Search Unity

Question Am I too stupid to install EditorXR? (Solved, Step by Step Guide)

Discussion in 'EditorXR' started by mz00956, Oct 26, 2020.

1. mz00956

mz00956

Problem:

I went to Github and downloaded the latest release of EditorXR.
    And then I used the package manager to import it into a completely new Unity Project.
    Version 2019.4.13f1 and 2020.1.10f1

But in both versions, I get a lot of errors. (Over 300)
    Many that there is no unity GUID, or at least a wrong one.
    And Errors about Unity.InputNew
    and that stuff:
    IStandardActionMap
    ICustomActionMap
    and a few more.

I really don't know how I can get it to work. You also can't find a video on YouTube that explains what Version to use and how to install EditorXR. I am fine with and Version of unity. But I would prefer 2020

Could someone please just tell me what Version works with EditorXR and if I need other Packages to get it to work?

2. mz00956

mz00956

Well, I got it to work somehow with a Package. But now I don't know how I got it to work.

But it works wireless with the Oculus Quest 2, so yeah, that's pretty cool

amirebrahimi_unity likes this.
  3. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

Glad you got it working. From the errors you mentioned I think it is possible that submodules did not get downloaded with the git pull.

4. mz00956

mz00956

I found the Solution:

Don't download it with Github and add it from your disk. Then you get all these errors.

Guide:
    Go to the Package Manager and press the small + icon.
    Then "add Package from Git URL" and enter "com.unity.editorxr" and import it.
    (This still works fine when you have already tried it from the disk and got all these errors)

Next, go into your Project Settings and import XR Plug-in Management. Then select your HMD. Oculus in my case.
    I selected it for PC and Android. Not sure which one you really need.

That's it. Connect you HMD and press "control + E" to start EditorXR.

----------------------Bonus-----------------------
    As a bonus for Oculus Quest or Quest 2 users.

You can use Virtual Desktop to connect you Quest Wireless to Unity.
    For that you need to:

Start Virtual Desktop and connect to your PC.
    Go the to Windows Explorer and locate the following Paths:

Virtual Desktop exe file > in my case > D:\Programms\Virtual Desktop Streamer\VirtualDesktop.Streamer.exe
    Unity Editor exe file > in my case > D:\Programms\Unity Editors\2019.4.13f1\Editor\Unity.exe
    And your Project folder > in my case > D:\GameDevelopment\UnityPrototyps\UnityEditorXR2019Test2

Warning: For some odd reason you Project folder name needs to be all in one string. So no " " spaces. I don't know why

Then open cmd/Command console. (press the Windows key + R and type cmd)
    And put the path in the following order.

"Virtual Desktop exe file" "Unity Editor exe file" -projectpath "your Project folder"
    The " are necessary, and don't forget the -projectpath.

In my case it would look like that at the end:

"D:\Programms\Virtual Desktop Streamer\VirtualDesktop.Streamer.exe" "D:\Programms\Unity Editors\2019.4.13f1\Editor\Unity.exe" -projectpath "D:\GameDevelopment\UnityPrototyps\UnityEditorXR2019Test2"

Then Run the Command and your Project should open.

VanzKim likes this.
  5. mz00956

mz00956

Oh and I found out that EditorXR sadly doesn't work for Untiy 2020....:(

6. ahkow

ahkow

Hi mz00956. I am using Quest. I followed your instructions above in a new project. I run Virtual Desktop Streamer like you. But my "Window -> EditorXR" is greyed out.
    upload_2020-11-1_16-43-19.png

I also installed OpenVR (https://forum.unity.com/threads/runtime-editor.470084/page-6) and enabled it in XR.
    upload_2020-11-1_17-12-10.png

I added a XRRig and a cube in the scene. When I press Play, I can see the cube in Quest through Virtual Desktop. The scene is moving according to my head.

But still I cannot use EditorXR because it is greyed out in design mode. There is no error in Console after the project is opened in Unity. No error too when I play the scene.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  7. mz00956

mz00956

No, I have not. Atleast not myself. I have the Sideloaded version of Virtual Desktop.

