Search Unity

alternative to theora codec?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by okimoki, Jul 16, 2012.

1. okimoki

okimoki

Hi,
    probably discussed before, but I cant find anything..
    I just realized that Unity converts every movie to Theora codec - which is has no support for hardware acceleration and its performance is not good enough for the professional use i would like to use it for..
    Is there alternative to it? Is there a plugin or something that would allow playing of lets say H264 movie textures??

2. amirabiri

amirabiri

I came across the same problem and couldn't find anything. You can check unity answers btw you will find a couple of questions there on this matter.

As far as I can right now, the only viable solution is writing a little plugin that uses libVLC or something similar. I was able to run an mpeg with excellent performance using libvlc with about 6 lines of C code. However the tricky part is integrating into Unity's rendering pipeline. There is documentation about how to do it, it's just that at that point I decided I should come back to it later because we had more pressing issues.

If you want I can send you what I have so far perhaps you could continue with such a plugin?

3. StefanoCecere

StefanoCecere

4. okimoki

okimoki

Thanks krur, exactly what i was looking for! :)

5. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Yes, we have a few video related plugins for Unity including playback of h264, avi, mov, mp4 etc... Links in my signature below.