Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

aMaz3D - A 3D maze navigation game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by jdwieber, Jul 21, 2012.

1. jdwieber

jdwieber

Hello,

My name is Joseph Wieber and I am the founder of a video game company called Quark Soda, LLC. The company specializes in non-violent video games. Our main focus in on mobile platforms. We have a web demo of our first offering: http://quarksoda.com/amaz3d-live-demo.html

There is also a kickstarter project for this game at: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jdwieber/amaz3d

The kickstarter project description has the full details of what features the game will have when it is completed, but here is the gist of what is currently implemented in the demo.

The idea is to solve the maze before time runs out. Don't worry too much about the time for the demo because the game will continue even after the time expires. Before you can exit the maze you have to find the items shown in the left slide out palette. They are hidden somewhere in the maze. Once you find them you can proceed to the exit. Once you get to the exit a new maze will be generated and you can play again. Each new maze is more difficult than the previous one. In the slide out palette on the right is a marking tool. You can use this to mark a cell as visited. It indicates the direction you came from when you drop it. You can also pick it up again and reuse it later. You only get five, so use them wisely. To climb up the ladders, just run into them using one of the keys listed below. Once on the ladder, you can go up and down. Once you get off the ladder it's not possible to climb down, so just walk off the ledge to go to a lower landing. You can jump and control your movement while in the air. To collect items you just run into them. The gold coins register for score points. The silver looking coins are the ducats and they increase your currency. As this is just a demo, the ducats collected are ignored. In the full game, these will allow you to purchase items from the in-game store.

The controls:
    • To slide a tool palette in or out, click on it with the left mouse button
    • To go forwards press the 'W' key, or "up arrow" key
    • To go backwards press the 'S' key, or "down arrow" key
    • To strafe left press the 'A' key, or "left arrow" key
    • To strafe right press the 'D' key, or "right arrow" key
    • To look around (pan and tilt) move the mouse
    • The spacebar jumps
    • Running and jumping into a wall causes you to rebound off like a "Jackie Chan" style wall jump, and you can rebound off multiple walls

Here is a screen shot of the maze:
    $MazeScreenShotSmall.png

If you have time, please check out the game and post some comments here. Also, if you like the game, please consider backing the kickstarter project.

Cheers,

Joseph

2. jdwieber

jdwieber

Each maze now has teleport devices in place. Here are a few screen shots of the teleporters in action. It's a bit tough to capture the feel of the animation in still screens, so I have a few time-lapsed images.

$Image_0.png

$Image_1.png

$Image_2.png

$Image_3.png

$Image_4.png

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  3. jdwieber

jdwieber

Here is a screencast of the features currently implemented. Let me know what you think.

http://youtu.be/V40GJNwEBj4

4. RingOfStorms

RingOfStorms

Looking cool, a few ideas:

Upscale your character just a bit, from the video you look a bit small compared to everything else, specially ladders and the texture on the floor. And secondly, maybe a fade on the camera for the teleporter, it didn't seem like you went anywhere because it was so instant :p, it would just look cool with a fade.

But otherwise looks like a great game in progress, with a bit more polish and more levels it would be good to go. I'm interested in future items and challenges added.

5. Alex Cruba

Alex Cruba

Hi there... You posted to get some input I think, so please don't be angry when I write what I think:

1) I would rearrange the webpage a bit. People will not check in the 1st that it is about nonbrutal gaming - it more looks loke school education.
    2) Do open the links in new page - at the moment the visitor lose contact to your page.

Update: Sorry but the webplayer would like to load around half an hour - don't know why... Way too long for me.

6. jdwieber

jdwieber

@RingOfStorms_: I'm glad you said that about the character. I couldn't put my finger on what felt off about the view. I'll scale the character up. I like the idea of the fade too, so I'll add that in. I actually wanted to do a wavy effect, like watching heat rise off of a hot surface in the summer, but can't figure out how to do it without post processing. Now that I think about it, the fade will look better. Since I have the particle effect and animation already there, the wavy vision might get lost in the shuffle.

@Alex: I want all feedback good and bad. 1. Ya, my website sucks ass. I whipped it up using the "weebly drag and drop" tool that came with my subscription. I definitely have to fix it. 2. I will have the webplayer open in a new page. That's odd about the loading time. On a fresh push of new assets it usually loads in about 30 seconds. The second time I visit the page it loads in under 10s. I'll have to see what I did wrong there. Hopefully I can blame my host (doubt it).

Thanks to both of you for the input.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  7. Alex Cruba

Alex Cruba

Ummm how much mb is the thingy offline?

8. jdwieber

jdwieber

@Alex: The .unity3d file is 12MiB. It's on the larger size right now because there are unused models and other junk littering the project. I don't remember if I built that web version with the player streamed in. I don't usually build for web, so I'm not up to snuff with the settings. I do know that I seriously have to clean out the project.

9. jdwieber

jdwieber

I have two short videos that show some of the mini-games that will be available in aMaz3D. I also updated the kickstarter project with much more info.
    here is the ks link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jdwieber/amaz3d

here are the videos.

A color pattern mini-game:

http://youtu.be/7WOlfxBn4So

A word search mini-game:

http://youtu.be/2VZQM3gLmzQ

10. jdwieber

jdwieber

I have a new video showing some new features. In the video I show one of the hidden environments that players can explore. In the video I just tied it to a portal for demo purposes, but most of the time the hidden environments will be, of all things, hidden... Although, a teleport trip to a hidden environment is certainly in the mix too. I also demo the tool collection system and a new compass tool.

@RingOfStorms_: I added in the fade to black during the portal animation and it looks so much better; thanks.

here's the link, enjoy.

http://youtu.be/gW4VnBtCj1o