Search Unity

Amazon Fire Stick - Add Support for All Remote Key Inputs [non-system keys]

Discussion in 'Android' started by Arthur-LVGameDev, Dec 3, 2021.

1. Arthur-LVGameDev

Arthur-LVGameDev

Hi,

Can we get the [native/built-in] ability to handle the following keys on Amazon Fire Stick (Android), please:
    • Play
    • Pause
    • Rewind
    • Fast Forward
    • Info / Details [button with three horizontal dashed lines]
    These keys are NOT system keys and you CAN get access to them via exporting your project, making some changes to the generated code, and then building it in in the Android IDE. But it's a PITA and Unity could trivially add support for these key commands.

Bonus: Pass the volume commands through, too (Volume Up, Volume Down, Mute). They aren't as useful since they're usually bound to TV commands (via IR or HDMI-CEC), but it also wouldn't hurt anything to receive the inputs in Unity, as well.

Adding this seems like it'd be trivial for Unity -- about 20 lines of code -- meanwhile doing it ourselves is quite the process & has to be done every time you make a build (or automate it, which would be a >=1 day project). Also, this is applicable & relevant for all (five) of the current-gen Amazon Firestick versions (TV 3rd Gen; 4K; 4K Max, 4K Lite; TV Cube).

Note: I want this in "legacy" Input system, not the 'new' system! And, just to reiterate, it IS already doable -- just make it work by default!

Regarding the [new] InputSystem: [IMO] it's simply not production-ready -- and it probably never will be. It over-complicates the hell out of what should be an extremely basic API / mapping / binding configuration. We're developers, we write code -- we don't want to fumble around in UIs & drag'n'drop "map assets" -- we want to write code. See also: Addressables -- though it's at least much more friendly to actual developers/coders. =|

2. Mashimaro7

Mashimaro7

Sorry to ask, but how do you add support for these keys manually, if i have to? I'm not sure why Amazon doesn't add support for these extra buttons...

3. Hatherninja

Hatherninja

I think in the new Amazon Firestick 4K we have a play, Pause, Rewind, Fast Forward, etc.

marthaatunity1 likes this.
  4. marthaatunity1

marthaatunity1

I borrowed 4k firestick remote from a friend to enjoy all the mentioned functions