Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Assets AltTrees System [WIP] [AssetStore]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Diab1O, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Diab1O

Diab1O

This function is almost ready. I will try to finish it in the next update.
    Sorry, I tested only on the PC.
    It is in the plans, but not yet implemented.
    The system can only convert SpeedTree, TreeCreator and custom meshes to AltTree. This is not a system for creating and editing the trees.

roskelld and olavrv like this.
  2. Diab1O

Diab1O

Happy New Year everyone!:)

olavrv likes this.
  3. Mark_T

Mark_T

Happy New Year mate!
    And Thanks for this great asset!

Diab1O likes this.
  4. tequyla

tequyla

Hi,

is possible to look an integration with Map Magic World Generator ?

+++

Nateply likes this.
  5. Diab1O

Diab1O

Hello!
    I must first finish core system - the basic functions.
    Then I'll think about integration with popular systems.

6. Mark_T

Mark_T

I would rather see some global spawning solution based on layer, slope/angle, altitude, normal and image/alpha based masking, something similar to Landscaper. Or to save time, integration with Landscaper to be the first one. :)

simonjewell likes this.
  7. Diab1O

Diab1O

Okay, I wrote it down.

8. Killersan

Killersan

For me I would gladly see implemented such solution for normal objects like rocks and such which are most repeatable objects on most of maps.

9. Diab1O

Diab1O

Hello!
    Normal objects can be used. In the demo video has mushrooms and stumps. You can also add any other items.

10. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

This looks bloody fantastic!

olavrv and Diab1O like this.
  11. Diab1O

Diab1O

Thank you!:)

12. olavrv

olavrv

It bloody is! For the first time we can fill our 80km x 80km terrain with beautiful trees :D

John-G and Diab1O like this.
  13. simonjewell

simonjewell

Is there any quick way to reset the system and delete all trees? I'm still only getting about 15FPS (up from about 5FPS with the terrain trees though), so I want to re-do all my trees and try again.

14. Diab1O

Diab1O

Hey!
    You can remove an object "AltTrees" from scene and add a new one.
    Can you show me a screenshot of the scene with the 15 FPS?

15. simonjewell

simonjewell

I did try removing the AltTrees object, but when I added a new one, all the old trees were still present. In the end I deleted the folder from AltTreesData, which seems to have done the trick.

As a result, I don't have the scene with 15FPS anymore - I'm importing a new set of trees (only 115k instead of 350k) as I type this. I was getting about 10,000 batches before - could it have anything to do with the number of tree prototypes I was using? I had 13, but my new test is only using a single tree prototype. I'll let you know how I get on.

16. Killersan

Killersan

But they have to be a part of terrain objects right ? If so it will be hard to adjust them at some point (change their position and such).

17. Diab1O

Diab1O

No.
    You can add an object to AltTrees and put it anywhere. Watch this video: link
    It shows the work with a tree but with the objects - the same.
    Or I misunderstood the question?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  18. Diab1O

Diab1O

Version 0.9.7, WIP:

Added support PBR

Legacy Render:
    bild 2017-01-03 19-23-12-83.jpg

PBR:
    bild 2017-01-03 19-24-32-20.jpg

You can configure PBR parameters for each tree.

AndyNeoman and magique like this.
  19. zmaxz

zmaxz

HI~~
    is it possible let the wind works with all LOD(LOD0 ,LOD1,LOD2,LOD3,.......,Billboard)?

20. Diab1O

Diab1O

Hi!
    Wind is currently working with all LODs.
    Wind for billboards I'll do in the future versions.

21. Diab1O

Diab1O

Update 0.9.6.1 is available in the AssetStore!

Changes:
    - Fixed billboards (thanks @larsbertram1)
    - Fixed installer
    - Fixed wind
    - The camera is no longer needed tag MainCamera
    - Fixed a lot of bugs

Attention! For Unity 5.4.0+:
    Due to an error serialization Unity, automatic updates broken.
    I recommend installing the update in an empty project (without AltTrees).

How install to not an empty project (with AltTrees):
    1. Create backup project
    2. Open empty scene.
    3. Run Update AltTrees(with the installer)
    4. Select the file "Assets/Plugins/AltSystems/AltTrees/DataBase/AltTreesDataLinks.asset", and assign a script "AltTreesDataLinks" on the missing script.
    5. To all trees(Assets/Plugins/AltSystems/AltTrees/DataBase/Trees) assign script AltTree.
    6. To all altTreesManagerData files(Assets/Plugins/AltSystems/AltTrees/DataBase/AltTreesData/[id]) assign script AltTreesManagerData.
    7. Open your scene with AltTrees. Assign script AltTrees to AltTreesManager.

