Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Am I missing a shortcut manager somewhere?

Discussion in '2018.3 Beta' started by bac9-flcl, Dec 4, 2018.

1. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

My most frequently used key combination is Alt+Shift+N, which creates a new child object. It's exceptionally useful when you are creating UI hierarchies and setting objects up in scenes. However, after installing 2018.3 beta for the first time, I discovered that it no longer works, simply triggering the following error in the console:

Code (csharp):
    1. Shortcut conflict detected for key binding Alt+Shift+N.
    2. Please resolve the conflict by rebinding one or more of the following shortcuts:
    3. GameObject/Create Empty Child (Alt+Shift+N)
    4. GameObject/Selection/Add New Child (Alt+Shift+N)
    6. UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallGlobalEventHandler()
    No biggie, I'll just visit the shortcut manager and rebind these... except there is no shortcut manager in Unity. There is an old Keys screen in the Editor Preferences, but it only exposes a small number of functions that doesn't include either of those GameObject operations. So, what gives? Maybe this is an erroneous merge from 2019.1 alpha, where the new shortcut manager is actually supposed to appear? Or maybe I'm overlooking a link to shortcut manager somewhere in the menus?

If I'm not missing anything, I'd appreciate advice on patching this behaviour out until shortcut manager arrives. I have Harmony patcher in my project, so if someone could suggest a good way to sabotage this conflict checker with an appended or prefixed code to any of the shortcut management class methods, I'd really appreciate the advice! It's all available in the reference source repository.

2. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

3. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

Yes, it is available in 2019.1, but why is a piece of validation logic that is interfering with old shortcuts included in 2018.3 when the shortcut editor isn't? :)

Grimreaper358 likes this.
  4. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

What beta version and platform are you using? QA reports it is working in 2018.3.b12

5. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

I'm on beta 11 at the moment and I don't see any notes about shortcut manager window being added in beta 12, just some fixes to isolated shortcuts. Was the shortcut manager window added in beta 12? Or do you mean the conflict from Alt+Shift+N was solved in beta 12? :)

Edit: Yeah, I just installed beta 12, shortcut window is not there (at least, where I expect it to be based on preview video, which is next to Snap Settings under the Edit menu) and the exact same error on Alt+Shift+N is still there, so I'm not sure what is "it" that you were referring to:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  6. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Have you tried the "Use Defaults" button in the Keys preferences yet? If that fails, could you please submit a bug report with your project in which the error occurs attached?