Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

am I allowed to make a Star-Wars game???

Discussion in 'Virtual Production' started by DrMethod, Mar 6, 2020.

1. DrMethod

DrMethod

Hi

I would like to make a little star-wars game.. am I allowed to publish it on google-play?

I would say no, but there is some stuff in the playstore, where I say, no way they bought a licence for that :D

does someone know that actually is`?

2. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

No ofcourse not. Doesnt matter what else is out there, that wont stand up in court. You cant say "well they were breaking the law so I thought I would too" and get away with it.

matkoniecz likes this.
  3. DrMethod

DrMethod

even if the game is not a starwars-game as whole.. it is just that in one level, you have to fly a spacescraft that looks veeeeeeery similar to a x-wing and destroy a enemy that looks veeeeery similar to the deathstar :D .. there would not been mentioned any starwars-related word.

4. ProgrammerTurtle

ProgrammerTurtle

This is not the place to get such advice. You need to talk with a lawyer about this. Especially with a lawyer who specializes in intellectual properties.

5. sinjinn

sinjinn

Yes. Phone Disney, ask for the "The Star Wars people". They will discuss it with you.

6. Ianx777

Ianx777

You can, but the game must be sufficiently different from Star Wars.

7. KennyOmegaga

KennyOmegaga

You can, just call it otherwise..i dunno "planet wars" or something like that.

8. DrMethod

DrMethod

I already t´hought about that, too.. but my game is veeeeeery star-wars :D .. i mean, i nice x-/b-/y-wings, tie-fighters, stardestroyers and all that stuff.. everything looks very original, soooooooo .. i dont know.. i really would like to finish the game because it looks reaaally nice..

9. LittleBean996

LittleBean996

Depend on what type game you wanna build.Shoot? Action?

10. LootHunter

LootHunter

It all depends how similar it all looks. If you use an actual image of Death Star or X-wing, Disney can definitely sue you. If you just use something that's not "veeeeery" similar, you can probably get away with it. See "Starchaser: Legend of Orin" for example.

11. PutridEx

PutridEx

If it makes no money, and isn't that known, no one will bother you.
    They will come knocking with an army of lawyers once it starts making nice amounts of money.

It's always like this. You can make games based on anything copyrighted, but once it gets attention/starts making money, they'll come.

I also doubt platforms would accept your game.
    You can release it on your own website, but like I said if it starts making nice $$ -- they'll come knocking.

LootHunter likes this.
  12. sxa

sxa

13. PutridEx

PutridEx

Nintendo's mention of advertisement revenue being generated on the site's game pages makes the reasoning behind the takedowns clear.

While most of the games affected remain entirely unplayable, some – such as a game called 'Five Nights at Yoshi’s' – has reportedly been reuploaded with all advertisements disabled. Its creator says, "After looking into it, I believe the fact there was profit being earned from advertisements on the game page was the reason for the takedown of this game among countless others."

14. neoshaman

neoshaman

The number of things that rip off star wars is actually astounding, you can probably do something if you change key aspects, you can do an x wing, just don't call it an x-wing and change some aspect of the design, for example a f-14 tomcat cockpit and fuselage with wing in x called a cross fighter, and te death star, it's just a big black metal moon, add some stuff and remove others:

not death star is not a death star

There is a case for bootleg production, just be very careful

LootHunter likes this.