Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Assets AltTrees System [WIP] [AssetStore]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Diab1O, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Diab1O

Diab1O

Unfortunately, the progress is 0% =(

Currently impossible

Very strange. What version of Unity and the version of the AltTrees?

2. zelmund

zelmund

unity 5.6.3p2
    altrees last version on asset store

but... sems all ok now... reloaded unity and problems gone
    dont know how it hapened but cant reproduce it. hope it was single random error.

Diab1O likes this.
  3. Ruben_Chris

Ruben_Chris

Oh well, I guess I'll have to do without it for now. Would be nice if it was included in the next update though :)

4. roland-tts

roland-tts

I'm having an issue where converting trees results in empty billboards, the demo tree (Broadleaf_Desktop) works fine but if I try and convert one of the free speedtree models (e.g. Broadleaf_Mobile) then the billboard never displays, in editor or play mode. I'm running with 5.6.0f3 and the latest version of AltTrees.
    I've tried changing lots of settings and apart from the textures looking a bit weird everything else between the working demo tree and the newly converted tree seems to be the same.
    Any suggestions on what might be causing this?

5. roland-tts

roland-tts

No problem, I worked out the issue, I had an import script that defaulted texture wrap mode to clamp, changing the billboard textures back to repeat made the billboards appear normally.

6. roland-tts

roland-tts

I'm seeing a render issue where the LoD's don't seem to be getting calculated correctly. This is most obvious when the billboard groups switch in as most of the trees are still rendering as meshes and they all suddenly pop into billboards. I think the problem is related to the scale of the trees as in many cases the trees are being scaled by 0.5. The scale is being applied to the LoD range per tree but not for the group.
    Another effect this is having is when transitioning from billboard groups the group disappears and the trees slowly build up as meshes from nothing.
    Any ideas on how I could fix this? Other than trying to make my tree scale closer to 1?

7. Diab1O

Diab1O

I will try!

I think that the processor does not have time. Do you do it on a PC or on a mobile?
    Show me the screenshot of the manager settings.

Ruben_Chris likes this.
  8. zelmund

zelmund

hi there.
    have 2 questions:

1. how to reduce "glossy specular" effect on billboards trees? (see pict)?

2. when i trying to paint trees manualy, it seem intensity on brush is way too high. even if a set tree count placement to 1, its still cannot be placed normaly like painting in regular terrain tree brush. is there any way to reduce it more?

Attached Files:

9. Wolfieman

Wolfieman

I'm having trouble with chunks of trees disappearing and then reloading while I'm moving around the map. Usually it's trees I'm walking towards, sometimes it's random ones, sometimes it's ones that are right in front of me. I've done a lot of tweaking and haven't been able to fix it. Otherwise works great but has anyone found a fix for this? (Running a higher-end PC)

@zelmund I had the same problem with tree density at least, you can change the "number of trees" when you're in AltTrees brush mode to control how many trees are placed by the brush

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

what format does the mesh have to be for it to be converted to alt-tree? I can't find anything relating to that.

11. Diab1O

Diab1O

Hello!
    Sorry for late answer!
    I do not know what the problem is. What are these trees?

Have you tried changing the parameter "Speed Place"?

12. Diab1O

Diab1O

Hi,
    Try playing around with the values "Distance Patch Factor".

13. Diab1O

Diab1O

One mesh(two sabmesh). One sabmesh - foliage, the second sabmesh - the trunk.

14. zelmund

zelmund

this is altree, converted from speedtree

i set to minimum all parametrs and cant controll grow number of trees. ill try explain that on videos later

15. zelmund

zelmund

have another problem.
    button "Update Billboard texture & refresh scene" do not creating normal map for billboard. its creating similar diffuse texture but with blue background.

upd:
    i found out that bug happens if i try to upload billboard texture when instancing is turned on.
    if i turn off instancing and upload texture then normal map generate what i need

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  16. zelmund

zelmund

and again new problem:
    after updating trees in speed tree modeler, normal for leaves wont update

Attached Files:

17. JDrem1

JDrem1

HI guys.

I am looking Alt Trees, as I am building (or rather learning to build) for VR. And I am experiencing major slowdown now with both terrain, and trees, and really need to squeeze any additional frames I can.

Two quick questions please, for anyone who has experience, and can help with both / either of the queries.

1. I have no experience with coding. But I saw (Or think I saw) that for implementation into Unity 2017 code/script changes need to be done.
    Am I correct in this. Or will it plug and play in 2017 without any code changes?

2, Has anyone used it with VR.
    And if so, are there any problems with billboard dancing?

I appreciate any help. :)

18. zelmund

zelmund

no need to code anything. its just works how it is. unity 2017 is free to use, you can check it in fresh project.

yes, billboards has their disco. but if you dont use cards on speed tree, all just fine and dancing on far billboards not so visible.