Please report all problems found. Thank you for your patience! :)

magique likes this.
  22. Frednaar

Frednaar

Hi, I really like your asset, but billboards have the typical problem of not looking very good from top down view such as for flying games as billboards are aligned to the camera and look flat from top and rotated towards the camera position in XZ plan

A nice addition would be to give the option to create 3 billboards along the X,Z and Y axis and not rotate them towards the camera as some games do.

(I really hope you can find a solution as I am working on a flying game)

Otherwise great great asset , congratulations !

Attached Files:

23. zmaxz

zmaxz

Hi~
    I have found something strange .
    1500 calls come with AltTree for nothing( Whole planeBillboard position at 0,0,0 ),
    Is it a bug ?
    altError.jpg

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  24. Diab1O

Diab1O

Hi,
    I plan to do different types of billboards in future updates.

Wow, I'll check, thank you.

25. txarly

txarly

hi, i am using unistorm weather system, unistorm changes the wind depending of the weather conditions
    is there a way to use the unistorm wind system in place of altwind?

thanks

26. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

Unistorm uses its own foliage shaders to handle adaptive wind.
    Perhaps they should just use reflection and gain access to the hidden windzone/terrain wind properties instead.
    It's not difficult.

Windzones can affect grass and particle systems as well.

27. magique

magique

As I was trying this out the other day, I had one persistent issue. It was mostly impossible to place trees in the correct location when the scene was zoomed out even a little bit. The tree placement brush was always far from the correct location. But if I zoomed in closer to the areas where I wanted to place trees then the brush shows up in the correct location on the ground. Note that this was testing on a mesh terrain and not Unity terrain. So the results may be different for Unity terrain.

28. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Hi all,

Is anyone getting batching with AltTrees?

I'm not getting a single one which is unexpected. I'm also not getting anywhere near the 1000's of trees at the moment either. I have found an issue with Aquas and reflections but even with out that I would have expected to lay down more trees.

It is still very early days and off course an improvement over the terrain tree's and great value but I just looking for a few pointers really to get more trees in there.

29. Diab1O

Diab1O

Hi,

At the moment, it is impossible. I'm doing the API to be able to change the trees and the wind from the code.

30. Diab1O

Diab1O

Hi,
    What means "when the scene was zoomed out"?
    And can you show a screenshot? I do not understand the problem.
    Hi,
    batching impossible. AltTrees itself combines billboards, to improve performance.

AndyNeoman likes this.
  31. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Thanks Diab,

Is there any tutorial on getting higher tree density in the scene? Which options do you recommend tweaking to get the most in there?

My game is set in dense jungle so this is the most important feature for me.

32. Diab1O

Diab1O

This article is not currently exist. In the near future I will write to her.
    The next update will improve the performance.
    You can send me screenshots of your scene + screenshots with the option "Debug Billboards DrawCalls". I look, and give recommendations for setting.

AndyNeoman likes this.
  33. Killersan

Killersan

Yes, that is exactly what I wanted to achieve.
    Is it possible to migrate objects to Your system ? I mean I got map already populated. Nothing integrated with terrain, all as separate objects.

34. magique

magique

I will record a video to show the issue.

Diab1O likes this.
  35. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Thanks, im sure it is because I am getting used to the system but i just did a quick test, 5000 trees getting 120+fps at all times, converted them to Alttrees (no changes) and now it gets 80-90fps but also the odd drop to single digits. The look is much improved, so i am happy with that but I was hoping the performance would go up (or at least stay the same).

I will play around with it a bit more and if i am still having problems I will take you up on the offer :).

36. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Im getting this error - not sure if its related to the slower performance. I am also getting a simila error with uNature so i am wondering if the two are having compatibility issues.

Anyone else using the together?

Assertion failed on expression: 'm_PreloadTextureAtlasData.size () == m_DetailPrototypes.size ()'
    UnityEditor.AssetDatabase:SaveAssets()
    AltSystems.AltTrees.Editor.AltTrees_Editor:Import() (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/AltSystems/AltTrees/AltTrees_Editor.cs:1679)
    AltSystems.AltTrees.Editor.ImportTreeWindow:Convert() (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/AltSystems/AltTrees/ImportTreeWindow.cs:754)
    AltSystems.AltTrees.Editor.ImportTreeWindow:OnGUI() (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/AltSystems/AltTrees/ImportTreeWindow.cs:192)
    UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

37. Diab1O

Diab1O

It will be possible in the next update.
    Maybe this is a problem in the grass? https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/m_preloadtextureatlasdata-size-m_detailprototypes-size.351643/

38. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Hey, just thought I'd leave some feedback as I bought it a few days back:

1. There is a lag at when the game starts and the trees are populating, on my laptop it can take up to 30 seconds.
    2. There are occasional freezes during gameplay.
    3. Please add the option to place all trees of all types.
    4. Please add the option to clear all trees, or selected trees only.
    5. There is a noticeable lag when placing trees.

