Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

Am I doing something wrong or is Unity's terrain really garbage?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Marscaleb, May 26, 2022.

1. Marscaleb

Marscaleb

I can't get terrain to sculpt worth crap, and I keep looking around for tutorial on it, but all I find are things about the grass and trees and other features. But the terrain's actual geometry just won't sculpt properly, and I can't figure out what's wrong.

For starters, the smoothing tool, well, it doesn't smooth anything.

Let's say I have two flat sections and I want to have a gentle slope going between them. I simply can't acheive this. If I try to paint in some terrain betwen the two areas, no matter how carefully I approach the heigher edge, I still get overlap from the brush where it raises the higher section. This wouldn't be so bad if I could actually smooth the geometry afterward, but even with the tool strength pushed up to the maximum I can only slightly round a few rough edges; I have no ability to actually smooth out the shape into anything that looks natural.

I can try to terrace the area by making a series of strokes with the flatten tool, but these terraces still just don't smooth out into a single slope. I can polish it for five straight minutes and only get the edges rounded, not the actual shape of the geometry. I can use larger brushes and sharper brushes and smaller brushes and softer brushes, but I am constantly left with the same result.
    This is particularly frustrating when compared to the fact that I can't even set the paint to to a strength of "1" without it turning into a freaking firehose.

What am I doing wrong here? I can't fathom that Unity would actually make a terrain system this broken and still not fix it after three years. Why can't I sculpt my basic geometry?

unityunity