19. Candac59

Candac59

Hi :)

Any news for integration with MapMagic ?

20. zelmund

zelmund

got 2 errors and trees not showing up:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    AltSystems.AltTrees.AltTreesManager.addInitObjPool (AltSystems.AltTrees.AltTree go) (at Assets/Plugins/AltSystems/AltTrees/Scripts/AltTreesManager.cs:2815)
    AltSystems.AltTrees.AltTreesManager.addPatch (AltSystems.AltTrees.AltTreesPatch _patch, Boolean isNew) (at Assets/Plugins/AltSystems/AltTrees/Scripts/AltTreesManager.cs:2496)
    AltSystems.AltTrees.AltTrees.Init (Boolean _draw) (at Assets/Plugins/AltSystems/AltTrees/Scripts/AltTrees.cs:267)
    AltSystems.AltTrees.AltTrees.UpdateFunk () (at Assets/Plugins/AltSystems/AltTrees/Scripts/AltTrees.cs:441)
    AltSystems.AltTrees.AltTrees.OnDrawGizmos () (at Assets/Plugins/AltSystems/AltTrees/Scripts/AltTrees.cs:420)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

SPAMING in editor:
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    AltSystems.AltTrees.AltTreesManager.UpdateFunk () (at Assets/Plugins/AltSystems/AltTrees/Scripts/AltTreesManager.cs:1269)
    AltSystems.AltTrees.AltTrees.UpdateFunk () (at Assets/Plugins/AltSystems/AltTrees/Scripts/AltTrees.cs:448)
    AltSystems.AltTrees.AltTrees.OnDrawGizmos () (at Assets/Plugins/AltSystems/AltTrees/Scripts/AltTrees.cs:420)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

help please.

21. magique

magique

Looks like your latest store version has editor code preventing stand-alone builds. You need to make sure you try your demo scenes as stand-alone builds. Here are the errors:

Assets/Plugins/AltSystems/AltTrees/Scripts/AltTreesPatch.cs(2016,32): error CS0103: The name `AssetDatabase' does not exist in the current context

Assets/Plugins/AltSystems/AltTrees/Scripts/AltTreesPatch.cs(2016,21): error CS0103: The name `pathStr2' does not exist in the current context

This is easily fixed by insuring the #if UNITY_EDITOR code is wrapped around this section. The file is AltTreesPatch.cs.

Also, the latest version no longer works on the Wii U. I get the following compiler errors when trying to build for the Wii U:

Shader error in 'AltTrees/Leaves Bumped': Compilation Error for pixel shader
    error code: HW_UNSUPPORTED
    error string: Not enough GPRs to compile the shader. Fragment Shader not supported by HW
    (on wiiu)

Shader error in 'AltTrees/Instanced/TreeCreatorBark': Compilation Error for pixel shader
    error string: Not enough GPRs to compile the shader. Fragment Shader not supported by HW
    (on wiiu)

Shader error in 'AltTrees/Billboard': Compilation Error for pixel shader
    (on wiiu)

Shader error in 'AltTrees/Leaves': Compilation Error for pixel shader
    (on wiiu)

Shader error in 'AltTrees/Bark Bumped': Compilation Error for pixel shader
    (on wiiu)

Shader error in 'AltTrees/Instanced/Bark': Compilation Error for pixel shader
    (on wiiu)

Shader error in 'AltTrees/Bark': Compilation Error for pixel shader
    (on wiiu)

Shader error in 'AltTrees/Instanced/Leaves Bumped': Compilation Error for pixel shader
    (on wiiu)

It seems that you've implemented instancing and made it mandatory, but Unity for the Wii U doesn't support instancing.

eaque likes this.
  22. creat327

creat327

Also, I've just tried it after a long long time and I don't see a speed benefit when using unity default tree maker. If you use speedtrees, yes, it makes a difference because speedtrees = horribly slow. (ironic they call it speedtrees).
    But if you just get the tree creator, no speed trees, place 100k trees on the terrain. Run. 150fps on my machine. Then convert to alttrees. Run. 70 fps on my machine.

All your videos show speedtrees, although your description says it's for unity tree creator too. Do you have a video where it shows it to be faster than unity default system?

23. magique

magique

Developer last seen here on December 2017. I hope everything is OK. I don't think I can use this anymore with the changes made.

24. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I have switched to Vegetation Studio its a much more complete system

25. magique

magique

I have VS too, but I still need a tree solution for the Wii U and VS won't run on the Wii U. his used too, but now it doesn't.

26. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Have you addressed it with Lennart? He is very fast to work with

27. magique

magique

It's a long story. Lennart actually contacted me well before the VS beta asking if I would be a tester to try it on the Wii U. I agreed. Early on there was some hope that it would work on Wii U, but over time it became impossible. Unity just doesn't support the full feature set of the Wii U so there is no way to make it work.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  28. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Alright,lucky for me I'm desktop only :D

29. FalconCGN

FalconCGN

Hi, I currently have a scene with a terrain and 803 trees/bushes placed on it. With the Unity terrain system I have around 380 FPS, with AltTrees only around 200 FPS. I imported the trees from the terrain and I am using Speedtree trees and Unity Tree Creator bushes. What am I doing wrong?

30. Freznosis

Freznosis

I'd hate to advertise but the asset is most likely dead and the author hasn't been on the forums since last year. You're better off getting VS or Critias at this point. If you are aiming for low end devices, I'd recommend just sticking with the Unity tree system or grabbing Lush LOD if you want to squeeze as much performance as possible out of lower end systems.

31. magique

magique

I agree with you on all but the Lush LOD part. That system promises great performance on low-end systems, but it doesn't deliver. I tried in just simple billboard mode on the Wii U and it ran worse than having full SpeedTrees in the scene.

32. Freznosis

Freznosis

I haven't had problems with it, it's performed better than the standard tree system for me. Perhaps it's because I only develop for Windows/Linux/Mac.. the system might be useless on consoles for all we know. VS has blown all of the previous systems out of the water though, and I'd say Critias comes in a close second. So probably better to try for Critias?

33. magique

magique

I'd say use VS, but price could be an issue for some.

AtomsInTheVoid likes this.
  34. rocky1138

rocky1138

I really wish this asset wasn't abandoned. I'm a customer, but I don't think I'll ever see support for my issue. I'm experiencing painfully slow FPS in the editor. I did notice a checkbox in the settings area that is supposed to bring the in-editor FPS up but it doesn't help.

Latest version of AltTrees from Asset Store and 2018.1.6f1.

35. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Look into vegetation studio instead

36. recon0303

recon0303

Ya VS is pretty amazing, Infini Grass 2 will be here any day as well...I wrote this tool off a long time ago..

37. Ruben_Chris

Ruben_Chris

It's sad to see a tool like this being abandoned when it has so much potential.

38. magique

magique

True. Up until he made some breaking changes it even worked on the Wii U and was the only solution that gave me a performance boost on that platform.

39. Ruben_Chris

Ruben_Chris

Yeah. I wish someone would take over the project instead of it just dying out.

StevenPicard and magique like this.
  40. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

It would be cool if one asset author could give upgrade prices for another artists asset. So if you had bought Alt trees you got a cheaper price for VS, I bet Lennart would get some customers from that, win - win

Ruben_Chris likes this.
  41. Pecek

Pecek

I'm pretty sure Unity will introduce its own solution in the next 6-8 months, they have almost everything in place already(ECS, proper GPU Instancing with GI support, they just updated the terrain engine as well and apparently they have support for Speedtree 8 with new, PBR shaders (I'm not really sure how this works though since currently there is no ST8 modeler for Unity, in fact it's listed as TBD on the ST site) - but it's listed as a 2018.3 beta feature on the roadmap anyway). Until then there is always VegetationStudio(but VS has its own issues as well, it works better than anything else currently available but far from perfect - especially if you need colliders, due to the lack of object pooling you get 300+ms lag spikes for example, kind of a deal breaker for most cases IMHO).

Mark_01 and Soul-Challenger like this.
  42. Soul-Challenger

Soul-Challenger

Such a pity this is not being further developed. Alttrees was/is the only solution that enables me to have >150K trees placed on a 4x4km terrain, while not destroying performance. Really got used to this great tool - gonna miss it. :(

Beware_Alttrees.gif

As a modest thanks for your work Diab1O, here's a little demo using Alttrees: https://www.indiedb.com/games/beware/downloads/beware-demo-v001

StevenPicard and magique like this.
  43. maxaud

maxaud

Your game is looking good. Remember seeing pics on the volumetric fog thread too.

44. gonglin

gonglin

Does it support WebGL platform?

45. gonglin

gonglin

After imported a speedtree grass,the LOD1 and LOD2 are right, but the billboard always shows the sample tree's billboard, could you suggest where I am missing?

46. magique

magique

This asset has been dead for a very long time. It should have been deprecated ages ago. The author stopped working on it years ago and has never been seen since.

47. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

oh, it just has been updated.

48. magique

magique

Wow, that's great. It's been 2 years since he last did anything and the asset certainly looked dead. I PM'd him earlier today to ask about it and got no response yet. Glad to see it's back in development. I really liked this.

49. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Anyone compared performance to veg studio?

50. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Looks like it's once again abandoned. Another year has passed. That's really too bad. This was a very promising asset.