Search Unity

Ambient light in sealed interior space

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by Sendatsu_Yoshimitsu, May 2, 2020.

1. Sendatsu_Yoshimitsu

Sendatsu_Yoshimitsu

I've been playing with URP a lot, and outdoor lighting is pretty simple to get going: directional light for shadowcasting, environmental light to cut the shadows, then pop in points or emissive materials for color and nuance. I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how I'm intended to light interior spaces, however- environmental lighting doesn't seem to provide any ambience if a room is completely sealed, and most of the tutorials I've found feature rooms that have windows or open doors, which let you use a directional or area light.

Thus far the best result I've gotten has been from making the ceiling a 1-sided mesh that lets sunlight in, but shadows having uniform directionality inside looks weird. I don't think I'm intended to light entire spaces with point lights either, since getting meaningful utility requires a very high intensity which is obvious and burns out textures closest to the light. Area lights are a little better, but they're still obviously artificial and don't really replace a strong ambient fill.

So what am I missing? Is there a standard approach that I'm ignoring?

Destrucity likes this.