Overall nice work so far, I noticed the performance improvement, though without the option to clear all trees I haven't been able to test it as much as I wanted.

39. Diab1O

Diab1O

Hey! Thanks for the feedback!

1. I am working on it. How many trees in your scene?
    2. I will soon fix it.
    3. I will add it in future updates.
    4. I will add it in future updates.
    5. I will soon fix it.

40. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Ok great! I've tried it on various old projects, with varying amount of trees, but there is always some lag. Hopefully I'll have more time to test it over the weekend. I was mostly testing it with this excellent Tropical Forest pack but I also noticed that when the camera looks up, the billboards are clearly visible at the top of the trees. The pack includes a giant canopy tree, which may have caused this problem. But I'll test it more later, maybe I set it up incorrectly.

EDIT: Before I forget, an option to select Billboard only would be useful for racing games where the player won't go near the trees.

41. Diab1O

Diab1O

Okay, good idea!

42. Killersan

Killersan

Sorry for digging this but any timeframe for that feature ? We are almost ready to release and we would like to include Your package in our project as optimization thing.

43. Diab1O

Diab1O

Before the end of January.

Killersan likes this.
  44. simonjewell

simonjewell

I've noticed a large increase in performance with the latest update - good work! I don't seem to be getting any LOD for my tree though. Some trees close to the camera are at LOD0, but everything else is always a billboard. I've tried changing loads of settings on the tree itself and the AltTrees script, but I don't seem to be able to get LOD1 or LOD2 to appear.

Also, sometimes I can drive right through a billboard tree. What I really want is to make sure I never see a billboard close up, even when travelling at up to 200mph. Could you suggest a combination of settings that would give this effect?

Keep up the good work though, this is a really excellent asset.

45. magique

magique

Here is the issue I was talking about. You'll also notice that the response is extremely sluggish. Whenever I move the mouse to a new location it takes about a second for the brush to catch up. And the brush is rarely in the correct spot unless I zoom in close to the mesh terrain.

46. magique

magique

I'm also getting the following errors when running the game in the editor:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    AltSystems.AltTrees.Editor.AltTrees_Editor.OnEnable () (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/AltSystems/AltTrees/AltTrees_Editor.cs:131)

NullReferenceException: (null)
    UnityEditor.SerializedObject..ctor (UnityEngine.Object[] objs) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/SerializedPropertyBindings.gen.cs:74)
    UnityEditor.Editor.GetSerializedObjectInternal () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/EditorBindings.gen.cs:154)
    UnityEditor.Editor.get_serializedObject () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/EditorBindings.gen.cs:147)
    UnityEditor.TransformInspector.OnEnable () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/TransformInspector.cs:26)

I thought this might have something to do with the serialization issue you mentioned that occurs in 5.4, but I imported AltTrees into empty project and copied into my main project after that.

In addition, the fix you provided for the Wii U isn't included in the latest package so I had to copy over the file you provided to patch it.

47. magique

magique

More issues on Wii U. I see tree leaves that are a mixture of correct looking leaves and some that have white outlines on them. Also, a very strange situation where the tree seem to bend backwards 90 degrees and then it looks like leaf geometry flies off the trees when the tree snaps back into place. It's very bizarre. In addition, there are 1-2 places in the scene that frame rate just plummets every time I'm in those areas. I now have generate billboards at start checked, but that hasn't helped. It seems like this is definitely not going to work on Wii U at this time.

[EDIT]
    By turning off mesh and billboard cross-fade I get rid of the weird bending and leaf fly off issue, but I still have the white outline leaves and frame rate drops in specific areas.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  48. Diab1O

Diab1O

Hi! Can you send me screenshots of your scene with the option "Debug Billboards DrawCalls"?

Wow. In another scene the same?
    Other questions I will try to fix in the next update.

49. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Hey, I thought of a feature for the future once all the bugs are ironed out. It is to randomly spawn the trees and foliage at run time, so that every game would be different. Also the ability to add tags and layers, so that they can be avoided using an AI system without having to add colliders, useful for sniping games, etc.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  50. magique

magique

In a scene where the ground is just a flat plane it seems to work better as far as brush positioning, but it's very sluggish in every scene I've tried it in so far.