If that is greyed out then you should look in Project Settings -> EditorXR and look if it says something there

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  8. ahkow

ahkow

Ok I clicked Reset button to the right of EditorXR in the dialog below.
    upload_2020-11-1_17-20-38.png

And I see this in Console, probably this is the issue. But I'm not sure how to fix this.
    upload_2020-11-1_17-21-51.png

9. mz00956

mz00956

I think that was an error that I just cleared. Do you have both Oculus packages installed? In the last setting of the project settings. (Screenshop please)
    Android and Windows.

And please a screenshop of the Package Manager

10. ahkow

ahkow

Both Oculus packages? You mean PC and Android? I didn't install Android compiler.

Here you go:
    upload_2020-11-1_17-48-44.png

upload_2020-11-1_17-48-52.png

upload_2020-11-1_17-49-2.png

Package Manager
    I show "In Project" only. Otherwise it's a long list.
    upload_2020-11-1_17-51-8.png

upload_2020-11-1_17-50-54.png

11. mz00956

mz00956

I think you need android for the Quest via Virtual Destop and Windows for link mode. But I am not sure. You could also try to enable preview packages if you haven't already. I think I also installed the second from the bottom. Maybe that's it

12. ahkow

ahkow

Installed Android and enabled preview packages. Didn't work. Then I saw the following lines in EditingContextManager.cs
    Code (CSharp):
    2. // Edit mode support requires legacy VR, which was removed in 2020.1
    3. #if UNITY_EDITOR && !UNITY_2020_1_OR_NEWER
    4. #define UNITY_EDITORXR_EDIT_MODE_SUPPORT
    5. #endif
    So I removed XR management, Oculus XR and OpenVR XR. Then installed legacy VR. "Window -> EditorXR" is enabled and no longer greyed out.
    upload_2020-11-1_20-20-55.png

So I can see EditorXR in Quest. But I have a twin controllers in each hand like the following. How does yours look like?
    upload_2020-11-1_20-24-47.png
    upload_2020-11-1_20-24-55.png

13. mz00956

mz00956

I only have the normal controllers...

You could try to delete the second controller in the inspector on the pc while vr is running

ahkow likes this.
  14. ahkow

ahkow

Thanks, I guess that's the way until this is fixed :D

15. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

This is true. It currently doesn't work in Edit mode, but you can still use the EditorXR runtime in play mode.

16. ibenizer

ibenizer

Hello, I have meticulously followed every reply here but still no luck , greyed out EditorXR

- uploaded everyting through + and github urls
    - Unity 2019 versions

upload_2021-1-25_17-36-32.png

I'm on MacBook Pro BigSur, Virtual Desktop (mac Streamer), Oculus Quest 2 with Virtual Desktop

Thanks so much for your help!!

Attached Files:

17. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

ibenizer likes this.
  18. ibenizer

ibenizer

Thanks so much for your help, I tried to do this from the instructions link:
    go to Assets > Create > EditorXR > Default Script References

But for some reason, I'm getting this error:

Saving Prefab to immutable folder is not allowed: Packages/com.unity.editorxr/Runtime/Scripts/Modules/SnappingModule/Prefabs/MenuFaceSnapping.prefab
    UnityEngine.StackTraceUtility:ExtractStackTrace ()
    Unity.EditorXR.Utilities.DefaultScriptReferences:UpdateScriptReferences () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.editorxr@ea883f0170/Runtime/Scripts/Data/DefaultScriptReferences.cs:120)

Any ideas?

19. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

From another person on the team (I haven't tried to repro your issue yet):

"Yeah that's known (to me). It's a combination of something dirtying prefabs on import, and those prefabs having components with stuff that gets upgraded in newer Unity. In my experience it's benign and only happens sometimes on import"

Did you have the project in an older version of Unity and then upgrade it? You could try uninstalling the package and re-adding it to see if that fixes the issue.

ibenizer likes this.
  20. ibenizer

ibenizer

Thank you, I have created a new 2019 from scratch and was able to create the assets>editorXR>scripts
    Got it to run on quest2 but no editor or controllers etc to see? what’s missing?

thank you for your help!

amirebrahimi_unity likes this.
  21. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

Not sure about the controllers. We haven't really tested much on the Quest 2. Have you tried through SteamVR to see if controllers show up?

22. Corysia

Corysia

I would assume that EditorXR is going to require Link. That would mean you'd need to install Bootcamp and Windows and then the Oculus PC software. I haven't used EditorXR in awhile now, as I'm also usually on a Mac.

