Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Alternatives to 'computeWorldPosition'

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by leeham9, Jan 30, 2019.

1. leeham9

leeham9

I'm looking to try optimizing my game a bit, and I noticed that I use 'computeWorldPosition' quite a bit.

Apparently it's quite resource intensive, and Unity has suggested using 'TransformObjectToWorld' instead. The issue, is that I'm not entirely sure how to use TransformObjectToWorld? I couldn't really find any documentation on it either. I've tried to apply the 4x4matrix of TransformObjectToWorld to a Vector3, but it always seems to be a bit off?

Any help with this would be appreciated, and if I missed something in the documentation please link it for me!

reallyhexln likes this.
  2. reallyhexln

reallyhexln

The same issue.
    I can convert world points to local points, window points to world points, world points to window points, get world position and get local position, but can not convert local position to world position.
    Is there no way to reach this with Tiny?

3. Rupture13

Rupture13

Not sure if it would be better, but you could write your own function to calculate the world position, since the world position from an entity is basically recursively the world position of its parent added to its own (local) position.

reallyhexln likes this.
  4. ER_Dolleman

ER_Dolleman

This is how I'm doing it right now:
    Code (JavaScript):
    2. public static ToGlobalPosition(world: ut.World, entity: ut.Entity):Vector3 {
    4.             let node = world.getComponentData(entity, ut.Core2D.TransformNode);
    5.             let transform = world.getComponentData(entity, ut.Core2D.TransformLocalPosition);
    7.             let worldpos = transform.position;
    9.             let parent = node.parent;
    10.             while(!parent.isNone()) {
    11.                 let parentTransform = world.getComponentData(parent, ut.Core2D.TransformLocalPosition);
    12.                 worldpos = parentTransform.position.add(worldpos);
    14.                 parent = world.getComponentData(parent, ut.Core2D.TransformNode).parent;
    15.             }
    17.             return worldpos;
    18. }
    Not sure if this is better for performance however

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    reallyhexln likes this.
  5. reallyhexln

reallyhexln

Thank you very much, elroydolleman_unity!
    computeWorldPosition having problems with calculating position for hierarchy with UI layouts, your solution do not have such issue, it just works.
    Thank you again!

ER_Dolleman likes this.
  6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Code (CSharp):
    1. const transformMatrix = world.getComponentData(entity, TransformObjectToWorld).matrix
    2. const pos = new Vector3().applyMatrix4(transformMatrix)

ER_Dolleman likes this.