Search Unity

Am I allowed to install Unity Free on more than one device?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by scriven_j, Jul 4, 2014.

1. scriven_j

scriven_j

Hi,

I am just starting to learn Unity and have installed it on my home machine. I thought it would be good to put it on my laptop too but am trying to understand the licence, I think it indicates that this is not allowed? Am I reading that correctly?

I would only ever need to use it on one device at a time, but it would be handy to have it installed in multiple locations whilst I am learning the ropes so that when I have time I can delve into it without having to cart around a different machine on the offchance that I will find some time on any given day.

Please can you clarify how this works on the free licence? (I am not a legal entity, just a bedroom coder). I cannot seem to find it mentioned in any of the FAQ's and I can't quite understand if I am understanding the licence properly or not?

Thanks!

Jon

2. Mabenan

Mabenan

you can install unity free on every device you want thousand of times :->.

how it is with the pro version i dont know.

3. scriven_j

scriven_j

Thanks Mabenan. Where did you get that information from?

4. makoto_snkw

makoto_snkw

You can install Unity on multiple machine using your free license.
    And you can open multiple instance of it too, if needed. ;P

5. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

You're allowed two installs per license, but you can get as many free licenses as you want. So, in practice, you can have as many free installs as you want.

Once you get paid licenses, then you'll have to start picking which machines you want it on.

6. scriven_j

scriven_j

Thanks for the replies. I am just concerned that the licence on installation states:-

(c) Free, Trial and Educational Product Restrictions. If you are using a free, trial or educational version of the Software, you may install the Software on a single computer only.

I am not a legal expert though and so this section might not relate to my situation.

Can someone link to something that shows that I am allowed to install on multiple devices?

Thanks!

Jon

7. superpig

superpig

That's slightly odd language in the license there. TBH I think your best bet is just to email sales and get written confirmation, if this is bothering you.

8. scriven_j

scriven_j

O.K. Do you know what Email address I can use?

9. chrisall76

chrisall76

Yes, your able to install on multiple devices. I have used Unity on about 3 devices so far.
    Free version allows installs anytime you want.
    Pro version only allows two machines using the same licence.

10. superpig

superpig

11. scriven_j

scriven_j

I appreciate everyone attempting to answer my question. I mistakenly believed that this forum was one where Unity staff would reply to this question. As no-one seems able to point me to a definitive link. I'm using the "contact us" form to try and get a clear answer. I'm trying to establish what is approved as opposed to what is possible. I'll post back if I get a response. If anyone has a link to the proof, then please still respond!

Jon

12. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

13. scriven_j

scriven_j

Hi everyone. So the response I got from Unity was:-

"Every paid commercial Unity license allows a single person to use Unity on two machines that they have exclusive use of. Be it a Mac and a PC or your Home and Work machines. Educational licenses sold via Unity or any one of our resellers are only good for a single activation. The same goes for Trial licenses, unless otherwise stated.

A Unity Free license is good for two simultaneous installations per seat. This is a courtesy service so that you may run Unity on both your laptop and desktop computer, for example.

It may only be used by a single person, however, and not simultaneous usage by multiple people."

Thank you superpig for the most accurate reponse!

14. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Unity peeps do frequent this forum. And we try and help out where we can.

15. scriven_j

scriven_j

That's good to know Graham. What I meant was I thought this was the "official" support channel and that only Unity staff would be answering questions. Still finding my feet I guess!

16. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

It's a community site and we all help each other. :)

17. scriven_j

scriven_j

United in Unity, huh? :D