23. tran10

tran10

Hello,
    I'm newbie about Unity, I want to use Editor VR to develop an environment for modelling 3D.
    I use Unity 2020.1.17, EditorVR 0.4.17 and steamVR 2.7 because I want to use Vive HMD. Unfortunately It doesn't work, can you tell me which version of SteamVR you used. Thank you so much for your help.

24. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

Hi @tran10 - can you share more about how it doesn't work? If you hit the play button does the game update along with the movement of your HMD. That's one way to help single out whether VR is working at all.

25. tran10

tran10

Hi @amirebrahimi_unity thank you so much for your response.
    In fact, I want to use EditorXR in runtime so I follow this link to do: https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...~/com.unity.labs.editorxr.md#editorxr-runtime

When I click play to go on play mode I have a error like this:

Saving Prefab to immutable folder is not allowed: Packages/com.unity.editorxr/Runtime/Scripts/Modules/SnappingModule/Prefabs/MenuFaceSnapping.prefab
    UnityEditor.AssetDatabase:SaveAssets()
    Unity.XR.OpenVR.OpenVRSettings:InitializeActionManifestFileRelativeFilePath() (at Library/PackageCache/com.valvesoftware.unity.openvr@6c1655551723-1614121125000/Runtime/OpenVRSettings.cs:176)
    Unity.XR.OpenVR.OpenVRLoader:Initialize() (at Library/PackageCache/com.valvesoftware.unity.openvr@6c1655551723-1614121125000/Runtime/OpenVRLoader.cs:181)
    UnityEngine.XR.Management.XRGeneralSettings:AttemptInitializeXRSDKOnLoad()

In play mode, my HMD can turn around and see object, but I can't see my controller, as well as the menu :(

To install EditorXR I follow these steps: (Unity 2020.1.17, I already have TestMeshPro 3.0.6)
    • Install SteamVR 2.7
    • Install EditorVR 0.4.17
    Do you have any advise?
    Thank you so much for your response.

Tran10.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  26. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

It sounds like you may have upgraded a project from a previous version of Unity. Try removing the EditorXR package and then reinstalling the package to have the prefab error go away.

27. tran10

tran10

Thank you so much for your advise, I reinstalled EditorXR and everything work well :)

28. Reiyako

Reiyako

Hello, I'm having similar errors with saving prefabs. Installed the package through git url. Tried several times to reinstall EditorXR but it didn't solve the issue. I'm using Unity version 2020.3.5, EditorXR version 0.4.13

Attached Files:

29. majaus

majaus

I find it incredible, outraged and stupid that Unity has decided to discontinue this vr editor.
    And really, if you haven't discontinued it, it seems like it.
    It is impossible to get it to work in modern versions of unity.
    In old versions it is extremely troublesome to install.
    There are no tutorials, video tutorials or information for years.

This is an asset that should be downloaded from the assetStore and without problems and updated or from the package manager.

I tell you more, this editor should be integrated with unity directly, without having to download any packages.

On the other hand, the Github Readme is empty, I think it is in the only Github unity project that I have seen this.

Come on, it seems to me that it is a project important enough not to leave it abandoned, if you need more people there, put more people.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    Alakelele and VanzKim like this.
  30. zkarkafi

zkarkafi

Hello everyone,
    Im also new to Unity and just using it for a thesis Project. Im using Vuforia as well. My project works on play mode perfectly but when i want to build on the phone it gives me this error too:

Saving Prefab to immutable folder is not allowed: Packages/com.ptc.vuforia.engine/Vuforia/Prefabs/DefaultPlaneIndicator.prefab

Should i also just remove Vuforia and reinstall. Im really scared that that might spoil my project.

31. mz00956

mz00956

You should really create your own thread for your own problem. This has nothing to do with this thread and shouldn't be here.

I will say one thing.
    You can copy the entire project and add it to the Unity Hub as another project, then test there without worrying that you damage the original.
    For any other help please create your own thread

32. Alakelele

Alakelele

We are on the same page brother/sister, they have completely abandoned this, Unreal is no better, their VR editor doens't work anymore on 5.0.
    Unbelievable that they wouldn't put more time on it, think about the unbelievable promo videos they could do with a user building his world in VR and then playing it in VR. What a wasted opportunity.