Search Unity

Am I good enough to start freelancing work?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kevenn, Sep 23, 2017.

1. kevenn

kevenn

Hello fellow developers/artists,

I'm interested in starting freelancing for 2D game art and or development and wanted to know where I stand. I want to know if my artwork/animation is good enough to start building a portfolio and aim towards freelancing.

Here is the game I've released on both android and IOS. I had worked on a few personal games projects in the past but this is the first time I've ever made a game with my own artwork.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.GameRoots.CrazyBats

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/crazy-bats/id1286574467?ls=1&mt=8

My main tools are Adobe Illustrator, Spine and Unity. I can't really draw (stickman drawing) but my rough sketches are good enough to let me make something in illustrator.

I've only recently started to use adobe illustrator. I've learned a good amount/basics of illustrator in almost a month. I can't draw but of course I will continue to learn more art techniques (gesture, perspective, anatomy, etc).

Feedback would be kindly appreciate. Am I good enough to start freelancing and how I compares to other freelancers? Thanks!

2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

One of my art teachers many years ago posed the question to the class 'What sets the value of a painting?'. The class discussed it for a while. We came up with several answers based on the subject material, style, quality of painting and fame of the artist. Eventually the teacher told us we were all wrong, and the correct answer was the person who buys it.

It's not about how good you are. It's about convincing someone to give you money in exchange for your skills.

So go try a couple freelancing jobs. If you can convince someone to pay for your work, you are good enough.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  3. neginfinity

neginfinity

I'd suggest to just go for it and give it a try. Chances are that there are people out there less skilled than you are who are making money off their work right now.

4. TonyLi

TonyLi

Why not do a couple weekend-long game jams first? They're short commitments, and teams are always looking for artists. It's a good way to build up a portfolio while getting experience making art to meet specifications. This way you don't need to market yourself yet or figure out how you're going to handle the business side, and you'll get a good idea of where you stand.

Anvoker, angrypenguin and Ryiah like this.
  5. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Agree with all above comments. However if you are attempting to bid on any contracts for animation work based on the game above - I would suggest not to waste your time. Sorry.
    There is virtually no animation in that game other than a flap cycle, which is about as basic as you can get.

Joining some game jams and/or some collaboration projects will help you improve and build up some more content to populate your portfolio more. Great thing about jams and collab projects - you get to work on the specific areas you want to - that the team needs help with, so you can concentrate on artwork and animation development, without the worry of the game ever shipping or being any good, because the programmer leaves or the mechanics are not great.
    You will still have content from the project you developed and can use for your portfolio down the road.

Kiwasi likes this.