Search Unity

Am I missing something?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Frost_Wolf_Games, Oct 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frost_Wolf_Games

Frost_Wolf_Games

Yesterday I posted a thread, stating that I am willing to handle the marketing campaigns to help developers make a much higher profit. But apparently, offering marketing services is not allowed? Am I missing something? Does Unity not want me to provide my rather rare set of skills to help the games developed on the unity platform succeed above and beyond? If a game is highly successful, that furthers the Unity brand. Win, win.

Now I say rare set of skills, and I do mean rare, learned from people who actually make millions. I believe I have something legitimately to offer but Unity seems to think that is a bad thing? I am sure other people in my field will have a similar idea but most likely with poor implementation, regardless I am perplexed by the choice Unity has made.

Do you believe marketing should be an available service? I do, too many times in the world people with a skill set believe that because they have a skill set they should go into business. As a game developer you are in business. You may have the greatest game in the world, but that does not mean your game will sell. I have seen this time and time again, this business is no different. You are not in the Game Development business, you are in the business of business. By allowing people to offer a marketing service, you are giving the struggling developer with no marketing or business skill a great chance of success. Depending on the person, I can only discuss the validity of my own skills.

Discuss.

2. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I guess if they don't want you here offering the service then making another thread might not have been a good idea. But I have no idea really only going by what you wrote.

I do think that coming in here offering service to people with absolutely nothing backing it up doesn't start out in the best way... where is the list of games you have created? Listing those games, videos of your games etc so people can see that you are the real deal and actually know more about marketing games than the people here do who are doing it... well this is kind of basic stuff, right? People need to see something from you otherwise it is just someone saying hey random person #17491 here pitching an offer.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  3. Ryiah

Ryiah

To my knowledge the only reason threads are ever outright deleted is if they were interpreted as spam. Without seeing the contents it's impossible to determine the likelyhood that the post was seen that way, but the characteristics of someone intending to spam are almost always that they have zero posts and that they registered the very day they intended to do it.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    GarBenjamin and Martin_H like this.
  4. Martin_H

Martin_H

They seem to care relatively little about their brand to be honest. Read one of the thousands of splashscreen discussions if you want details.

I do think marketing is one of the most reasonable things to outsource, but you already raised many red flags for me. One is your avatar which frankly looks terrible for anyone who knows the least bit about typography, and I expect anyone in marketing to at least know about how much these things matter, and if they can't do proper logos themselves then at least to outsource that work to someone who can. That alone for me puts everything you say into question.
    Then there's the fact that I know plenty of successful freelancers, and to my knowledge 0% of them go onto forums to fish for jobs. People who are good at what they do and have experience usually have more work coming their way than they can take on I would think. So that's another red flag to me.
    Then you say things like "Now I say rare set of skills, and I do mean rare, learned from people who actually make millions.", which to me is another giant red flag because in my experience the best of the best in any field are very humble people because they know all their limitations and are less affected by the Dunning Kruger effect.
    And if against all odds all that you say is true, you should be able to make big bucks outside of the games industry, so why bother with the small fry indie game devs that have no way to pay you anywhere near what you could make elsewhere? Seems highly irrational to me and I'd expect good marketers to be very rational and good with numbers. You need to have a plausible explanation for why you would want to market games. "help the games developed on the unity platform succeed above and beyond?" is marketing BS that no one here buys. You need to be more empathetic towards what people would believe and what they ignore.
    This all possibly sounded very hostile but I don't mean it that way at all! Consider it some free marketing advice from a communications designer :).

5. frosted

frosted

http://game-developers-marketing-innercircle.com/

I vote that this is spam. The entire thing is like a bad infomercial.

It's almost like a parody of bad marketing.

Honestly, if you don't market yourself well enough to not get deleted by mods, you don't deserve to sell your service.

6. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

It was posted in collaboration, which isn't for marketing spam, it is for game development collaboration. Please read the guidelines. Nor does it belong here. Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.