Search Unity

Always fun spending a day upgrading

Discussion in 'Web' started by nsmith1024, Jul 13, 2018.

1. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

Its always fun spending a whole day upgrading. What ever I had planned to do today has now been erased.

I just upgraded from 2018.1 to 2018.2 and of course it doesnt build anymore, and all my prefabs are messed up because of Text Mesh Pro.

Since i cant open previous project to see what was connected to where, i have to reinstall the old version again, see what was connected to where, and then re-install the new one, and then re-wire up everything. Its so cool when weeks of work has been undone with one upgrade, since Unity has now added this "Packages" thing to the project, all my Text Mesh Pro settings in a million places have been trashed!

Its like going to drive your car and all the controls has been randomly been rearranged while you were sleeping, and you're late for work!

Love it!!

Fun Fun Fun!!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  2. sebastiansgames

sebastiansgames

Lol. I have been there. Raising a glass to you, and fingers crossed you make it through to the other side!

3. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

I did it, took me 18 hours working straight to upgrade from 2018.1 to 2018.2

4. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

after another fun day turns out i have to downgrade back to 2018.1 because photon networking not working for me in 2018.2

more fun!

5. andrzej_cadp

andrzej_cadp

Maybe it's time to use git? With git repository, you can go back to the commit before 2018.2 upgrade :) You should make backup on repository anyway.

6. mountblanc

mountblanc

First of all I would use the Unity hub to easily switch between versions.
    https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/01/24/streamline-your-workflow-introducing-unity-hub-beta/

Second: I would check the forum before switching to find out what the troubles would be.
    The textmeshpro problems and possible fixes are discussed here:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/textmesh-pro-unity-2018-1.511748/

What i do myself is copy the project to an other location and run that copied project with the new unity version to see whats going on. After testing i decide to take the (sometimes) dreaded step to migrate.

I myself have moved my project on and on from Unity 4.6 to 2017.4.4f1 so i have seen it all.
    My project broke very bad a few times even at the point I had to do the animations over. Its the price to pay for getting to the new features at times. Most annoying is Assets that are not working anymore and are not updated by their creators. Lucky Unity now has LTS releases wish are maintained for 2 years. So i stick to 2017.4 myself until perhaps 2018.3 just to get the nested prefabs.

Good luck!