure or auto expose.. ok we have ambient light control but oh sky is grey again!

So I guess exposure is your ambient light control and the sky will change depending on this unfortunately (camera-real?)

You can just have no sky and set the background color but strangely the background color will be more grey still...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    raghadalghonaim likes this.
  7. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi, maybe this video can help you regarding exposure configuration and sky setup:

8. andyz

andyz

It's a good video, an indoors one might be useful as the outdoor scene is maybe best case!
    Also indoors you need to know how to do a realistic lighting setup, lumen values etc.

I think for newcomers it is about the fact that you are now dealing with a realistic camera & lighting setup, not just flooding the scene with lights (ambient included) to get the look!

9. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi, we have a new HDRP template coming with 2020.2 and HDRP 10.x (in the next official 10.1.0 package) that will currently show 3 different lighting scenario side by side with camera setup to help to start with good setup.

Here is some picture. This should be available in less than a month. Stay stune.

Attached Files: