Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Ambient Intensity for Gradient/Color Ambient Source?

Discussion in '5.4 Beta' started by Stardog, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Stardog

Stardog

Will this be returning to the Lighting window? It's almost unusable without it.

2. N1warhead

N1warhead

I second that.
    I find now the only way I can get a clearly dark game is with use of an Image Effect (the new Tonemapping one).
    However - it's still not the same as Ambient Darkness as the Tonemapper makes everything dark not just the level.

3. Seith

Seith

At first I thought I must be mistaken but the ambient intensity slider has indeed disappeared. But I'm pretty sure this is a mistake; the necessity for it is self evident and it should be reinstated eventually.

5.4b10 is not useable yet and a lot of things will get fixed before it becomes stable. I think this slider is part of the broken things that will get fixed in the end.

4. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Click on the color widget and change current brightness.

5. Kuba

Kuba

As Laurent noticed the brightness/intensity can now be controlled in the color picker itself, as we changed the color and gradient modes to use an HDR color picker. Please take it for a spin and if there are any issues with it, do not hesitate to let us know.

6. Stardog

Stardog

But gradients have 3 colors to change. We can't be expected to change each color one by one when trying to light a scene...

A slider could be there with 1 acting as current intensity of each color.

7. Seith

Seith

Thank you for this explanation. I wasn't aware of those changes.

However I want to point out it is extremely valuable to still have access to one overall ambient lighting slider (that would act as master to the gradients brightness if you will). Having to individually manipulate each gradient's brightness just to check how your scene looks without ambient lighting is not an optimal workflow.

Another important reason is that several lighting solution assets out there already manipulate those gradients. And whenever you need to override the ambient lighting for the entire scene/game (ie: to make it pitch black) then accessing that slider allows you to do it quickly and simply. Without having to fight against the execution order of said 3rd-party lighting assets.

In consequence, and if what I just explained make sense to you, then I would politely request that the ambient intensity slider be reinstated.

protopop likes this.
  8. Kuba

Kuba

Thanks for the feedback, we'll take a look at it again and will consider bringing the slider back.

bac9-flcl and Seith like this.
  9. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

The slider will be back in a later beta, the code is done and will make it in together with some other improvements. No ETA though. Meanwhile, please adjust intensity in skybox mode and swith back to one of the HDR color modes. The intensity specified in sybox mode will be multiplied with the HDR colors.

Seith likes this.
  10. Seith

Seith

Thank you, I'm very relieved to hear that!